This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    All on an electrical circuit. If one below fails to release, the circuit stays open and the ones above never get a signal/power to open
    Very cool, thank you!
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• (Not sure where this goes.)

Availability and Use of Aircraft in the Air Force and Navy

Jan 5, 2022 Congressional Budget Office

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57713

CBO analyzes patterns in the availability and use of the Air Force’s and Department of the Navy’s aircraft since 2001. CBO also analyzes how the military aircraft have performed since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic.

In this report, the Congressional Budget Office analyzes patterns in the availability and use of military aircraft by the Air Force and the Department of the Navy (DoN, which encompasses both the Navy and the Marine Corps). CBO looks at availability—a measure of the percentage of time aircraft can be flown on training or missions—and flying hours per aircraft per year.

CBO finds that from 2001 through 2019:
      • Aircraft availability rates declined in both the Air Force and DoN, but the decline was more marked in DoN;
      • Driven by a marked decline in the availability of F/A-18C/D legacy Hornets, the availability rates of DoN’s fighters and attack aircraft fell considerably more than those of the Air Force’s fighters and attack aircraft; and
      • Flying hours per aircraft declined in both the Air Force and DoN.
      CBO also finds that during the coronavirus pandemic:
      • Fleetwide availability rates increased in both the Air Force and DoN during the early months of the pandemic; and
      • Flying hours declined for both the Air Force and DoN, but the Air Force’s decline was proportionally greater.

The measure of the availability rate that CBO used in this analysis is typically lower than the Department of Defense’s (DoD’s) rate. CBO’s measure counts aircraft in depot-level maintenance or storage as being unavailable. In contrast, DoD measures only the availability of aircraft that are located with operating squadrons. DoD’s measure could be boosted by moving unflyable aircraft in the squadrons to depot status.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Pretty simple reason why...the same sources of supply for new construction are also the sources of supply for fleet repair parts

Its called diminishing manufacturing sources and material shortages (DMSMS) a very real problem as we deal with more technically advanced systems.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Looking at some pictures from the RIAT. A few F-35s got me to wondring

Many, especially European AFs use Roundels of various colors for their aircraft insignia. Now that the F-35 has everything dark grey, How do you tell which AF the plane belongs to?

Comment

Looking at some pictures from the RIAT. A few F-35s got me to wondring

Many, especially European AFs use Roundels of various colors for their aircraft insignia. Now that the F-35 has everything dark grey, How do you tell which AF the plane belongs to?
            I suppose if you get close enough to see one, the answer is "an allied AF"
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Looking at some pictures from the RIAT. A few F-35s got me to wondring

An Italian F-35 will have a cappuccino machine in the cockpit, a British one a pot of tea and bickies, a French one a bottle of champagne and a glass, the Canadian one a hockey stick, and the Australian one your girlfriend etc etc etc
              Last edited by Monash; 19 Jul 23,, 03:07.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

An Italian F-35 will have a cappuccino machine int eh cock pit, a British one a pot of tea and bickies, a French one a bottle of champagne and a glass, and Australian one your girlfriend etc etc etc
                I thought an Australian one would be their mate. Yet I have never been to OZ so I might be misinformed. Maybe I heard koala like R2D2...

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

I thought an Australian one would be their mate. Yet I have never been to OZ so I might be misinformed. Maybe I heard koala like R2D2...
                  True we are loyal. But now I actually like your idea better!

Imagine having going into battle with a koala in your number two seat as the EW operator. The enemy couldn't shoot you down even if they got a lock because you would simply be too 'cute' to kill.

If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

Australian one your girlfriend
                    All aircraft should have a picture of Kim Yo-jong. The Ivanka Trump of North Korea (According to the Sidney Morning Herald)

To inspire you to Victory (and remind you of the price of failure)

Attached Files

Comment

All aircraft should have a picture of Kim Yo-jong. The Ivanka Trump of North Korea (According to the Sidney Morning Herald)

To inspire you to Victory (and remind you of the price of failure)

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                      X