This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask An Expert- LAND Forces.

I've seen many tanks, including Leo2s fire, then have their turret stare blankly into the sky for a few seconds then come back down.

I understand this is the limitation of the loading mechanism, correct?

Does the M1 Abrams have this limitation?

How big of a problem is this?

Also, I understand the Abrams is a fast beast, but how fast is it (max speed and acceleration), is it compared to our ally's tanks?

Thanks.

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
    Does the M1 Abrams have this limitation?
    The Abrams does not elevate as you describe after firing - the gun tube stays on target during reloading until it receives the next input from the gunner.

I'm not familiar with how other (non-U.S.) tanks cycle after firing, but I assume that's an automatic part of the cycle that elevates the gun tube slightly to position it to help load the next round. I'm guessing it's designed to place the breach at the optimum angle to reload.

I doubt crews would consider this a limitation, and some would probably say it helps with reloading. I personally feel very comfortable with the idea that my Abrams is keeping the gun laid on target and not moving around at all while reloading / tracking the next target. Our loaders don't have any issues with reloading in that position.

Also, I understand the Abrams is a fast beast, but how fast is it (max speed and acceleration), is it compared to our ally's tanks?
    Most M1s will do 40-45 mph on level ground, but you do see some variation from one tank to the next. You'll always hear guys make claims about going 60 mph (or more) in a tank, but it's equipped with a governor to keep it from going too fast. It's capable of going faster, but for the safety of both the tank and crew, it's limited to the 40-45 mph range.

One neat fact about the M1 is that it has two gears in reverse - it's strange at first to be backing up and feel it shift gears. Not many vehicles have that feature (I'd be interested to know if other tanks do). This allows us to back up and displace from one position to another very quickly.

Dave

Comment

The Merkava 4 has a neat little gizmo called "Index". When the loader presses the Index button, the cannon will revert to a straight and level position to facilitate the loading of the next round. In the meantime, the gunner's primary sight is still tracking the target. Left/right is not a problem, but up/down the sight moves while the cannon stays level. As soon as the next round is loaded and the index button is off, the cannon returns to being slaved to the GPS and is right back on target, thus allowing the best of both worlds, staying on target and making it easier on the loader
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Ask An Expert- LAND Forces.

This is a thread for non-military or non-defense professional members to ask specific questions of the experts who will then reply if the question is in their specialty. Non-MP/DP members may not answer, I will delete them.

Opsec is in effect- don't ask for classified information or trade secrets.

Follow on questions may not be rebuttals of the answer provided, but you may ask for clarification.

question format (sample)

Field- Fighters/bombers

Question- Does the camo on tactical aircraft actually work? Does the grey underside/camo top make a noticeable difference in how far away you can put eyes on the target?

Comment

Originally posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
          The Abrams does not elevate as you describe after firing - the gun tube stays on target during reloading until it receives the next input from the gunner.
          This is untrue, after recieving the next load command, or if simply choosing sabot/HEAT as the next round absent a command the loader will hit the EL-uncouple switch and the gun goes to zero elevation in relation to the turret floor. If the gun stayed on target it could not be reloaded as the breach would be traveling up and down as the gunner tracked a target and the stablization kept the gun on target.

This in turn creates a danger zone around the barrel of the Abrams when it is at rest since if the turret is powered and someone exiting the loaders hatch hits the switch the gun slams down to about shoulder height on the average man. This would be leathal to anyone standing under it.

Comment

Field - tank on tank warfare

Question - (I am embarrassed to ask but I don't know jack about tanks) - Looking at a MBT, there are obvious areas well protected by the most advanced armor imaginable. But the layman like myself looks at the tracks and wheels, and these same painfully vulnerable below any skirting. It would appear that a hit by any enemy main gun, or even 25mm or 30mm cannon fire, would shred these and create an instant mobility kill. Once immobilized, it is not much of a threat and can be dealt with later.

Are these wheels and tracks vulnerable in this way? If so, is it possible to actually aim at them?

Comment

First of all, it's kinda hard to properly aim at the tracks system, since they're a much smaller target than the hull/turret. Second of all, a mobility kill will stop the tank from moving, but will most definitely not immobilize the tank. In essence, the only thing you've done is create a static pillbox in the middle of the battlefield, a pillbox that can still shoot quite accurately. You now need to expend another shot to kill the immobile tank.

In essence, you're using 2 rounds to kill a tank when one round will do just fine, thank you very much
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

not an expert- zraver
                Last edited by zraver; 06 Mar 11,, 05:56.
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Chogy Reply

Immobilizing an MBT is a viable option for hand-held anti-tank rockets fired in salvos from ranges close enough to reasonably aim the weapon at discrete targets like tracks and rolling wheels. Doing so place those firing these weapons at severe risk and doesn't necessarily assure the vehicle will be completely immobilized.

There are immediate and down-the-road benefits to immobilization, however. While now a pillbox, it IS static and can block the movement of vehicles behind it. It's also more vulnerable to killing shots from heavy ATGMs until recovered. As such, it needs and would benefit by detailing security for the vehicle. Those are therefore troops, like casualties, that can't contribute to the overall mission.

Finally, the vehicle is not proceeding with the mission towards its ultimate objective location nor providing supporting direct fires for others whom are doing so.

This is most applicable in either urban, built-up or otherwise channelized/constrained battlefields.
                  Last edited by S2; 05 Mar 11,, 18:29.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The heck with sneak up with a handheld AT rocket. My coffee will be cold and the doughnuts stale.

Plt 1rd, shell RAAMs...........

Comment

I'd hate to have to inconvenience you, GG!

Comment

Damn idiots just ruin my perfectly laid minefield.

Comment

I'd hate to inconvenience you too, Ooe. Is there anyone else that would like to speak up now, so as not to bother anybody else?

Comment

How easy/hard is to knock off a tank's thermal sight? Can a 50(or is it .50?) caliber sniper shot do it? Artillery shell splinters?

Is it worthwhile to knock of the thermals?

Comment

n21 Reply

"Is it worthwhile to knock of the thermals?"

Sure...if you don't get killed in the process.

Russian anti-tank riflemen used the PTRD/PTRS to dent gunbarrels, snipe main gun telescopes and tank commanders.
                              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                              X