Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's what the plastic bags are for... Those can be tossed out of a moving tank out of the commanders cupola.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Now that's one RV I wouldn't mind having... It ain't the "party bus" but it sure is zombie proof.
      if everyone else is masked up... being that close to some one elses poo smell in a confined space....

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        When you're inside the tank and can't leave, I don't know how useful a shovel is gonna be. A plastic bag keeps everything in one place and can then be tied up and tossed out somewhere
        Obviously not enough Infantry around to make the tankers feel secure!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• There were many problems with Lebanon 2006, and yes, one of the main ones was the lack of coordination and cooperation between the different branches. Perhaps the only forces that worked well in tandem were the armor and artillery and to a lesser extent the infantry and the artillery.

The armor and infantry did work out many of the kinks relatively quickly (although probably not all of it strictly by the book), but that meant that the clusterfucks that remained were royal clusterfucks, such as the 9th/401st armored's advance through the Wadi Saluki to reach the Litani. They were told that Nahal infantry had cleared the sides and top of the Wadi, but somehow the Nahal never got the message, or they got it too late for it to make a difference. The 9th Battalion were in a killing zone and didn't shoot either because they believed there were friendly forces up on top of the Wadi, or the forces actually were there, having started the cleaning up operations when the armor had already arrived instead of the area having been sanitized beforehand.

They couldn't use artillery because of the presence of friendly forces, so they kept pressing on trying to break through, and did make it to the top, but lost 12 men and 11 tanks were hit. Shortly after that, they withdrew because of the cease-fire agreement. It was one of the worst days in the armored corps' recent history, but they still showed just exactly what it is the armored corps could do in a time when everyone claimed armor was useless. Despite taking heavy losses, they still made it to the top of the Wadi and completed their mission, despite all the fuckups and problems and casualties. I lost a couple good friends that day, guys I had been through basic and advanced training with.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Wasn't a swipe at any specific unit, Ben.

Just a little friendly nudge between branches of service...a long standing tradition at Fiddler's Green.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Oh, I understand that, and I'm agreeing with you, although it was said in jest. There really was a lack of cooperation between the two forces, and it showed

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                Jeez, what happened to putting a plastic bag inside your helmet and getting on with business?
                So thats why you tankers have that funny smell. Crapping in your helmet.

And all this time, I thought it was because Tracktards were full of Shit. :whome:
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 25 Oct 11,, 05:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  And all this time, I thought it was because Tracktards were full of Shit. :whome:
                  No, just their HELMETS!
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Hmm and usually when we clamber out of our ironclads to look for a handy spot to dump , we find freshly dug ones , nearly always occupied by a trogg , but it never stopped us as they were always asleep :whome:

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                      No, just their HELMETS!
                      Your getting us mixed up with Brit cops and pregnant ladies ;)

Comment

• That's an issue tanks with autoloaders typically have. Not all, but most (let me specify before some genius will point out that there are some that don't have this issue).

An autoloaders three issues:

1. They often put ammo in the crew compartment or in a carosel which when hit goes "boom" and becomes unfunny for the crew.

2. They are slower than manual loading. A good loader on an M1 will flip a round in 3 seconds from "on the way" to "up." A T-72 takes ~7 seconds. If we are beating each others heads in, I can send twice the rounds down range in a given time period.

3. The three man crew even with an autoloader is inadequate, IMHO. That fourth guy is needed because you burn the crew out over a long time span of combat operations, when you break track, situational awareness, driving shooting, gunning and talking all at the same time, etc. I don't think you can do it right even if you have a machine plugging a round into the breach. If I lose one guy we're degraded but I can still fight on. With a three man crew if you lose a guy??? Some ammo requires manual adjustment of the fuse (that is if you're using some of the cool stuff out there), MPAT for example... Point is that there are many time were you want a fourth guy even if you have an autoloader.

4. While generally reliable (nowadays) when an autoloader fails (depending on which one we're taling about - lot's of different designs) you now have a serious issue in many casses.

Comment

• Well,

I hope you guys do well because in all reality you're the tip of the spear in this far greater issue that amounts to an idiological struggle between the free Western liberal and industrialized world, and that of the Islamic organized one. Truth is, the West at large does not "want" to see the greater issue and it feels good to live in ignorant bliss until a London bus goes boom, or planes fly into sky scrapers, or or or... What has happened over the last 30 years is that a threat you guys have been dealing with since your inception has now been exported to the reast of the West via changing demographics, trade and communications. The merits of the awesome "multicultural society."

I've been to Tel Aviv, Haifa, Beresheba (spelling, I know is off) and I loved Elat! I would love to go back to Elat! Sinai/MFO.

I watched the "Nutty Professor" (mid 1990s) in the Elat mall, the movie theater was a bunker in the bottom of the mall. Cool! Fallaffels were great too and unlike Egypt you won't get food poisening by eating local food in Israel! lol

Crossing the border it was always like going back into the stone age.

Comment

HAH HAH!! The funny smell is the crunchies we keep running over..BTW, I never crapped in my helmet though Pringles cans are a good start :D

Comment

• Alright I have a few questions about ground warfare . Recently I got into a debate with someone over whether or not the US should support Israel in the event of a conflict in the Middle East. This debate kind of spun out of control and well it ended up with things that needed to be clarified.
                              1) Did the US armed forces shrink after the Cold War- I said it did, the person I debated said it actually grew after the Cold War and I disagreed.
                              2) Are all members of the armed services qualified to go into combat? I said they weren't and my buddy said they were -___-
                              3) Is a deployment of thousands of troops considered a "minor deployment" (this is in regards to the planned US troop deployment to Israel) - I said it wasn't , please correct me if I'm wrong.
                              4) Is the US military stretched thin at the moment?
                              Thanks for taking the time to look these questions over.
                              4)

Comment

• I don't know how it works in the US, in Israel every single soldier is trained on an M-16. Some of them, like the desk jockeys, will shoot twice during the day, twice at night, make sure they haven't died and that's it. The combat units eat, live and sleep with their rifles (M-16/M-4 or IMI Tavor), and after being out of the army for 4 years I can still take an M-16 or an M-4 apart and put it back together blindfolded.

Comment

Working...
                                X