This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you mean in the launch?

When these missile launch they are thrown clear of the launch tube by compressed are or an explosive charge...the inflight motor does not kick in until they are well clear of the tube. There may be some scorched paint but it doesn not detroy the transporter/erector/launcher AKA the TEL.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Do you mean in the launch?

When these missile launch they are thrown clear of the launch tube by compressed are or an explosive charge...the inflight motor does not kick in until they are well clear of the tube. There may be some scorched paint but it doesn not detroy the transporter/erector/launcher AKA the TEL.
      Thanks, because in one vid i saw some time ago it sure looked like the entire TEL gets caught by the fire burst.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Not saying it never happened but...

usually for launch they drop armored shutters over the windows, stow all loose gear and lockdown the suspension system to give it a stable platform.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• The more important question is whether - and how - that thing can drive backwards to clear the firing position, or whether they just drive over that giant cap of the launch tube that's ejected forward of the vehicle before erecting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
            The more important question is whether - and how - that thing can drive backwards to clear the firing position, or whether they just drive over that giant cap of the launch tube that's ejected forward of the vehicle before erecting it.
            kato, always the German technokrat!!!
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
              The more important question is whether - and how - that thing can drive backwards to clear the firing position, or whether they just drive over that giant cap of the launch tube that's ejected forward of the vehicle before erecting it.
              Why would it drive backwards in the first place? These were advanced systems

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• "...Why would it drive backwards in the first place?"

Maybe it's French?
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Steve,

On VE Day!

Sacre Bleu!!!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                    "...Why would it drive backwards in the first place?"

Maybe it's French?
                    But it would still be forward. In French.

Comment

• Hello all not sure if this is the right thread but it is a question about army requisitions, I am writing a novel involving a main character in the army as I want to add some details to my story to keep some of the more a*al fans from chewing me out.

Ok some details before the questions, my main character is an officer in the combined army/ air force (just how the story goes), he recently acquired a H&K USP Elite 45 calibre variant, he has by standard issue a vanilla P220, his commanding officer has given him permission to carry both, the 45acp being a more powerful round (I think) would naturally be his right hand weapon, with his P220 being used left handed, now for my questions:

1. Is there a left handed version of the P220, if so would he need a requisition form to change his right handed version into a left handed one, if so do you know the name of the form. (I just want to make it accurate rather than make something up like the ID ten T form).
                      2. Would he need a form to get special ammo like hollow point rounds for this gun (again if you know the forms number would be greatly appreciated)
                      3. A bit random, but the cost in $ to buy a single bullet of both standard and hollow point (I'm British so don't have a clue.)

If forms aren't needed then let me know that too, the scene is kind of minor, but some of the details (like him having the two guns) is important.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• 1. No left-hand version for P220.
                        2. Hollow bullets should be off limits in all militaries by convention. For some time LEOs (MPs included) are allowed to use this ammo mainly for safety reasons as there is no ricochet.
                        3. Don't know about USA, but over here they are not allowed. On the black market they are 3-5x more expensive then the regular ammo from the same caliber.

Comment

• Originally posted by frag2k4 View Post
                          Hello all not sure if this is the right thread but it is a question about army requisitions, I am writing a novel involving a main character in the army as I want to add some details to my story to keep some of the more a*al fans from chewing me out.
                          Your next paragraph would make every professional soldier winced.

Originally posted by frag2k4 View Post
                          Ok some details before the questions, my main character is an officer in the combined army/ air force (just how the story goes), he recently acquired a H&K USP Elite 45 calibre variant, he has by standard issue a vanilla P220, his commanding officer has given him permission to carry both, the 45acp being a more powerful round (I think) would naturally be his right hand weapon, with his P220 being used left handed, now for my questions:
                          1) No one is allow to replace a standard issue with his own personal firearm.

2) Where are you going to get a replacement firing pin.

3) The regs say you have to qualify on your issue. The regs don't care how good you are with your personal firearm.

4) You're carrying two different types of ammo that cannot be interchanged.

5) Carrying something else other than your issue says you are very "special" to the enemy and attracts their attention.

Comment

• Thank you Doktor and Officer of engineers for the reply, well since they don't exist I can go artistic licence on it as entertainment in a story and rule of cool are the main stay from my story (if real life and rule of cool are the same even better ;)) I must say I am surprised that a left handed version of the P220 wasn't made, I did check the wiki first as several other handguns state they do, so checking was required here as for there being no regs, well I can make them up now and torture my main character with 'triplicate paperwork' as is the usual when his reports are due. thanks again and I hope you can answer any other questions if I have them.

Comment

• My Question :
                              How difficult is it to target countervalue targets i.e a city with MIRVs Of the Same missile , or will this undoubtly cause a Fratricide?

Comment

• I think it was the main purpose for inventing them in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X