Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest operational commanders of the last 200 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What air defence assets does a striker brigade has ?
    I cannot tell from the orbat.
    J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      If I may,I'll get rid of the link between echelons and the levels of war and stick only to mission.If a SF platoon can achieve an operational or strategic objective,why call their action a small unit action?
      I agree that there isn't a hard/fast link, but achieving a single objective is not enough. Who is achieving the objectives for the major operation/campaign? That commander is the operational commander that's synchronizing the tactical actions that add up to achieving the objectives of the major operation/campaign.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
        What air defence assets does a striker brigade has ?
        I cannot tell from the orbat.
        None organic.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
          None organic.
          SAFADs, Baby! SAFADs!
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

IMO, Adm Wm Halsey Jr. belongs on that list without question. And although probably not the greatest he is definately still one of the greatest of WWII.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              SAFADs, Baby! SAFADs!
              I'm counting football fields right now . . .

Comment

I'm counting football fields right now . . .
                Is that Canadian football or American football....
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  IMO, Adm Wm Halsey Jr. belongs on that list without question. And although probably not the greatest he is definately still one of the greatest of WWII.
                  I stuck to ground commanders as they are the most common operational commanders.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Is that Canadian football or American football....
                    Dammit! 7-8 didn't specify

Last edited by Shek; 05 Jan 11,, 21:07.

Comment

Z,
                      By doctrine and practice, brigades and divisions in the US Army undertake tactical missions in support of major operations and campaigns that define the operational level of war. By exception and through augmentation, a division can become a JTF capable of C2ing at the operational level of war.
                      Shek, would you consider investing a city to prevent a last stand an operation or tactical battle?

Comment

Dammit! 7-8 didn't specify

Well, since the graphic is labelled C-1 I'd say its Canadian!
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                          Shek, would you consider investing a city to prevent a last stand an operation or tactical battle?
                          I need more context. What's the size, population, array of forces, larger picutre, etc.?

Comment

So, in order to hit a football field, you must aim for the center of mass.
                            Thanks, is so much clearer now... :)
                            J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                              So, in order to hit a football field, you must aim for the center of mass.
                              Thanks, is so much clearer now... :)
                              Not if it's really long. Then you need to aim at an endzone.

Comment

I need more context. What's the size, population, array of forces, larger picutre, etc.?
                                Population arounda 1/4 of a million, regime's home town, possible base for a large post-war insurgency and possibly garrisoned by thousands of regular and irregular troops with an unknown amount of armor support.

Comment

Working...
                                X