Turkey revolts, it will produce nuclear fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
    The physics is the same, but the engineering is completely different, and non-trivial. Except for the Hiroshima design, that's pretty simple, but also extremely inefficient and limited (and, IIRC, it only works with uranium). It's very, very hard to keep a chunk of plutonium from blowing itself apart before it actually releases much energy.

That said, I have little doubt Turkey has scientists fully competent to design a basic implosion fission device.
    You are correct, a gun type assembly won't work with Pu, that requires an implosion assembly to work. They made some casings during the Manhattan Project for gun assembly Pu weapons - they were very long high velocity guns, but still later calculations showed it would work even then. It is quite possible that Turkey could build an implosion fission device (or a U235 gun device), but the sources denizkuvetleri cited don't demonstrate this IMO, they would need to use different skill sets than the ones mentioned. Also getting a warhead on one of those truck mounted missiles would be a big step from building a working device.
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 09 Jan 11,, 12:13.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
      I like Turkey, and hope it remains peaceful, I have great respect for your country and its history. I personally hope Turkey makes the right choice about nuclear weapons, which in my opinion is to spend the money elsewhere. Nuclear power reactors would make sense, nuclear weapons wouldn't. I especially admire the Turkish battlecruiser Yavez, and was happy it remained in service there so long. Too bad it didn't get to be a museum ship.
      Unfortunately, if Iran acquires a nuclear arsenal of it's own it is almost with certainty that I can say Turkey will also follow suit. Turkey would always like to have the upper hand in the region.

With respect to the TCG Yavuz I must say that I too admire the efforts of this vessel greatly. Some state that it had changed the path of WWI.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post

Not sure which part of my post you were referring to. If the first, if tac nukes are beign used, the concern for civillians is gone. Even if the nulear powers are avoiding major cities in order to avoid the exchange of strategic weapons. small towns and transportation choke points are still on the target list. Plus once the fear of a nuclear exchange is public- refugees are going to flood out of the cities and towns.

Even without nukes, modern PGM's can cripple an enmeies ability to move enmasse. Look at the results of NATO strikes on the Serbian Danube bridges. Small streams and rivers can be easily bridged or forded, even large rivers can have pontoon bridges thrown up across them. However this takes time and if the enemy has already demonstrated the ability to penetrate and hit bridges, bombs drop faster than bridges can be built. Plus each delay stacks up units and wrecks timetables.

if your talking about the second part of my post, using a tac nuke per tank company is wasteful. Tanks with NBC protection can be extremily close to ground zero and remain in the fight. This is doubly true for tanks that are hull down. There will be some damage and loss of efficency but nukes vs combat arms are not wonder weapons.

In a frontline tactical role, nukes are most effeictve if only one side has them. Then the side with nukes can use mass, while the side without them has to spreadout. Once both sides have neither side can mass after the first nuke pops.
        I was not not sure what your first argument was about, I have assumed that you meant using tac nukes on home soil. Did i misunderstood ?
        J'ai en marre.

Comment

background

Pakistan's offer for cooperation.

Pakistan can offer what ever they want , they did not sign the NPT, Turkey did and it is their obligation to say no.

Greek Prime Minister Papandreou charged that "Pakistan expected Turkey to act as a transshipper of material for a nuclear bomb and would reciprocate by proudly sharing the nuclear bomb technology with Turkey

In 1995, a Greek foreign ministry official, Thanos Dokos repeated concerns about "nuclear cooperation between Ankara and Islamabad... and reports that Turkey might try to acquire nuclear weapons material and technology and recruit nuclear scientists from the Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union.

I'll take whatever Greek politicians are saying with a pinch of salt, they are not exactly the most objective source on the matter.

General Oznal described the nuclear threats around Turkey's borders, such as Israel and Iran, which have their own nuclear programs. General Oznal repeatedly emphasized the nuclear threat from Israel, India, Pakistan and Iran, and said: "TURKEY MUST NOW DEVELOP ITS OWN NUCLEAR POLICY". It is clear that Oznal was referring to the development of a nuclear weapons program.

It is ?

Candu reactors

The CANada Deuterium Uranium reactor use natural uranium as its fuel. It does not require extensive enrichment. while any reactor is susceptible to diversion of nuclear fuel or spent fuel to weapons, Candu from the nuclear proliferation POV does not posed a increased security risk.
          Still canadians are concern about the issues and they are right to be.

http://www.balkanalysis.com/

That is a blog and their point of view does not reflect Turkey official position.
          About us:
          Online since 2003, but expanded and relaunched in June 2010, Balkanalysis.com is an American-run company that draws on the expertise and skills of a dynamic team of writers, editors, researchers and other field personnel. Our work is divided by country or sector
          Gregory R. Copley, Editor, Global Information System

Very senior sources in Israel, Russia, and the U.S. have privately expressed concern that Turkey is proceeding with its nuclear weapons program, and that Turkey has obtained a significant knowledge of nuclear weapons technology, protocols, and operational doctrine from its association with NATO and Israel. Moreover, officials in Israel, Russia, and the U.S. are fully aware that neither the Turkish Government nor the Turkish military pays any attention to confidentiality clauses, end user certificates, or use strictures on weapons, intelligence, or defense systems made available to Turkey by its allies.

that is journalist and by his writing stile , a crapy one.

"Very important sources have told us in private" ....Which sources ?

ENRICHMENT

Turkey has the right to enrich uranium according to article 4 of the NPT.

I do also believe that the development of the J-600T missile by Turkey is in violation of several international treaty and control regimes.

SUCH AS ?
          Last edited by 1979; 10 Jan 11,, 15:42.
          J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by denizkuvetleri View Post
            Unfortunately, if Iran acquires a nuclear arsenal of it's own it is almost with certainty that I can say Turkey will also follow suit. Turkey would always like to have the upper hand in the region.

With respect to the TCG Yavuz I must say that I too admire the efforts of this vessel greatly. Some state that it had changed the path of WWI.
            Son,

I really don't care if you believe this or not but Turkey has decided she does not need nukes as long as she has the American nuclear umbrella.

China, not Turkey, gave Pakistan her nukes.

You're dreaming if China allows Pakistan to share her nukes after AQ Khan.

Turkey does not have fissible materials that can be turned into weapons. All her nuclear materials are under watch by the IAEA and no, not even Iranian materials have been diverted. Those are still under watch by the IAEA. It is only after the Iranians completed their enrichment processes that the fear of diversion comes in. Iran is currently building the factories to build the bombs and until those are finished, not one ounce of fissible material has been unaccounted for.

If you think you can produce a Pu bomb without testing, ask the North Koreans.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Son,

I really don't care if you believe this or not but Turkey has decided she does not need nukes as long as she has the American nuclear umbrella.

China, not Turkey, gave Pakistan her nukes.
              You're dreaming if China allows Pakistan to share her nukes after AQ Khan.

Turkey does not have fissible materials that can be turned into weapons. All her nuclear materials are under watch by the IAEA and no, not even Iranian materials have been diverted. Those are still under watch by the IAEA. It is only after the Iranians completed their enrichment processes that the fear of diversion comes in. Iran is currently building the factories to build the bombs and until those are finished, not one ounce of fissible material has been unaccounted for.

If you think you can produce a Pu bomb without testing, ask the North Koreans.
              China also gave Turkey balistic missiles technology capable of carrying nuclear warheads; The B-611 SRBM

I am not the one saying this:

Former United States CIA Operations Officer Valerie Elise Plame Wilson repeatedly states this.
              Sacked FBI agent Sibel Edmunds also repeatedly states this.

Add to this the fact that there have been many public incidents of Turkish Police intercepting weapons grade fissile material in Turkey.

I am not saying Turkey is a super power which has a nuclear arsenal and is going to blow the world apart.

All I am saying is I am suspicious. The information I posted also heightens my suspicion.
              Last edited by denizkuvetleri; 13 Jan 11,, 05:22.

Comment

China also gave Turkey balistic missiles technology capable of carrying nuclear warheads; The B-611 SRBM

I am not the one saying this:

Former United States CIA Operations Officer Valerie Elise Plame Wilson repeatedly states this.
                Sacked FBI agent Sibel Edmunds also repeatedly states this.
                Pray tell, what exactly has the B-611 violated? The MTCR threshold is 500kg and 300kms. The B-611 is listed at 480 kgs and 280 kms. What the Turks do own their own to increase payload and range is 100% legal.

Add to this the fact that there have been many public incidents of Turkish Police intercepting weapons grade fissile material in Turkey.

I am not saying Turkey is a super power which has a nuclear arsenal and is going to blow the world apart.

All I am saying is I am suspicious. The information I posted also heightens my suspicion.
                Fine. Show me where this material came from and it is at least 60kgs of it.

Comment

Working...
                X