This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindle Vs. Ipad?

A question for those who are into electronics even though it maybe comparing apples to oranges, but which is more practical and allows you to do more the Kindle or Ipad?

I ask because I was thinking about buying one or the other this Christmas since most of my gifts will be ether gift cards to Best Buy or Amazon.

Blasphemy.. To ask..

Ipad.

Comment

I prefer Ipad because I can do more things with it. The downsize is that I cannot easily hold it in one hand and cannot keep holding it up in the air for more than a couple minutes without getting my arms tired or fatigued. The thing is to figure out what you plan to do with it. If you plan to surf the internet, play games, jot down notes in addition to reading books, then Ipad is the one for you. but if you just want to read books only, then Kindle is for you.

Get the 32GB ipad with 3G. It is worth it. If you don't mind splurging $100 more, go for 64GB Ipad with 3G. I have 64GB with no 3G since at the time I thought I didn't need it since I can use the wifi and now I find myself in situations where I wish I had 3G just to have an internet connection.because there are places that you cannot access wifi or wifi is secured and you got no security code.

Comment

What do you want to do with it? If you want to read, and books primarily, then Kindle. If you want more flexibility/wider range of use, then iPad.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Wait for an Android tablet.

Android is way ahead of the curve and overall a much superior, open product (the proud owner of a MyTouch 4G).

Apple is closed and proprietary. Jobs squeezes as much money as he possibly can. His innovative product (an MP3 player adapted to a personal smartphone and tablet device) has been replicated through other means by a consortium of hundreds of tech companies teamed up with Google.

If you buy an iPad, you're going to be a first adopter and be stuck with a product that is obsolete at the instant Android delivers a more superior, more open tablet.

Just keep in mind, Apple product technology is ultimately sourced from one company (Apple). Android is to Apple as the IBM platform/Windows was to the Apple II in the 80s -- they'll destroy Apple. They already are in the personal smartphone market. RIM is flaming down and Apple has lost its dominance of the market. Apple is just tinkering with one thing, making it with phone service, making it bigger, but they're squeezing blood from a turnip in terms of innovation in the longer-term.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Yep, I'm waiting on the launch of a bunch of android tablets. No Jobsian fondle slab for me.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Wait for an Android tablet.

Android is way ahead of the curve and overall a much superior, open product (the proud owner of a MyTouch 4G).

Apple is closed and proprietary. Jobs squeezes as much money as he possibly can. His innovative product (an MP3 player adapted to a personal smartphone and tablet device) has been replicated through other means by a consortium of hundreds of tech companies teamed up with Google.

If you buy an iPad, you're going to be a first adopter and be stuck with a product that is obsolete at the instant Android delivers a more superior, more open tablet.

Just keep in mind, Apple product technology is ultimately sourced from one company (Apple). Android is to Apple as the IBM platform/Windows was to the Apple II in the 80s -- they'll destroy Apple. They already are in the personal smartphone market. RIM is flaming down and Apple has lost its dominance of the market. Apple is just tinkering with one thing, making it with phone service, making it bigger, but they're squeezing blood from a turnip in terms of innovation in the longer-term.
              That is what everybody says about the iPhone and yet I have to see Android dominating the market even thought it has been out for almost two years. IPhone sales still reign supreme. Tablets have been around for years and yet iPad have quickly jumped to the top slot within very short order and no Android tablet have managed to do that since being introduced. So your claims about Apple losing its market remains conjective and hopeful wishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                That is what everybody says about the iPhone and yet I have to see Android dominating the market even thought it has been out for almost two years. IPhone sales still reign supreme. Tablets have been around for years and yet iPad have quickly jumped to the top slot within very short order and no Android tablet have managed to do that since being introduced. So your claims about Apple losing its market remains conjective and hopeful wishing.
                Tablets failed earlier because they didn't have the hardware power and battery life at the size/weight levels needed. Now they do, it is a matter of time until open tables rise on the gadget market, IMO.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Well I made the big choice,

I decided to get an Ipad 32Gb, and it works wonderfully thus far. In addition, there is so much you can do with it. I can of regret not getting 3G, but I found the price a little too much and the idea of internet anywhere even when don't need it a little too excessive, especially considering many if not most major study areas at school and public places in general are wireless.
                  Last edited by Kevin Brown; 30 Dec 10,, 10:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    That is what everybody says about the iPhone and yet I have to see Android dominating the market even thought it has been out for almost two years.
                    Android is to iPhone as the IBM standard was to the Apple II.

Beautiful creative destruction.

Aug 2010: Android Sales Overtake iPhone in the U.S.: Tech News and Analysis «
                    Oct 2010: Android Smartphones Outsell iPhone in First Half of 2010
                    Dec 2010: Google’s Android outselling the iPhone on a daily basis - TECH.BLORGE.com
                    • Android: backed by 500+ tech companies
                    • iPhone: backed by 1 company

• IBM = Apple Killer (Apple now 5% of US computer market, 2% of world computer market)
                    • Android = iPhone killer (overtaken iPhone past 4Qs)

Furthermore:
                    • Android Tablet = iPad killer
                    • Android MP3? = iPod killer

• iPhone: Closed
                    • Android: Open

• iPhone: $120 battery replacement
                    • Android: $25 swap it out yourself

• iPhone: moisture sensor in speaker
                    • Android: moisture sensor behind battery in case

• iPhone: was natural monopoly in personal smartphones
                    • Android: destroys that natural monopoly

• iPhone: Apple sucks every cent up from consumers/carriers
                    • Android: sells at minimal profit margins

• iPhone: 56% apps cost money
                    • Android: 27% apps cost money

• iPhone: no refund policy apps
                    • Android: 24-hour refund policy

• iPhone: 300,000+ "apps" (bottom 299,000 on less than 1% of iPhones [useless apps])
                    • Android: 120,000+ apps (vast majority of the best in Market, most of the rest in development)

• iPhone: restricted carriers
                    • Android: any carrier

• iPhone: strict warranty, easy to void
                    • Android: lenient warranty

• iPhone: iPod with phone
                    • iPod: iPhone without phone
                    • iPad: oversized iPod
                    • Android: almost unlimited options for phones and platforms

Comment

The only thing hurting the iphone is that Apple went with arguably the worst carrier, AT&t. If Apple would let other carriers, ie Sprint,Verizon, Android would be a distant #2 at best.
                      What most have learned from Microsoft OS is that more applications via 3rd party is not always a good thing. Too many conflicts and the system crashes. I'd much rather have something I can use 99% of the time to do what I want to do instead of trying to figure out what I have to do to be able to use a certain app with out crashing the system.

Apple has a great track record of putting out great, easy to use devices ahead of the competition and people obviously like what Apple sells because the vast majority keep coming back for more. So keep calling for Apple's demise, They will laugh all the way to the bank. Thank God for Apple. With out that company leading the way we would still be in the dark ages of DOS.
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Sounds like you want the walled garden. Apple is the walled garden. IBM is the dominant started (98% of computers worldwide, 95% in US) and despite shortcomings, conflicts, and crashes with Windows, has fully matured with Windows XP/7. Android has had a much shorter learning curve, and is on the verge of becoming the mature standard.

I believe a good analogy for Apple is the "nanny state" and for Android, the free market where consumers rise or fail depending on their ability and willingness.

I also believe Apple's handheld "i" series will go the way of the Apple II, unless they open up. They can't compete on Android's terms, just as they couldn't with IBM. Apple has 90% adopted the IBM standard in their computers, and has a mere 5% of the US market today.

That took them 20 years. Let's see what they decide to do next with their "i" series. Their decision will either a) fold or b) fold relatively less.

Jobs is fresh out of ideas on a) computers, b) laptops, and c) the "i" series. He will have to come up with something completely innvoative and revolutionary we don't know about yet, and open up more to the emerging cell phone/tablet standard to keep market share.

As Kramer would say: "SELL, SELL, SELL".

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                          Tablets failed earlier because they didn't have the hardware power and battery life at the size/weight levels needed. Now they do, it is a matter of time until open tables rise on the gadget market, IMO.
                          I would say tablets failed because of a lack of an operating system with intuitive user interface. Microsoft couldn't think outside the Windows box so all its phone and tablet OS look like Windows. Windows work best with a mouse. Phones and tablets don't have a mouse.

Apple came out with the iOS with a very intuitive operating system for a small device. It dominated the market. Hardware wise, Apple is not anywhere close to being cutting edge.

The interesting next step is Windows Phone 7. It adopted iOS user interface, is more open than iOS, but not as open (more standards) than the Android. We will see in a few years how this plan works out for MS.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

FJV raises eyebrow

"I believe a good analogy for Apple is the "nanny state" and for Android, the free market where consumers rise or fail depending on their ability and willingness."

In my opinion that statement is weird.

Apple and Android use different business methods. These represent choices of how these businesses want to operate in the market. Depending on what an individual consumer wants they can make the choice they want.

If a lot of people choose Apple then that is the market at work not an inherent flaw these people have.

Maybe I don't "get" it and someone will make a good argument explaining why the free market makes it impossible for such different types of business methods to exist.

PS

As for the technology, I'ld like to have the e-paper technology (as used in the kindle) developed much further for instance much larger displays and color.

One reason is that at the moment a lot of daylight is blocked out of offices, because sunlight makes it harder to read monitors. And I somehow have this weird idea that working in a sunlit office will be much nicer.

Another e-paper technology developement that would interest me would be to use it on shoes and textiles. IF *1) they manage to pull that off at an affordable price.

By buying one shoe or shirt you would have acces to every color and/or design of that garment. You could open an "I-clothes" store on the internet selling downloadable T-shirt designs. (or camo patterns for the army)

*1) A big if, because it would have to be:
                            - Affordable
                            - Stand up to wheather
                            - Stand up to a washing machine
                            - Be non toxic and non polluting, easily recycled.
                            etc, etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                              Sounds like you want the walled garden. Apple is the walled garden. IBM is the dominant started (98% of computers worldwide, 95% in US) and despite shortcomings, conflicts, and crashes with Windows, has fully matured with Windows XP/7. Android has had a much shorter learning curve, and is on the verge of becoming the mature standard.

I believe a good analogy for Apple is the "nanny state" and for Android, the free market where consumers rise or fail depending on their ability and willingness.

I also believe Apple's handheld "i" series will go the way of the Apple II, unless they open up. They can't compete on Android's terms, just as they couldn't with IBM. Apple has 90% adopted the IBM standard in their computers, and has a mere 5% of the US market today.

That took them 20 years. Let's see what they decide to do next with their "i" series. Their decision will either a) fold or b) fold relatively less.

Jobs is fresh out of ideas on a) computers, b) laptops, and c) the "i" series. He will have to come up with something completely innvoative and revolutionary we don't know about yet, and open up more to the emerging cell phone/tablet standard to keep market share.

As Kramer would say: "SELL, SELL, SELL".
                              News Headlines

Kramer is an idiot.
                              Again. The "experts" have ben plotting Apples demise for decades. Apple computers have been and still are ranked among the best on the market. The Apple II has evolved into one hell of a machine. The laptops are also tops in their field. Unfortunately for Apple, people would rather save some money up front and get a crappy HP off the shelf, then end up paying more money down the road for software upgrades, down time, and the constant antivirus circus.

Lets face it Jobs is a #1 a hole, just like Bill Gates and all the others in similar positions. However, Jobs has done a masterful job at making Apple profitable and marketing products that have become insanely popular. I do not know what Jobs has in store in the future, but he has some of the best minds in the field at his disposal and Apple clearly has no signs of slowing down. Android's only real advantage over the I-phone is that Android phones are available to virtually all cell phone carriers while the I-phone is currently stuck with that God awful AT&T. Even with this limitation Apple's products are holding their own. According to this article,

Reality Check: NPD’s Android vs. iPhone sales headlines — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

Androids are replacing MS blackberry's, palms and pseudo smart phones, not I-phones. Some of the android "sales" are also freebies from the carrier. Apple does not have much to worry about at this point. I also appreciate the healthy competition. That will hopefully keep the product quality up and eventually lower the prices which I think are already absurd.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X