Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Term Paper Thread

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    AG,
    Thanks for posting that. I learned a few nuances I hadn't know before and reaffirmed that good writing often includes passive construction.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Global Moderator
    Devil's Advocate
    My pleasure. Glad to know someone actually read it...just as long as it ain't me.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

I'm currently working a research paper on the "Overall Effectiveness of the US Led War on Terror", I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone, especially those with direct military insight.
    "Draft beer, not people."

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    What's your thesis?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by bigross86 View Post
    What's your thesis?
    Well my argument and personal opinion (at least initially) is that the War on Terror has been effective in keeping terrorists busy in their backyard, unable to successfully and coherently plan attacks on the US and other nations. But I'm just starting my research now and I am hoping I can gain a primary source in the form of someone who has had military experience against terrorists (Al Qaeda and otherwise).

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    Bluesman is actually a great source for this, it's a shame he's on a forced vacation at the moment. I'm pretty sure you can still send him an email through the User CP, though
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by bigross86 View Post
    Bluesman is actually a great source for this, it's a shame he's on a forced vacation at the moment. I'm pretty sure you can still send him an email through the User CP, though
    Okay many thanks.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Team View Post
    Well my argument and personal opinion (at least initially) is that the War on Terror has been effective in keeping terrorists busy in their backyard, unable to successfully and coherently plan attacks on the US and other nations. But I'm just starting my research now and I am hoping I can gain a primary source in the form of someone who has had military experience against terrorists (Al Qaeda and otherwise).
    Peruse through the CTC Sentinel and also through the Harmony database products that they have. I'd also recommend that you make your thesis very tight, as a "successful or not" argument is very broad.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Quote Originally Posted by Shek View Post
    Peruse through the CTC Sentinel and also through the Harmony database products that they have. I'd also recommend that you make your thesis very tight, as a "successful or not" argument is very broad.
    Yeah, maybe one based on diverting pressures off internal security or the major disruption of terrorist resources and leadership. I would probably do good to make my thesis resilient to counter-arguments on political and economic repercussions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Team View Post
    Yeah, maybe one based on diverting pressures off internal security or the major disruption of terrorist resources and leadership. I would probably do good to make my thesis resilient to counter-arguments on political and economic repercussions as well.
    I don't think you should necessarily make your thesis intentionally resilient to counter-arguments. Any "good thesis" should be a debatable topic, especially for an academic paper, otherwise there's no point in writing the thing in the first place. I would just make sure you define success and other terms that your argument hinges on as well as provide strong counterpoints to possible counterarguments to your points.

Is there a specific question posed for this paper or is an ambiguous "write a paper on this topic" type?

Pretty ambiguous argumentative research paper type assignment...the sky's the limit with what I can do with it

Officer of Engineers
    So what's your problem? Sounds like your prof wants to know if you can do research. You're not making life and death judgments on limited intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    So what's your problem? Sounds like your prof wants to know if you can do research. You're not making life and death judgments on limited intel.
    I'm looking for a primary source (ie. Someone who's served or has unique insight into War on Terror) to fill my requirement of at least one primary source. All my armed forces buddies are deployed either Japan or in country so I'm quite at a loss.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Does your professor want a primary source or an interview? You're appearing to confuse primary source with interview.

Well essentially an interview or a first hand account of a person directly involved on the topic at hand. That was his definition of "primary source."

Thread Information