Demining the surf zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demining the surf zone

Someone today asked me about demining in surf zones. Something I've never done. I suppose everything above the low tide mark would be much the same. I could even see cofferdamming the area one section at a time. Got me thinking.

I never dealt with underwater mines although I did go along while underwater obstacles were being checked. Luckily I never had to do anything about it. When I asked how you went about it they just said, "very carefully".

:hmmm:
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Seems a difficult area to mine. Tethered mines would lie exposed at low tide. Depending upon the surge of the surf, it would seem that those mines buried in sand would, minimally, likely be uncovered and exposed.

My recommendation? At low tide, bombard the selected zone from a standoff range using VT (variable time) air-burst. Do so "at my command" one round at a time. Insist that all rounds be observed and their effect. Helps to avoid dud rounds contributing to the problem instead of resolving it. Of course, what's the status of the beach-head? Is it occupied by hostile forces or have friendly troops conducted an aerial envelopment to secure the landing zone?

I'm no engineer though. I'd be interested to read the views of OoE and GySgt. Grape. As a marine, he's perhaps been privy to briefings regarding such.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

FAE dropped prior to the assault and then in-stride breeching using MicLic equipped AAVs and LCACs

Comment

The surf zone is the hardest thing to mine. Shifting sands and rocks make contact mines impossible. We could make magnetic and pressure mines sensitive enough to the shifting tides but again, shifting sands and rocks will force us to dig up the mine and replant it periodically. I'm trying to remember but in Halifax harbour, we have to do this every 3 days.

It would be a lot easier to put barriers up.

Comment

"...in-stride breeching using MicLic equipped AAVs and LCACs"

How do you mark lanes for follow-on craft and AAVs?
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Follow the bulldozer.

Comment

OoE Reply

"Follow the bulldozer."

We'll hope it's not lunchtime, sir.

Oh well, back to the FIRES bulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                The surf zone is the hardest thing to mine. Shifting sands and rocks make contact mines impossible. We could make magnetic and pressure mines sensitive enough to the shifting tides but again, shifting sands and rocks will force us to dig up the mine and replant it periodically. I'm trying to remember but in Halifax harbour, we have to do this every 3 days.
                Every three days!

It would be a lot easier to put barriers up.
                I was seeing razor wire secured to stanchions cemented into the seafloor to prevent swimmers. This was along with command detonated mines (I was told). I was busy making sure I had enough distance even though it was calm day.

I have now some food for thought about breaching a path through the beach. I was also thinking of a more peacetime situation of unexploded ordnance and mine removal. These days it seems these kind of operations are in demand.
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                X