Help me decide S&W M&P 40 or Ruger SR40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide S&W M&P 40 or Ruger SR40

The two seem pretty similar, any comments or recommendations? I made the deposit and the dealer will allow me to buy either one on Friday - after the paperwork clears. The Ruger had more features (adj sights, load ind), the S&W seemed a little more comfortable

I'm leaning toward the M&P
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    The two seem pretty similar, any comments or recommendations? I made the deposit and the dealer will allow me to buy either one on Friday - after the paperwork clears. The Ruger had more features (adj sights, load ind), the S&W seemed a little more comfortable

Wiskie,

After your deal with the locksmiths you may want to get some Claymore mines!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Wiskie,

After your deal with the locksmiths you may want to get some Claymore mines!
      Do they make a CL20 version, with a couple hundred 8x150mm fin stabilized DU flechettes?
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post

Features are worthless if you don't feel comfortable with a gun.

Have you tried them both?

Go with the one you feel more comfortable with.

I don't have any experiences with them other than they look like Glock derivatives.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I like the round but have no knowledge of either gun...........reaching for the popcorn.
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

S&W M&P40 it is

The M&P was a natural fit, I could hit the target with it.

The Ruger was a fine gun, but it didn't fit me - I missed the paper with the first two shots It gave me a thumb bite too, sloppy hand positioning - entirely my fault.

I was able to rapid fire the 2nd clip into the 6" circle at 50 feet, only 4 of 15 were outside, hadn't fired a pistol in 12 years. I will be shooting a box a week until I get it right. Got a shoulder holster and a bunch of locks and ammo - it is a beauty.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 17 Dec 10,, 22:53.

Comment

By the looks of the target you choose well. That gun was made for you. Many people can never quite understand the importance of firing a new weapon before buying it. All the pretty looks in the world, or reliability can't help at all if you can't hit anything with it or worse, afraid to shoot it. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Very nice! That's fine shooting, and when it boils down to it, it's about putting rounds downrange where you want them. Congrats on the weapon!
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

picture

Here she is, a sweet little thing - seems like half the weight is the loaded clip, with 15 x 180 grain "FMJ doses" - it felt like driving 100 mph when I fired her, a real adrenaline rush, I'm going to need to practice a lot to get used to all this power, her name is "Mabeline" after the Chuck Berry song... I think she needs a green laser - maybe next week...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by USSWisconsin; 19 Dec 10,, 18:12.

Comment

I own an M&P compact chambered in 9mm with no safeties for my concealed carry and I like it so much that I wanna get a full size M&P 40 to replace my H&K P2000 40. M&P is designed with a lower profile bore so you can control recoil better for your follow-on shots... It's a pretty good gun IMO..

Comment

Originally posted by Prezs100 View Post
                      I own an M&P compact chambered in 9mm with no safeties for my concealed carry and I like it so much that I wanna get a full size M&P 40 to replace my H&K P2000 40. M&P is designed with a lower profile bore so you can control recoil better for your follow-on shots... It's a pretty good gun IMO..
                      I've been very happy with it functionally - .40 is kind of expensive compared 9mm. A very nice automatic, it will shoot .357 Sig with a barrel change (barrel is round 80$). Light weight special bullets, like Glazer or MagSafe, reduce the recoil a lot, but they also have a bigger flash and noise.
                      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 09 Apr 11,, 16:22. Reason: fixed error in 357 type

Comment

Of course you meant to say the .357 Sig Automatic Cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                          Of course you meant to say the .357 Sig Automatic Cartridge.
                          Yes, thanks for the correction

Comment

Working...
                          X