Help me decide: H&K USP vs Sig Sauer P226

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide: H&K USP vs Sig Sauer P226

What is love? Love is your dad calling you after he researches crime statistics in your college town (Flint, MI), and offers you a choice of gently used, tenderly cared for handguns upon your next visit home. So, anyone want to help me decide? H&K USP vs Sig Sauer P226 (both 9mm). H&K only fired 5 times, not sure about the Sig, but both have to be at least a decade old since I haven't even heard of my dad shooting since I was 10 or so.

I'm leaning towards the SIG.
    Last edited by sappersgt; 09 Dec 10,, 01:07.
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I prefer the metal Sig Sauer to the plastic H&K.

Comment

SIG......thats 100% so far!

Comment

If that Sig is more than 10 years old, get the Sig. I love my P226s. They are easy to shoot and very accurate. One added bonus of a Sig over the HK is cheaper mags. HKs are notorious for expensive parts.

However, Sigs might need more maintenance. You will need to replace the recoil spring every 5000 rounds. There's a life span for the trigger bar spring as well (the older type). And a Sig runs best with lots of grease. Don't use oil. Use grease for the slide.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Sig sells spring kits, so you can change out the springs easily.

Comment

If the USP had been in .45, I would've said go with the H&K; but since it's "only" 9mm, I'd say go with the Sig.
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                If that Sig is more than 10 years old, get the Sig.
                More than 10, or did you mean less?

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                You will need to replace the recoil spring every 5000 rounds.
                That is going to take me a while. I'm a student with two kids, I don't have time or money to shoot quite that much :P

I'm definitely going to attend CPL classes and get my license, and try to get to the range maybe once a month to practice. No use having a handgun for defense if I can only hit innocent bystanders.

Comment

HK, but then that's because I own and carry a USP. Wouldn't trade it for anything else. :)
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Both are great and you really can't go wrong with either. I can't stress that enough.

You need to go through the ergonomics of each. See how they take down for cleaning and whatnot. Hold each for awhile and see which is more comfortable. You may be able to change clips, or de-**** one easier than the other. My Sig de-cocks slowly while the HK is far more abrupt. Then take the acid test, go shooting. You may find you gravitate towards one more than the other as one of them may not be comfortable for you to shoot. You may be far more accurate with one than the other as well.

I have a USP.40 and a sig 229. Not quite the same as you are looking at. Initially I shot better with the HK 3 dot sights, but after burning a lot of ammo I got used to the Sig 2 dot combat sights and now shoot the 229 very well. The USP grip is sharper and you may feel it after a long shoot, but I prefer it in inclement weather as it is less likely to slip/fall out of your hand. It is also easier to shoot with gloves on as it has a larger trigger guard.

I think the two are close in size but the weight distribution differs between them. The HK seems more top heavy to me. The differing wt distribution makes me alter my shooting style between guns. They also have a different feeling after carying them around in a holster all day. It is a subtle difference, but one none the less. You should also consider holsters. If you are going to carry it should be as comfortable and hidden as possible. If all other aspects end up being equal, one combo gun/holster, may be more suited to you than another.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I have only shot one handgun on one occasion, a .40 Smith and Wesson. Well, I put a single round through my friend's mystery-model .25 ACP, but I don't count that.

I've only been shooting for about a year and a half, and that is mostly clay shooting. My dad has a small armory, but never took me shooting or hunting. I just picked it up recently.

All that to say this, I'm not going to even know what feels right to me for either gun. Sure, one will give a better first impression, but once I actually know how to shoot properly my whole outlook will likely change. I'll probably go with the one that is more compact and can be used better with gloves, as it gets cold up here in MI. So unless the H&K feels horrid in my grip, that may be the one.

Comment

Whatever you pick, make sure it feels good then drill, drill and drill with it every chance you get until it's operation becomes second nature. Caliber is not as important as skill.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                          Both are great and you really can't go wrong with either. I can't stress that enough.

You need to go through the ergonomics of each. See how they take down for cleaning and whatnot. Hold each for awhile and see which is more comfortable. You may be able to change clips, or de-**** one easier than the other. My Sig de-cocks slowly while the HK is far more abrupt. Then take the acid test, go shooting. You may find you gravitate towards one more than the other as one of them may not be comfortable for you to shoot. You may be far more accurate with one than the other as well.

I have a USP.40 and a sig 229. Not quite the same as you are looking at. Initially I shot better with the HK 3 dot sights, but after burning a lot of ammo I got used to the Sig 2 dot combat sights and now shoot the 229 very well. The USP grip is sharper and you may feel it after a long shoot, but I prefer it in inclement weather as it is less likely to slip/fall out of your hand. It is also easier to shoot with gloves on as it has a larger trigger guard.

I think the two are close in size but the weight distribution differs between them. The HK seems more top heavy to me. The differing wt distribution makes me alter my shooting style between guns. They also have a different feeling after carying them around in a holster all day. It is a subtle difference, but one none the less. You should also consider holsters. If you are going to carry it should be as comfortable and hidden as possible. If all other aspects end up being equal, one combo gun/holster, may be more suited to you than another.
                          Good post. The only true way to see what you prefer is to spend some time with both. Seems to be that way with pistols, for some reason. And women, if you're on the dating scene.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

H & K in .40 caliber.

The only reason (I have no experience with either) is that it was chosen to arm airline pilots under the program instituted in 2002. For whatever reason, they decided the HK was the superior weapon, and I am assuming that a bunch of very smart people decided it was the better handgun for those somewhat trained, but not to the levels of the Secret Service, FBI, etc.

If you plan on carry, it's a different equation. I'll probably take some heat on this, but I'd go with one of the new single-stack micro .380 automatics as made by Ruger, S & W, and Kel-Tec. The .380 with a quality defensive round is not a popgun, and if you can't get it done with 7 rounds, then you aren't training enough.

99% of encounters are with single perps at very close ranges, and a .380 round like a Power-Ball will put some hurt on a guy. The reason I am a fan is their unbelievable small size and weight. Like a .25, except .380 ACP. Heavy and bulky guns tend to be left at home after the novelty wears off.

If it's for a domicile, I'd personally use a shotgun, but a hi-cap 9mm handgun with +P defensive loads (make sure they feed) is certainly adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by ErrantVenture11 View Post
                              More than 10, or did you mean less?
                              I ABSOLUTELY meant MORE than 10. That means the P226 was made in Germany with stamped carbon steel slide rather than the new machined stainless steel slide made in the US. They balance differently and I found the carbon steel slide to be lighter and easier to point.

I regularly shoot P220, P6 (P225 used by Germany police), P226, and P228. I find the P226 points and shoots best for me. Recoil is very mild due to the heavier weight. P220 is in 45 ACP so the recoil is heavier.

Originally posted by ErrantVenture11 View Post
                              That is going to take me a while. I'm a student with two kids, I don't have time or money to shoot quite that much :P

I'm definitely going to attend CPL classes and get my license, and try to get to the range maybe once a month to practice. No use having a handgun for defense if I can only hit innocent bystanders.
                              Of course a class will help. Also to echo what others have said, shoot both before deciding. Shoot some more. Get a good feel for both. Then decide.

I prefer Sig because of the metal frame. I'm not a big fan of plastic guns. I've shot my friend's USP 45. I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 36. Out of the 3, I like my Glock 36 the best, but I would rather have a Sig P245 (which I have never tried, but if it's anything like the P220, I'm game).
                              Last edited by gunnut; 09 Dec 10,, 20:27.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X