No announcement yet.

Help me decide: H&K USP vs Sig Sauer P226

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did any of you ever tried Glock17 gen 4?Just curious,since I'm about to (finally) buy my own pistol.
    Also you speak of shooting ''a lot''.What does that means,numberwise?
    Last edited by Mihais; 09 Dec 10,, 21:54.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      Did any of you ever tried Glock17 gen 4?Just curious,since I'm about to (finally) buy my own pistol.
      I don't have a 4th gen Glock. I have a 3rd Gen Glock 19 and Glock 36. I think the main difference is the checkering changed from giant square blocks to a more "sand paper" like feel. Also the backstrap is now modular to accomodate different users.

I shoot a lot by normal California standards. I shoot about 150 to 200 rounds of 45 and 9mm every time I go to the range. I try to go every week, but it's more like every other week or every 3rd week. Recently I picked up a thing for 22LR. I don't count these because they are so cheap to shoot.

I know some shooters fire 12000 to 15000 rounds a year. That's just a bit too rich for me. Besides, Kommiefornia banned shipping of ammo to normal people so my source of cheap ammo will be in jeopardy. Now I'm just stockpiling ammo in case of a zombie outbreak.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Now I'm just stockpiling ammo in case of a zombie outbreak.
        Cause you know one day they are gonna break out of DC and start eating people.

Comment

Well, eating their way all the way from DC, they might be full by the time they reach Kommiefornia.

I do know that if they break out of DC, I'm safe. Zombies are afraid of water. It's the only thing hungrier than they are.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Depends if Pelosi is at home....plus there is thier state legislature and lots of hollywood actors.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              Well, eating their way all the way from DC, they might be full by the time they reach Kommiefornia.

I do know that if they break out of DC, I'm safe. Zombies are afraid of water. It's the only thing hungrier than they are.
              No, vampires are afraid of water. Zombies are too dumb to know the difference.

Although I'm less worried about zombies eating their way from DC to kommiefornia. The real Americans in the heartland will stop them cold. I'm afriad of zombies from Sacramento and San Francisco. There's not much in the way between them and southern California.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                Although I'm less worried about zombies eating their way from DC to kommiefornia. The real Americans in the heartland will stop them cold. I'm afriad of zombies from Sacramento and San Francisco. There's not much in the way between them and southern California.
                Too late. I think we already HAVE zombies in Sacramento and San Francisco;I'm right in between both of those places, so I'm SCARED!

Not to change the subject, but anybody here have any experience with Knights Armament's SR-25 in 7.62x51mm/308 Winchester? I've fallen in love with that gun, but the Mrs. will probably put the kibbosh on that. Impact Guns has a full-on mil-spec XM-110, complete with hard case and Leupold sight, but they want $23,000 for the package; WAY too expensive for me, but a guy can dream, can't he? The SR-25 typically performs sub-MOA; a good shooter can get 0.5 groupings. Any thoughts/opinions?
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                  Not to change the subject, but anybody here have any experience with Knights Armament's SR-25 in 7.62x51mm/308 Winchester? I've fallen in love with that gun, but the Mrs. will probably put the kibbosh on that. Impact Guns has a full-on mil-spec XM-110, complete with hard case and Leupold sight, but they want $23,000 for the package; WAY too expensive for me, but a guy can dream, can't he? The SR-25 typically performs sub-MOA; a good shooter can get 0.5 groupings. Any thoughts/opinions?
                  I used to have a DPMS LR-308(literally the same gun as the knight, fraction of the price) it had a stainless, fluted, 24" bull barrel and was sub MOA out of the box. Big, heavy piece of artillery, excellent shooter. I'd put it up against a knight anyday. Somewhere on the forum i posted a card that I had shot at about 225 yds with three of three shots touching. It was very accurate.

Comment

I thought California zombies only ate TOFU. That and only vote for the far bazaar loony left wing idealisms. Take em down Gunnut before they get near my border!
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Errent. You really should invest in a shooting class. That will give you a good start on shooting with out having to over come any bad habits you may develop on your own. You will also be exposed to the safety/legal issues involved with guns that you may not think about on your own. A good class will pay off quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        Too late. I think we already HAVE zombies in Sacramento and San Francisco;I'm right in between both of those places, so I'm SCARED!

The SR25 EM is about 5-grand. For about the same price you can get a Barrett 98Bravo in 338 Lap, the gun I put on my Christmas list and I can hear Santa's derisive laughter all the way from the North Pole.
                        Last edited by Red Seven; 10 Dec 10,, 22:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post

For me it means at least 3 hours a week, but I have my own range here. For anybody who gets a new carry pistol...or anybody new to shooting...I recommend as much range time as possible and all the off-range, at-home unloaded handling you can stand provided you have gun safety procedures branded into your forehead. Trying different holster positions, drawing, dry-firing, take-down, reassembly...until you reach that Zen oneness with it :gunut:

Comment

Short Answer: Take the SIG P226 over the HK USP. Period.

Caveat 1: HK...um...how to put this politely...er...lets just say lack of candor in the company's bed side manner leaves a really bad taste in mouth...or magazine well, as the case were...on more than one occasion.

Caveat 2a : As has been alluded to herein, SIG has had some small part and/or metallurgy changes and/or issues over the years...been there and broken that.

Caveat 2b: SIG P226 is a little large in the girth (even though there is a swap in "short" trigger) so make **** sure you can handle it with either hand before you take delivery.

Longer/Better answer:

Option A: take one or the other, liquidate it and purchase a P35 pattern 9 x 19 mm and as much practice ammunition as the the differential will deliver. Trust me: if you have to bail out of a hotel room in El Paso buck naked after midnight and before sunrise, this is the one you want...of course a factory 20 rd. magz. is nice at that point :) .

RANDOM BTW: You can learn an awful lot giving a P35 slide a Magnaflux treatment every 5K-7K rounds...or, given your access, Magnaflux all sorts of self loading pistol slides and see what you find (very illuminating).

Option B: Caveat: Even a Jekyll and Hyde self loading weapon manufacturer gets it right every now and then: liquidate one (and the other, as the necessity may be). Get yourself an HK PSP 9 x 19 mm (don't think they catalog it anymore so shop the OEM/new or slightly used market...you are looking for the single column magz. with the heel release...let me reiterate: HEEL release, not someone pimping some P7M8 telling you it is the real deal). True PSP will pretty much mind itself if you can clear leather, hold on and do what you train to do.

Option C: Liquidate one or the other and acquire a Glock 17 and as much practice ammo is the differential will permit.

Caveat 1: Last Glock 17 I carried was what I guess you gents would call Gen. 2.

Caveat 2: I have handled and/or witnessed seven Glocks fail (5 x .40 S&W, one 9 x 19 mm and one .45 ACP) but I have fond, trouble free memories of several Glock 17s).

Regards,

William
                            Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Heh, El Paso reference! You better be packing something bigger than a pistol if you want to run around a tad south of there and survive...
                              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

The two in question might be a bit big, but if you ned to hit something at a longer range the Sig and HK can do it. I know we went through this before but trading a Sig or an HK for a glock is like trading in a super model for Susan Boyle.

Comment

Working...
                                X