• Show
Clear All

• Visualizing Mortality History

Go watch the vid on the NYT link, it is cool

Visualizing Mortality History - NYTimes.com

December 7, 2010, 1:00 pm
    Visualizing Mortality History
    By IAN AYRES

Hans Rosling, a guru of data animation, is at it again. Here is a very cool video showing 200 years of mortality/wealth progress in just four minutes:

(HT: Peter Siegelman)

Ian Ayres is a professor of law and economics at Yale. Follow @freakonomics on Twitter.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

I noticed that while during WWI there was a massive drop in mortality, but a very subtle, hardly noticeable drop in WWII, especially when focusing solely on the US
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
      I noticed that while during WWI there was a massive drop in mortality, but a very subtle, hardly noticeable drop in WWII, especially when focusing solely on the US
      Spanish influenza pandemic
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Yeah, the Spanish Flu killed more people than WW 1.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

I met Rosling in Dhaka in January.
          He's even more energetic presenting in person, and while some of the data he uses can be suspect (but, it is all UN / WB / IMF / etc sourced) the patterns that emerge are amazing.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
          X