• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Navy bombarded with Facebook complaints on use of 'Arabian Gulf'

Suck it....

U.S. Navy bombarded with Facebook complaints on use of 'Arabian Gulf'
    From Barbara Starr, CNN
    December 7, 2010 -- Updated 0036 GMT (0836 HKT)
    U.S. Navy bombarded with Facebook complaints on use of 'Arabian Gulf' - CNN.com

* The U.S. Navy's Facebook page has been flooded with thousands of messages
    * Messages complain about the Navy's use of "Arabian Gulf" instead of "Persian Gulf"
    * The Navy says the attack is from a coordinated computer initiative

Washington (CNN) -- The U.S. Navy's Facebook page is awash with thousands of pro-Iranian messages protesting the force's designation of the "Arabian Gulf" instead of the "Persian Gulf."

Since last Thursday, as many as 4,000 messages have hit the page as part of a coordinated computer initiative from around the world, according to the Navy.

The messages strongly advocate that the Navy use the name Persian Gulf instead of Arabian Gulf for the waters off the coast of Iran, and they are believed to have been a result of several Facebook "cause" pages advocating the change, according to Navy officials.

As a result of the extremely heavy traffic on the Navy Facebook page -- used by service members around the world -- and with postings still coming in, many of the messages are being designated as spam and are not being posted, according to Rear Adm. Dennis Moynihan, chief spokesman for the Navy. However, by scrolling through the site, viewers can still see several older anti-Arabian Gulf postings.

Some examples (with spellings and wordings verbatim) of postings:

-- "From thousands years ago this gulf had been persian gulf and it will be forever persian...sorry for americans."

-- "How can world trust you when you easily change the history ? It's persian Gulf forever."

-- "Is anybody in US Navy who has studied the geography? Have you ever been at school? Have you studied geography? What have you seen in geography? for sure it is Persian gulf. My question is can anybody change the name of America? that's crazy."

But even the Navy's action to deal with the flood of postings got comments. One writer posted a message saying, "why you delete my comment??"

The Navy posted a lengthy statement trying to explain its Facebook page is mainly for service members and those who follow U.S. Navy news.

"This protest started Thursday morning, 2 DEC, and has denied the use of this page, and more specifically the wall, to the majority of fans that normally use it," the statement said.

The Navy said it would continue to take down messages that appeared to be spam.

But it also said in its statement, "As for the primary points raised, we are aware of the long and proud history of the Persian people. You'll note we've permitted posting of content that supports this point. We are also well aware of the long history behind the origin of the name of the Persian Gulf. While sharing tasteful content that supports this has been permitted, out of deference to the fans here who expect more from us, we won't support inappropriate behavior and commentary. We encourage you to post your opinions to other forums better suited for this conversation."

"The use of the term "Arabian Gulf" (versus) Persian Gulf is used by naval forces including our regional partners there for years. We use this term in press releases, news stories, and photos coming from the Navy in the region," the statement added.

"The often cited Navy Style Guide that says to use the term "Arabian Gulf" (versus) Persian Gulf is really only applicable to them since commands in their area would be the only naval forces publishing stories in the region. In most other respects (nautical charts and publications for example) the historic name of Persian Gulf is used. We value and respect the partners with whom we serve around the globe, and mean no harm or insult to any people."
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Imagine them complaining of a "label" when we are "labeled" by them constantly such as "The West" or "Zionists" or yet other all the time wether it is the News or the Net.

I agree tell them to "suck it" and STFU! How does it feel?
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Boo Freakin' Hoo. Have they run out of things to complain about?
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        Imagine them complaining of a "label" when we are "labeled" by them constantly such as "The West" or "Zionists" or yet other all the time wether it is the News or the Net.

I agree tell them to "suck it" and STFU! How does it feel?
        The Arabs call you far worse... you're picking the wrong side here..
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

It's quite a simple thing: NATO calls it the Persian Gulf. The US government calls it the Persian Gulf. Even the DOD for the most part still calls it the Persian Gulf. USN, get with the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
            Not really, have heard worse. Not worried either. Its not hard to image criticism over things they will never understand. Maybe some of these countries shouldnt turn their heads to terrorists living within their borders and the US might not have to do some of the things she does. Big difference in cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
              It's quite a simple thing: NATO calls it the Persian Gulf. The US government calls it the Persian Gulf. Even the DOD for the most part still calls it the Persian Gulf. USN, get with the program.
              I dont think your reading this the way that it should be read. However it appears some are.

Comment

Not worried about it. If you listen to those that uses such words there are also many to describe the Arabs that I doubt they would like either. Only problem is though, I dont subscribe.;)

The Iranians have much bigger problems then this. But if this is where they choose to look instead well........

Comment

I have a special little violin for them ::-- it is made from 8 hydrogen atoms - it will play tiny inaudible sad songs about the terrible injustice they are enduring when someone calls the "big sea water" by a different name....

I saw a google earth picture the other day and it labeled that gulf as the Arabian Gulf
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

More serious issues for the Iranians:

US Cables on Iran

US embassy cables leak sparks global diplomatic crisis | World news | The Guardian

Iran relieves Foreign Minister:

Obviously dinnerjacket doesnt realize that no matter who he puts in that position the world is not going to accept his nuclear policy, agenda nor rhetoric. But when something happens, the Iranian people will no doubt understand. Understand enough to toss his ass from office and get someone in there that can actually engage the outside world on a different footing.

iWon News - Iran's president fires foreign minister

Iran calls for expulsion of UK diplomat:

iWon News - Iran hardliners demand expulsion of UK ambassador

IMO, If I were the Iranians, I would be more interested in the released diplomatic cables, relief of the Foreign Minister, calling for the expulsion of the UK diplomat and the materials this gives the Green movement to act upon for upcoming elections.

No doubt dinnerjacket will come up with something to make this all magicly disappear to his followers just in time for elections to come. Good luck with that.
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Dec 10,, 17:30.

Comment

Tomayto tomahto~ IMHO

The Iranians probably just looking for something to rage about to divert attention from their own screwed up internals.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        Not really, have heard worse. Not worried either. Its not hard to image criticism over things they will never understand. Maybe some of these countries shouldnt turn their heads to terrorists living within their borders and the US might not have to do some of the things she does. Big difference in cultures.
                        These are the sentiments of the Iranian people, not the Iranian government alone. And I don't see any major correlation with terrorists within borders and US support (or lack of). Saudi Arabia and Pakistan; 2 good examples.

Comment

These are the sentiments of the Iranian people, not the Iranian government alone. And I don't see any major correlation with terrorists within borders and US support (or lack of). Saudi Arabia and Pakistan; 2 good examples.
                          Maybe there is another message being sent that they are not recognizing. Maybe it is being focused at their government instead of the Iranian people. Think about what dinnerjacket spews at his little gatherings and think how this became about. Dinnerjacket is under the impression that if his regime obtains a weapon, Iran will somehow be catapulted to the number one important spot on the rule the world popularity list when in fact by acting the way the regime has since elected, Iran will further drift from world recognition becoming nothing more then a radical nuisance staggered by trade and import sanctions then a world power or player.

He hasnt gotten the message YET that you cannot force your neighbors to be friendly or want to trade with you or even fear you. But, you can act like a credible, repectable government and go from there and over time build those friendships.

I'm pretty sure the USN knows what the real name of that body of water is and Im also positive they have for a very long time. When you see it spelled out on Merits, Cruise jackets etc. Are you following me here?

What I see is alot of over reaction over something that is inmaterial to the possible message being sent to the Iranian government but not spelled out for all to understand.

The possibility exists though no? :hmmm:
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Dec 10,, 00:39.

Comment

I know what you are saying; but really what is there to spell out? Dinner jacket seems far beyond any logical reasoning. He has been extremely successful at isolating his country from all others; and it actually seems like its something hes proud of. Atleast going by his antics. The man is a moron; even if you spell something out, how do you even expect him to know how to read such writing on the wall? I personally think its beyond his capabilities.

Comment

I know what you are saying; but really what is there to spell out? Dinner jacket seems far beyond any logical reasoning. He has been extremely successful at isolating his country from all others; and it actually seems like its something hes proud of. Atleast going by his antics. The man is a moron; even if you spell something out, how do you even expect him to know how to read such writing on the wall? I personally think its beyond his capabilities.
                              IMO, You are probably right, but then again dinnerjacket is not the sharpest knife in the Iranian drawer anyway. There are probably those that can read it without too much diffaculy though. Maybe this will compel the masses as time moves forward. This actually works for her neighbors in many ways they will benefit from Irans ignorrance.

Irans Foreign Policy not too change although Minister fired:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...Top+Stories%29

IMO, Any morron could see that no matter who he appoints to that position they are not going to be able to sell his policy. I wouldnt be surprised if that position becomes a revolving door from this point on.
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Dec 10,, 14:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X