Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Kindle (or another e-reader)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Kindle (or another e-reader)?

I know all y'all are a bunch of book worms, reading when you should be outdoors or watching TV and drinking beer indoors. Or even play games on your consoles or computers. How many of you read books on these fancy schmancy electronic book gizmos? I'm a techie, but I'm also old school. I still have a newspaper subscription, and it's not the online version. I'd rather read a book on paper (if I read) rather than these Star Trek readers.
    I'm hip, I'm cool, I use Kindle (or other e-readers)
    44.83%
    I hate my eyes and read books on computer/laptop/iPad
    6.90%
    I'm old school and prefer paper
    41.38%
    Books? We don't need no stinkin' books!
    6.90%
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

While I don't have a kindle or any similar E-Reader yet (so far I have seen none that offers all the features I would like to have), I do often read books on my computer. While I do of course prefer real books, I also did spend (and still do) quite a lot of time in hospitals. Since I do finish 2 or 3 books each day while there, I need lots of space to store all those books while I am there. After a while I started to use my notebook for reading while in the hospital. Instead of dozens of book I only need my computer. The option to go online from my room instead of the terminal in the lobby is of course another bonus.

I detest reading newspapers though..not because of the content but because the format of the papers is just the most impractical I can think of. Completly unhandy and required way too much space to even turn a page.

Comment

I don't read books as in novels or something that's long and continuous. I read newspapers and magazines and books with short articles in them. I guess I just couldn't hold my attention on something for too long.

Comment

I am interested in a Kindle, but still don't have one. I suppose having a library at your fingertips is nice, but I have no need for more than 1 (maybe 2) books when I go on a trip. Otherwise, how else will I build a nice collection for the shelves?!
        "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

I use my ipod touch for reading. Not good for extended reading but convenient for when bored.
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnG View Post
            I am interested in a Kindle, but still don't have one. I suppose having a library at your fingertips is nice, but I have no need for more than 1 (maybe 2) books when I go on a trip. Otherwise, how else will I build a nice collection for the shelves?!
            Well, if Kindle is anything like Apple product, you can still build up a nice collection on the shelves as new models come out every year, which feature only incremental upgrades.

Comment

I can't turn anywhere without seeing ads for it, but no, ain't got one. Don't think I will either tbh - It's 120 euro off the bat, and my absolute favourite time of the day is in the evening, curling up on the sofa with wifey in one arm and a decent (and usually battered) paperback in the other. Can't envision it being the same with a kindle.

I adore books and have huge nostalgia on account of the family I grew up in - We had very little disposable income but what we did have usually went in to the arts, literature especially. Dad used to spend hours at the weekend catogorising them into some semblance of order: sport, Gaeilge, crime, real life, bio, it was mindboggling. My own place is littered with them wherever you can look. I like the way the cover of a book can pique your interest as well, the mystery of what it's about. I like that, and I think technology can wreck the feeling of a good book.

So I'll stick with the battered paperback, I think :).
              Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

I'm old school, read two newspapers every day, at least two books a week. When I replaced my laptop, I'm thinking maybe I should have got a desktop AND a notebook for the slight increase in cost. I didn't initially care for the screen size of any of the readers. Have a friend who just got a Kindle, he reads as much as I do. I'm watching closely to see how it works out for him.:hmmm:
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I have the Kindle app on my iphone and some other reader apps. It is nice to be able to carry 20 books in your pocket, but real books are nicer to read.

Comment

I occasionally read novels online- Gutenberg's good for classics I don't have when I don't have time to go to a library, and Baen Books has a wide selection of SF novels available on their website. I'm thinking about getting my sister a Kindle for Christmas, she's been pining for one for a while.
                    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I didn't find a happy choice, while I love real books, some are hard to find and an electronic copy is a good substitue. Free google books are great too, so I do both, read on screens and pages. I'm waiting to see how kindle pans out, not enough titles in areas I'm interested in yet. I seems like a nice idea, but a tablet pc may be a better way (might be widely available in a few years), not requiring a bunch of dedicated devices. I wouldn't want to read on a phone, too tiny.
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I use a Fuji Stylistic 3500 tablet running win2000 with a 60gb hd for a reader. I got it off ebay for around $100 a couple years ago. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to use a stylus, but that is minor. I also use it as a GPS device with a receiver.

Comment

I have a Kindle and currently have around 185 titles loaded on it. Had to switch to the Kindle when my wife threatened me to stop buying books as we had run out of space to store them. So the next best thing was to go in for a Kindle.

For the newspaper I prefer the reading the real thing, the e- version does not work for me. Need to read 2-3 newspapers to get the real gist of the story.

Comment

I have a Nook(Barnes and Noble e reader) and I am loving it.
                            Because of e-ink , It's not much different from normal book .The best thing is obviously that I dont have to carry books when I am shifting.
                            Keyboard is mightier than gun

Comment

I also have a Nook and love it but I still buy read and enjoy paper books. I have about 365 books on my Nook and I've had it sense last February.

Comment

Working...
                              X