Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Kindle (or another e-reader)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

I won't gop Kindle, etc., because I love the feel and smell of a book.

Sounds wierd I know but I enjoy the tactile sensation of reading.
    I have a Kindle, and I love it. But you are dead on about the tactile sensation of a real book. I find I use my Kindle most when travelling, its really great for that. One weird little side note on the Kindle is that it has an experimental web browser on it and for some reason it isn't affected by the Great China Firewall. I found that to be a really neat little addition to it.

Comment

I'm edging toward a Kindle mainly because there are some 1.5 million books available free. Granted most of them were published before 1928 (copyrights have expired). In the history category there are many excellent titles available, particularly on US history. Anyone who devours books of that nature would easily justify the cost of the Kindle over time.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Genosaurer View Post
        I got a Kindle for my birthday this year. I find the prices for most books to be almost offensively high (often more than you would pay for the same title in paperback on Amazon) but have otherwise been happy with the service, and the Kindle reader itself is nice.
        Considering how many of these books are available on pirated websites they are not doing themselves any favours. I don't pirate due to my feelings on how it hurts the gaming industry but I can understand why some would feel justified ripping off a 30 second download to save 20 bucks per book.

There is no cost on printing them, make them cheap enough to be worth while. While that won't stop all the piracy it would help I think.
        Originally posted by GVChamp
        College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

My daughter hinted the Kindle might be a good Christmas present for me. I informed her in the most polite way possible that I would never use it so don't bother. I suppose on the other hand, it would be a good gift for her next birthday.

Comment

My dad bought a Kindle Fire so he gave me his Kindle 3. I've got over 100 titles on it and I love it. I've gotten almost as much reading done in the past 2 months as I have in the year before that. It's bloody brilliant!
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by mako88sb View Post
              My daughter hinted the Kindle might be a good Christmas present for me. I informed her in the most polite way possible that I would never use it so don't bother. I suppose on the other hand, it would be a good gift for her next birthday.
              She used psychology and you are now destined to buy her what she wanted for herself in the first place. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                She used psychology and you are now destined to buy her what she wanted for herself in the first place. ;)
                Nope. I'm way too clever to fall for that one....again!:whome:

Comment

I use the Kindle Chrome app on my laptop. The nice thing is that a lot of classic books (and some newer books trying to get some publicity) are free (for the time being). Books are fairly cheap as well (not always as cheap as used paperbacks though).

Comment

True, there is nothing like holding a book in your hands, and some of the books I've got on my bookcase back home show the love (abuse) I've shown them over multiple readings, but there is something to be said for the availability and variety you can carry on one Kindle
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

There also seem to be more and more online sites offering free (or very low-cost) "e-books" for download. On some of these sites, you can even upload your own book (that you have written) and make it available to the community.

It seems to be a great way to promote your individual agenda, program, or manifesto . . . . if that is your thing.

Comment

I usually read from the phone on the way to work. Paper books are very bulky, and Kindle is too expensive for me yet.

Comment

I've had a progression of tablets over the years that have all seen use as e-readers. I started out with a Sony eInk reader, but replaced it with a 1st gen iPad (really nice, but very heavy), then a Google Nexus 7 (perfect size for reading, but a little small for anything else), a Dell Android tablet, then a Kindle Fire HD 10. The Fire is pretty nice, but I wasn't fond of the need to basically hack it to get Google apps on the device.

I also have had trouble with the Kindle app on any tablet randomly removing books, including ones I loaded manually from non-Amazon sources. This is especially annoying because I'm often wanting to read in places that don't have internet access.

I finally broke down and bought a Microsoft Surface Go to use as both an e-reader and as a more portable laptop for work (I'm an IT guy and lugging a big heavy laptop around to use for configuring devices and looking up settings gets old quick). This has worked very well as I was able to load my entire library of e-books I've gathered over the years in addition to all my Kindle books.

Comment

Working...
                          X