View Poll Results: What do you use to read?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm hip, I'm cool, I use Kindle (or other e-readers)

13 44.83%
  • I hate my eyes and read books on computer/laptop/iPad

2 6.90%
  • I'm old school and prefer paper

12 41.38%
  • Books? We don't need no stinkin' books!

2 6.90%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone use Kindle (or another e-reader)?

Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post

I won't gop Kindle, etc., because I love the feel and smell of a book.

Sounds wierd I know but I enjoy the tactile sensation of reading.
    I have a Kindle, and I love it. But you are dead on about the tactile sensation of a real book. I find I use my Kindle most when travelling, its really great for that. One weird little side note on the Kindle is that it has an experimental web browser on it and for some reason it isn't affected by the Great China Firewall. I found that to be a really neat little addition to it.

Global Moderator Defense Professional JAD_333's Avatar
    I'm edging toward a Kindle mainly because there are some 1.5 million books available free. Granted most of them were published before 1928 (copyrights have expired). In the history category there are many excellent titles available, particularly on US history. Anyone who devours books of that nature would easily justify the cost of the Kindle over time.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Canadian again at last! Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
    I got a Kindle for my birthday this year. I find the prices for most books to be almost offensively high (often more than you would pay for the same title in paperback on Amazon) but have otherwise been happy with the service, and the Kindle reader itself is nice.
    Considering how many of these books are available on pirated websites they are not doing themselves any favours. I don't pirate due to my feelings on how it hurts the gaming industry but I can understand why some would feel justified ripping off a 30 second download to save 20 bucks per book.

There is no cost on printing them, make them cheap enough to be worth while. While that won't stop all the piracy it would help I think.

Regular
    My daughter hinted the Kindle might be a good Christmas present for me. I informed her in the most polite way possible that I would never use it so don't bother. I suppose on the other hand, it would be a good gift for her next birthday.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    My dad bought a Kindle Fire so he gave me his Kindle 3. I've got over 100 titles on it and I love it. I've gotten almost as much reading done in the past 2 months as I have in the year before that. It's bloody brilliant!
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mako88sb View Post
    My daughter hinted the Kindle might be a good Christmas present for me. I informed her in the most polite way possible that I would never use it so don't bother. I suppose on the other hand, it would be a good gift for her next birthday.
    She used psychology and you are now destined to buy her what she wanted for herself in the first place.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dave lukins View Post
    She used psychology and you are now destined to buy her what she wanted for herself in the first place.
    Nope. I'm way too clever to fall for that one....again!

I use the Kindle Chrome app on my laptop. The nice thing is that a lot of classic books (and some newer books trying to get some publicity) are free (for the time being). Books are fairly cheap as well (not always as cheap as used paperbacks though).

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    True, there is nothing like holding a book in your hands, and some of the books I've got on my bookcase back home show the love (abuse) I've shown them over multiple readings, but there is something to be said for the availability and variety you can carry on one Kindle
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Regular
    There also seem to be more and more online sites offering free (or very low-cost) "e-books" for download. On some of these sites, you can even upload your own book (that you have written) and make it available to the community.

It seems to be a great way to promote your individual agenda, program, or manifesto . . . . if that is your thing.

Thread Information