Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Kindle (or another e-reader)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my sister the Kindle she wanted. I'm rather in love. The screen is amazing, it really is like paper, but much higher resolution than I expected. Extremely thin and lightweight- easier to hold than a book, and you can read one handed easily. A lot of public domain books are free, and books in general are much cheaper than new paper books.

Will it replace paper books entirely? No, but it's great for heavy readers and heavy travelers. Also good if you don't have much space in your home, and/or don't have a very good public library. I'll never give up physical books entirely- I like to make notes in the margin, and I just like real books in general, but there are enough positives to the Kindle that I may get one in the next year or two.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Yep, bought me a KOBO reader last Septmeber, holds upto 1000 books, is slim easy to carry and use. Great for travelling, when in waiting rooms and reading the books you would never buy to add to your collection, saves a walk to the library, at home never use it, always the book in hand, with a single malt (alas no cigar now, as I have quit smoking) or newspaper.......... but when on the road excellent .
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

I am a bit of a bookworm, I read about 2-3 books per week.And, although I love the very feel and smell and sight of books in my library (which takes up one room of my house) I know that sooner or later I must somewhat tone the "book-buying habit" down.

The purchase of an e-book reader has been one great solution for me. I can find a great deal of books online and I can read books that I am interested in but have no intention of buying (or reading books that I have no intention of reading again)

But, truth be told, I don't think an ebook reader, no matter how good it is, will take the place of a regular book in my heart for quite some time....

Comment

I think Kindle is a doomed niche product. Because of its rather boring design and the b/w display which can't show pictures, it doesn't suit the biggest market - books for children and teenagers.

Comment

I have an old piece of outdated crud called the EbookWise. Love it. Gots me some freebee classics on it from gutenberg project. Got lots of Bean stuff. And, there's no chance the "... then she lowered her lips to his throbbing..." type literature will get discovered while my carry on is going through security.

An advantage of ebook gizmos over computers, for reading... the screen doesn't flicker on ebook gizmos. Eye fatigue isn't a prob. Also, if you have an ebook gizmo that's back lit, like my cruddy old fashioned one, you can read while laying in bed with the lights off.

Comment

Originally posted by Damac View Post
              you can read while laying in bed with the lights off.
              Obviously filling in the missing word

"... then she lowered her lips to his throbbing..."

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                Obviously filling in the missing word

"... then she lowered her lips to his throbbing..."
                You going to list that book on the WAB book traders thread?
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by andrew View Post
                  I think Kindle is a doomed niche product. Because of its rather boring design and the b/w display which can't show pictures, it doesn't suit the biggest market - books for children and teenagers.
                  The data clearly speaks otherwise - e-book sales are more than hardcopy. Besides, how many teenagers really read picture books, and how many wouldn't want an e-book device to go with their iPod?
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I'm seriously looking at one for the various paperbacks I read. My shelf space is seriously filling up, so this should alleviate the problem.

I like real books, but there's a place for a Kindle. (softcover paperbacks) It wouldn't replace a larger picture filled book.

ZF-

Comment

Wouldn't need this with a Kindle. I have nothing against the Kindle; actually makes good sense when you're out and about. But what happens to all those nice libraries and the shelf industry?
                      Attached Files
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                        The data clearly speaks otherwise - e-book sales are more than hardcopy. Besides, how many teenagers really read picture books, and how many wouldn't want an e-book device to go with their iPod?
                        Turn it the other side. How many of them would want to carry in their pockets multiple specialized devices when some smart corporation will offer a universal entertainment device with no strings attached?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew View Post
                          Turn it the other side. How many of them would want to carry in their pockets multiple specialized devices when some smart corporation will offer a universal entertainment device with no strings attached?
                          The Kindle is the best e-reader product out there. E-ink is designed for long reading periods and has an associated superior battery life. There's a reason why they are the leader in the e-reader market. Besides, books don't fit in your pocket - they fit in your bag.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                            Wouldn't need this with a Kindle. I have nothing against the Kindle; actually makes good sense when you're out and about. But what happens to all those nice libraries and the shelf industry?
                            [ATTACH]24749[/ATTACH]
                            You piker!!!

I have 4 like that.

I won't gop Kindle, etc., because I love the feel and smell of a book.

Sounds wierd I know but I enjoy the tactile sensation of reading.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

I've really been thinking of getting one. I love my book collection and even after all these t\years of travel it grew a lot. More than half of all my possessions are books and they got expensive to move around!

I want an ereader for trash books. Stuff like historical fiction or other entertainment. I often don't buy them because if I am going to fork out $20+ I would rather get a history book. I know I like those even the boring heavy reading where I learn something. Sometimes I just want to be entertained hence why I bought the first two Harry Potter books today. Surely for other books of fiction I should start getting an ereader collection to save money and space.

How much money can I save per book do you think?
                              Originally posted by GVChamp
                              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

I got a Kindle for my birthday this year. I find the prices for most books to be almost offensively high (often more than you would pay for the same title in paperback on Amazon) but have otherwise been happy with the service, and the Kindle reader itself is nice.
                                "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                                X