Favorite war fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chogy,

it was a fun read indeed. my only issue is that the lizards were so -dumb-, despite priding themselves on thinking things through. they -knew- going in that the technology level was higher...they -knew- going in that they had limited stocks (they have factories onboard, and later, on the ground-- but couldn't produce at the rate of expenditure)...so their response is to invade every continent all at once???

guess they never learned about conservation of force.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
      chogy,

it was a fun read indeed. my only issue is that the lizards were so -dumb-, despite priding themselves on thinking things through. they -knew- going in that the technology level was higher...they -knew- going in that they had limited stocks (they have factories onboard, and later, on the ground-- but couldn't produce at the rate of expenditure)...so their response is to invade every continent all at once???

guess they never learned about conservation of force.
      Imperial Hubris? ;)
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, another sci-fi book. Haldeman was a Vietnam vet, and the combat is raw and authentic. The bulk of the book deals with time dilation by the troops; every time they rotate home, the earth has aged hundreds or thousands of years, and they must deal with a changing human species; yet the war goes on.
        Saw a short excerpt from that on the Atomic Rockets website, been on my want to read list since.
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

For some reason, I've never been much into the Napoleonic land wars which is odd as I enjoyed the Sharpe mini-series quite a lot and have always been interested in the naval fiction of that period. Anyway, I gave Simon Scarrow's "Young Bloods" a try:

Young Bloods: Revolution 1769-1795 (The Wellington and Napoleon Quartet): Amazon.co.uk: Simon Scarrow: Books

I knew a bit about Napoleon but virtually nothing about Arthur Wellesley so this book was quite an eye opener about them. Although both where born in 1769, Arthur apparently came very close to not surviving his first night on Earth. This book swaps perspective a lot as they grow up and there's quite a contrast in their personalities. There where numerous times while reading about Author that I wondered how the heck this confused young man would become one of Britain's most famous soldiers. This book is the first of a 4 part series and I found myself eagerly waiting for the next installment. A very enjoyable series. Now time to start on Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series.

Comment

Well, it's finals time, so I did most logical step when I need to focus on my studies. I started reading War and Peace again. I can't believe it's been 10 years since I read this last...
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
            X