Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite war fiction

I have a couple of series I have read and read again:

"A Sailor of Austria" by John Biggins. There are three additional volumes of the adventures of Ritter von Prohaska. Very entertaining.

John Biggins | The Prohaska Novels

The Bartholomew Bandy series by Donald Jack. "Three Cheers for Me" and 8 other books.

Donald Jack Bartholomew Bandy and the Bandy Papers Humourist Humorist Donald Jack First World War air ace aviation great war royal flying corps air force pilot fighter Canadian Literature

The Flashman series are also very, very good, though part of an earlier era.
    There is no horse too dead to beat.

Sharpe .

Comment

Starship troopers.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
        Starship troopers.
        Awesome book and a fun movie!!!
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
          Starship troopers.
          Absolutely, followed by All Quiet on the Western Front.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Absolutely, followed by All Quiet on the Western Front.
            I only liked the movie Starship Troopers purely because of the shower scene. :D The book was awesome! I love that Colonel Dubois's explanation about "controlled violence" versus nonviolence stance.

Comment

"The 13th Valley", by John M. Del Vecchio.

Technically, it's fiction, but it's loosely based on real people. Amazon.com says, "The seminal novel on the Vietnam experience, The 13th Valley is a classic that illuminates the war in Southeast Asia like no other book."
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Stanley Kubrick-Dr. Strangelove-
                J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                  Sharpe .
                  I second tankie, excellent series.

The one set in Portugal was excellent.
                  "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, another sci-fi book. Haldeman was a Vietnam vet, and the combat is raw and authentic. The bulk of the book deals with time dilation by the troops; every time they rotate home, the earth has aged hundreds or thousands of years, and they must deal with a changing human species; yet the war goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                      "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, another sci-fi book. Haldeman was a Vietnam vet, and the combat is raw and authentic. The bulk of the book deals with time dilation by the troops; every time they rotate home, the earth has aged hundreds or thousands of years, and they must deal with a changing human species; yet the war goes on.
                      Mandella was a stud!

Just finished The Fort by Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe author) Excellent
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Just finished The Fort by Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe author) Excellent
                        That was good read. I'm passing The Fort around.
                        I have most of Cornwell's books. Too bad we'll have to wait another year for the next one.
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

by Egerland
                          have a couple of series I have read and read again:

"A Sailor of Austria" by John Biggins. There are three additional volumes of the adventures of Ritter von Prohaska. Very entertaining.
                          John Biggins | The Prohaska Novels

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered all four used from Amazon. Lots of fun.
                          Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                          (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Not historically-accurate fiction, but I'm keen to read some works by Harry Turtledove sometime, especially the series that starts with Guns of the South. Not quite sure if I'd make the time to read the one where aliens invade Earth during the middle of WWII -- but the plot is fascinating (enemy of my enemy is my friend [Nazis + Soviets + Western Allies, Jews as allies of the aliens) and its Vietnam/insurgency overtones. The aliens may seem like a cheap schtick, but it's a clever plot device.
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Ironduke, if you like Turtledove and sci-fi in general, you will like the alien invasion novels. It's been years since I've read them, but the premise is truly fascinating.

The aliens are a species that develop very, very slowly because they want every iteration to be perfect, and safe. For example, when they developed the airplane (like their own Wright Bros), it would take them perhaps a century of tedious R & D before "Wright Flyer II" might see the air. They could not concieve of developing faster; it was simply their nature as a species.

They sent a probe to earth ca. 1200, saw knights on horses, thought "We got these primitives, easily" and put their invasion fleet together. 800 years later they arrive and are shocked to find the "primitives" have jet airplanes and almost have nuclear weapons. With resupply of their high-tech equipment being hundreds of years away, they have to fight with what they have, vs. Rommel, Patton, Roosevelt, Hitler, and Stalin.

Fun stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X