No announcement yet.

Body scanners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But then again, some people profess to put more faith in technology than in dogs' nose. They just can't bring themselves to trust the dogs' nose. The million dollar machines might be giving the illusion of safety just for peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      The point is the bomb does not get aboard. Everything else is secondary. Yes, you're inconvienced but you're not drowning over a burnt pillow in the middle of the Atlantic ... and no, there is no consitutional right not to be sniffed by a dog. It's a dog. Dogs sniffed. Period.
      I was talking about that "explosion booth" idea tankie gave.
      Of coarse preventing an aircraft go boom in the middle of air should always be on highest priority, but individual innocent lives are also no less.

And dogs, I love dogs. They are the cheapest and (if highly trained and chosen from refined breed like a Beagle) most reliable way of busting the bad guys all around the world.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
        But then again, some people profess to put more faith in technology than in dogs' nose. They just can't bring themselves to trust the dogs' nose. The million dollar machines might be giving the illusion of safety just for peace of mind.
        Machines also often develop malfunctions .
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          Do both. If you can afford a $mil machine, then, an extra $30K should not be a problem. However, if bean counting is the issue, tell me how many bean counters would go for the $mil machine over the $30K dog?

Comment

Originally posted by Pak Nationalist View Post
            Machines also often develop malfunctions .
            You're not a friend of Arnie, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              You're not a friend of Arnie, are you?
              Arnie the terminator? I guess not.
              sigpic

Comment

Arnie the terminator? I guess not.
                Oh lordy stop meeeeeeeee , no mate , he means Arnie the turbanhater , :whome:

Comment

lol

Honestly speaking, I am confused on this one. :bana:
                  sigpic

Comment

Who has a copy of the WAB Dictionary ??

Comment

lol

Honestly speaking, I am confused on this one. :bana:
                      You are not alone ;)
                      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 30 Nov 10,, 02:56.
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

It goes back to a couple on a tv prog , only fools n horses i think , when Delboy was selling horse rider helmets to ethnic populace painted red as m/cycle helmets, one was a Pakistani or Indian doc who got conned , so Del tried to make it look like a turban , he (THE DOC) werent havin none of it , hence Arnie the turbanhater , BUT,if ya dont get that prog in your part of the globe its not surprising your confused , ahh well never mind , my bad , soz

Comment

Tankie - for the pure visuals, your idea is brilliant. I am unaware of any sort of signal that can detonate a capless block of PETN or similar, but that doesn't mean something doesn't exist.

We discussed dogs and chemical sniffers in the other thread, and I am on board. There is a problem, though, in that there are explosives other than nitrates, so the dogs would have to be trained on a large number of compounds, and there might be some similarities between an explosive and a consumer product. Peroxide explosives, for example. Your dog may take down some kid with pimple cream.

All of the really good explosives have nitrates. But there are also peroxides, azides, chlorates, perchlorates, styphnates... the list is huge.

Comment

Nice point chogy.

And can't anybody just make the scent of explosives undetectable for dogs' nose by spraying some highly stinky stuff or something?
                            sigpic

Comment

And can't anybody just make the scent of explosives undetectable for dogs' nose by spraying some highly stinky stuff or something?
                              Drug smugglers have been trying that for decades. I saw an amazing show (might have even been Mythbusters) on their (dogs) abilities. In one test, they wrapped a few joints in many layers of plastic, then buried that inside a tub of peanut butter. Peanut butter is an American favorite that is very potent smelling of peanuts. The dogs found it with ease. Drugs immersed in gasoline, same thing, the dogs' noses are amazing.

I know drug dogs find more than one type of drug, so a good bomb dog should be able to recognize 98% of applicable explosives. I'd rather have a nice Golden Retriever stick his nose in my crotch (they do that anyhow) than some big dude.

Comment

Working...
                              X