Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernow Reply

Originally posted by Kernow View Post
    Bore sighting only really needs to be done once, thereafter use the Muzzle Reference System (MRS).
    NEGATIVE on that one buddy!!!! Boresight Verification procedures are carried out very regularly. In the Artrillery world we perform Borsight verifications Weekly as part of Weekly PMCS on both the Optical and Digital Systems. When emplacing a howitzer using the "Glass and Iron Sights" your perform a boresight verification procedure as part of your emplacment procedres.

You perform Fire Control Alignment tests as part of Quartely and Annual Services, any time your receive new eauipment or equipment that has just come out of higher echelon maintenance.

On my team 1 have one retired US Army SFC Tanker who was a Master Gunner, and I have a former USMC SSgt M1 Maintainer, and they have confiremed that the Tanker community take their Fire Ccntrol Alignment and Boresight Verification procedures just as seriously as us Arty types.

Howitzers and Tanks are maintenance intensive beasts, you are always working on something, even just sitting in the motorpool things can magically go bad requireing maintenance.

Regards

Arty

Edit, Kernow, I have just looked at your profile and see that you have 24 years experience as a Tanker. I feel like a bit of a tool with this above response. Obviously I misunderstand what you mean by only boresight once.
    Last edited by ArtyEngineer; 18 Mar 11,, 04:53.
    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kernow View Post
      Bore sighting only really needs to be done once, thereafter use the Muzzle Reference System (MRS).
      We boresighted every single morning, even if we knew the tanks weren't going anywhere. Wake up, take the tank out, do the Before Movement Checklist, make sure everything still works, boresight the gun, take her back in and perform the Idling Checklist. Even if she then didn't move until the end of the night, we'd still do the After Movement Checklist and Security Defaults, making sure everything is in it's right place and defaults in case we have to jump in her and take her out quickly
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        We boresighted every single morning, even if we knew the tanks weren't going anywhere. Wake up, take the tank out, do the Before Movement Checklist, make sure everything still works, boresight the gun, take her back in and perform the Idling Checklist. Even if she then didn't move until the end of the night, we'd still do the After Movement Checklist and Security Defaults, making sure everything is in it's right place and defaults in case we have to jump in her and take her out quickly
        Not having enemy tanks just a few clicks away we only boresighted for the range, or when we were going to be using MILES gear such as at the NTC.

Comment

• Arty agree with you in part.

Bore sighting of Tanks would be undertaken prior to a Range Period (Firing). A Bore Sight Screen is set out at 1,100m (if I remember correctly), a large circle with a dot in the middle. Commander places bore sight into the muzzle and lays the gunner on, if the sight is out the gunner adjusts from inside. The Commander will then ask the gunner to break his lay and relay, commander rechecks. The commander then rotates the bore sight and rfelays from the opposite side of the muzzle, and commences with the previous sequence.

There after the gunner uses his Muzzle Reference System to check his bore sight accuracy. The gunner would check MRS after evry 2 or 3 rounds fired.

If you have a barrel strike, new barrel etc. then you have to bore sight.

Comment

• I know in Bradley equipped units we boresighted as part of weekly PMCS, between runs on the range, after every move of 30 kilometers (per FM 23-1). MILES borsighting was different..a continuous process.

Boresighting the TOW launcher box was like midwifing an elephant birth....that bitch was heavy!
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X