The Wilderness War Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wilderness War Tour

I just completed a tour of the eastern battlefields of the Widlerness War of 1777...sometimes referred to as the Saratoga Campaign. Been planning this for a year. Had my brothers and a couple of friends along with my son and 2 nephews...11 folks total.

Unfortunately had to do it too late to get FT Ticonderoga open but we headquartered in Glens Falls, NY and then to in FT Anne, Skenesborough (now Whitehall), approach march to Hubbardton, Hubbardton Battlefield (did some dirt road driving for that one!). Had lunch and then took Stark's and Warner's routes to Bennington and finished the day at the grave of Jenny McCrae in Fort George. The next day was following the land route to Saratoga and then on the sites of the 2 battles on the National Battlefield Park as well as a side visit to Schuyler's House and the Saratoga Monument.

All together, 600 miles up on Friday 22 OCT, 225 miles on 23 OCT, 52 miles on 25 October and then 600 miles on 26 OCT back to Virginia!

I had been to Oriskany and FT Stanwix so had had to give a PowerPoint in the hotel room over pizza and beer for that one on Friday night.

Recommended readings:

Saratoga: Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War by Richard M. Ketchum

SARATOGA: A Military History of the Decisive Campaign of the American Revolution by John F. Luzader

WITH MUSKET AND TOMAHAWK: The Saratoga Campaign and the Wilderness War of 1777 by Michael O. Logusz

Hope to have pictures soon!:banana:
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain
Working...
X