No announcement yet.

Switzerland's "deportation initiative"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This initiative doesn't only affect 1st generation immigrants, but 2nd generation immigrants too - i.e. people who were born in Switzerland to two non-citizen parents and have lived their entire life there. Actually existing Swiss law covers these too, something that is often criticized by the left (just like in Germany, where minors have been deported based on similar laws).

Hence the reference to ius sanguinis, which is still going strong in Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      This initiative doesn't only affect 1st generation immigrants, but 2nd generation immigrants too - i.e. people who were born in Switzerland to two non-citizen parents and have lived their entire life there. Actually existing Swiss law covers these too, something that is often criticized by the left (just like in Germany, where minors have been deported based on similar laws).

Hence the reference to ius sanguinis, which is still going strong in Switzerland.
      If countries used deportation for foreign criminals by using Jus Sanguinis over Jus Soli then maybe they would think twice about taking up a criminal profession. ;)

Comment

I think Austria also has something similar, perhaps even tougher rules for citizenship etc...
        Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Ius sanguinis is pretty common actually.

The largest country with ius sanguinis is PR China, probably also with one of the tightest legislations on citizenship. India has very recently switched to ius sanguinis too.

Ius soli in its pure form is almost exclusively used only in the Western Hemisphere. Outside it it's mostly Commonwealth nations that use a combination of ius soli and ius sanguinis, in addition to - notably - France and Germany.

Comment

I think this whole deport after serving the time will make more damage then good, here is a possible situation:

One might make a minor crime for various reasons or situations, life ain't fair, remember? Then the same person facing deportation and a ban for entering Switzerland (which will make a lot harder or even impossible for the same person an entry into Schengen space), will likely make another heavier crimes.

On an extreme side, I guess that it is better in Swiss jail (free food, tv, shower, various rehab programs...) then some people live at home. Being stupid and desperate enough they might gamble getting life sentence in Switzerland then going back home in some underdeveloped country.

Now where is the benefit from this law? Preventing crime not to happen? Sounds like that at first, but I doubt the effects, regardless political connotation.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              I think this whole deport after serving the time will make more damage then good, here is a possible situation:

One might make a minor crime for various reasons or situations, life ain't fair, remember? Then the same person facing deportation and a ban for entering Switzerland (which will make a lot harder or even impossible for the same person an entry into Schengen space), will likely make another heavier crimes.

On an extreme side, I guess that it is better in Swiss jail (free food, tv, shower, various rehab programs...) then some people live at home. Being stupid and desperate enough they might gamble getting life sentence in Switzerland then going back home in some underdeveloped country.

Now where is the benefit from this law? Preventing crime not to happen? Sounds like that at first, but I doubt the effects, regardless political connotation.
              Good points...solved by making jail to deportees as uncomfortable as possible. no TV no recreation. Exercise: 1 hour per day..lock-up. Two meals a day lights out 9 O'Clock. Executions optional

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                no TV no recreation. Exercise: 1 hour per day..lock-up. Two meals a day lights out 9 O'Clock.
                Sounds like the arrest cells in the German military. Except there they also lock up your bed at 6 am so you can't sleep during the day. And the exercise consists of walking to another building to take a shower. With a guard behind you.

Deportation jails tend to be more uncomfortable.

Comment

Ten days ahead of municipal elections in Switzerland the mascot of the right-wing extremist SVP party was kidnapped by anti-fascist left-wing terrorists yesterday.

The 10-year-old dwarf goat "Zottel" was the campaign mascot for both the current 2011 SVP campaign and their 2007 campaign. The terrorists also kidnapped his flatmate "Mimo" along with him.

One of his campaign appearances earlier this year:

Not a joke or prank, serious business.
                  Attached Files

Comment

anti-fascist left-wing terrorists
                    Something is fishy here. Don't you know that "anti-fascist" and "left" don't come together with the word "terrorists" in same sentence?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Something is fishy here. Don't you know that "anti-fascist" and "left" don't come together with the word "terrorists" in same sentence?
                      Whereas Zottle, Mimo and BBQ do

NB. I really do hope they are returned to their rightful owner.

Comment

There were rumours that Zottel had ditched the SVP and joined the Swiss version of Occupy Wallstreet overnight. However only some dogs could be found among the protesters on Parade Square in Zürich yesterday.

Mimo is Zottel's girlfriend btw, despite the male name.

Comment

So now they are filming "Finding Mimo"?

Comment

They probably eloped.

Comment

So now they are filming "Finding Mimo"?
                              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post

Mimo is Zottel's girlfriend btw, despite the male name.
                                Once Mimo finds a rich Alpine Bovidae with his own meadow and ski chalet she'll soon forget Zottel; mark my words. Women! ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X