Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book series which promises to be fascinating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book series which promises to be fascinating.

The book series 'The Indian Navy', Vol's 1 to 3, which are 1. Transition to Triumph 1965-1975 2.Transition to Eminence 1976-1990 3.Transition to Guardianship 1991-2000, promises to be the most fascinating history of any Navy. The series is authored by Vice Admiral G M Hiranandani, of the Indian Navy.
    The Indian Navy is most fascinating to me, because it was always a reasonably strong Navy, and because it is an arm of the Indian Armed Force. Perhaps, the three arms of the Indian Armed force, The Indian Army, The Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force, draw their identity also from each other. The Indian Navy has always been a force mindful of her standing, and her earlier, and perhaps present doctrine of operations was of a defensive nature. I happen to believe, that who defends, prevails. What then, is also fascinating about the Indian Navy? Her ships have been built for her sailors, and the Indian sailor is an enigmatic figure to me. I have met officers of the Indian Navy, but never a sailor who is not an officer. Before the formation of the modern Indian Navy, India did not have a tradition travelling to the deep ocean's perhaps. Which makes me believe, that if one lives near the oceans, then one makes a good sailor.

Originally posted by AdityaMookerjee View Post
    The book series 'The Indian Navy', Vol's 1 to 3, which are 1. Transition to Triumph 1965-1975 2.Transition to Eminence 1976-1990 3.Transition to Guardianship 1991-2000, promises to be the most fascinating history of any Navy. The series is authored by Vice Admiral G M Hiranandani, of the Indian Navy.
    The Indian Navy is most fascinating to me, because it was always a reasonably strong Navy, and because it is an arm of the Indian Armed Force. Perhaps, the three arms of the Indian Armed force, The Indian Army, The Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force, draw their identity also from each other. The Indian Navy has always been a force mindful of her standing, and her earlier, and perhaps present doctrine of operations was of a defensive nature. I happen to believe, that who defends, prevails. What then, is also fascinating about the Indian Navy? Her ships have been built for her sailors, and the Indian sailor is an enigmatic figure to me. I have met officers of the Indian Navy, but never a sailor who is not an officer. Before the formation of the modern Indian Navy, India did not have a tradition travelling to the deep ocean's perhaps. Which makes me believe, that if one lives near the oceans, then one makes a good sailor.
    But India did have an impressive naval tradition in the centuries before the British Imperial period, the Chole Navy was domminent in the region in the middle ages. They surplanted China as the dominant naval power there during this period.

That sounds like an excellent book, I am looking forward to reading it, thank you.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by AdityaMookerjee View Post
      The book series 'The Indian Navy', Vol's 1 to 3, which are 1. Transition to Triumph 1965-1975 2.Transition to Eminence 1976-1990 3.Transition to Guardianship 1991-2000, promises to be the most fascinating history of any Navy. The
      not sure if I'd go that far, since there are some very good books about the world's navys out there... but will be interesting to read never the less...

Comment

Working...
      X