Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
    Preseeeeent Purse!
    I was thinking about that too, I wonder what is in a standard issue JSDF army purse?
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
      well that is what you get fpr looking up names in a language you don't speak. But now you know at least how we feel whenever we read Panzer Tank. *g*
      Is that like saying Tank Tank ?
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

yep

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          I wonder if the Japanese still build their tanks for smaller people (compared to Western tanks). I remember reading that about the early post war Japanese tanks. Its seems like each generation is increasing in average size, at least in the West.
          The Japanese and SoKos are growing taller even more dramatically uniformly, so can't help but think their tank and sub specs are changing as well (what's the story with China?). The Soviets had an overall average height distribution, but still made their tanks for the shorter-end crew (rather made small tanks and put in smaller crews).

Comment

Now it appears they are permitted to use the WW II version of their Military flag with the radiating sun rays.
            Those were Japanese honor guards.
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

well that is what you get fpr looking up names in a language you don't speak. But now you know at least how we feel whenever we read Panzer Tank. *g*
              I thought the word panzer means iron (or steel)...or is it "armor?"

Doesn't "panzerkampfwagen" mean armored fighting vehicle? Or am I taking it too literally?
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I was thinking about that too, I wonder what is in a standard issue JSDF army purse?
                In the IDF the girls don't get purses, but they do get pepper spray...
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

iron would be eisen (as ein Eisenhower, the name, though anglicized meant as much "strikes Iron", like a smith). Steel would be Stahl, but Armor would be would be correct too, depending on the context. When speaking of the armor of a tank (or ship= the word usually used is Panzerung. You can transalte Panzerkampfwagen as armored fighting vehicle, but 'tank combat vehicle' would be more literal, though bad English of course. Panzer is used here as a noun in the word construct. To use it as ab adjective (like armored) it would be gepanzerter (Kampfwagen).

So while it is a little bit complex, it is not like in English the word tank has just one meaning. Then again we should be glad that the south did not win the Civil War, otherwise we would call the Barrels.

Comment

by Tarek Morgen...iron would be eisen (as ein Eisenhower, the name, though anglicized meant as much "strikes Iron", like a smith).
                    When I read "Eisenhower", I think first, "iron" for Eisen and then "hewer" (as in hewers of wood) for hower. While "hewer" is pretty archaic (Biblical?) English, i found it eaiser to think the cognant. Gets me into trouble sometimes.

Then again we should be glad that the south did not win the Civil War, otherwise we would call the Barrels.
                    Yes, I too read and liked that Turtledove series...
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I wonder if the Japanese still build their tanks for smaller people (compared to Western tanks). I remember reading that about the early post war Japanese tanks. Its seems like each generation is increasing in average size, at least in the West.
                      After WW II and the Japanese were allowed to build a Defense Force, their home-built tanks were not very large or armored well enough. So the US helped them out by giving them M-24 Chaffees. We gave a lot of Chaffees to foreign countries with many of them still in service.

The M-24 Chaffee was soon replaced by the M-41 Walker, many of which are still serving in foreign countries but many with engine and gunnery upgrades.

And being a sci-fi fan, I'll never forget the Japanese movie "RODAN" seeing Chaffee's and F-86 Sabre jets with Japanese markings on them.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

So while it is a little bit complex, it is not like in English the word tank has just one meaning. Then again we should be glad that the south did not win the Civil War, otherwise we would call the Barrels.
                        Actually, it was the US who called them barrels first (the Confederates at first called them tanks just like their British allies). Barrels stuck because the US used an armored blitzkrieg in the closing months of the war, causing the barrels moniker to stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                          Actually, it was the US who called them barrels first (the Confederates at first called them tanks just like their British allies). Barrels stuck because the US used an armored blitzkrieg in the closing months of the war, causing the barrels moniker to stick.
                          Yes but that only happened in the second war, which would not have taken place if the South had not won the first ACW...but that does not really belong here *g*

Comment

Actually, "Tank" was a covert name the British used as a covert name for their machines in WW I. The original British design for crossing trenches and barbed wire was called the "Big Wheel". It was designed with a pair of very large steel wheels in front but tests did not turn in favor of them. Winston Churchill had observed the tracked capabilities of the American built Holt Tractor and (as the Naval Minister then) had the Royal Navy build the first vehicles but telling everybody they were building water tanks. The name "Tank" has been used ever since.

That's something for a quiz question, what was the name of the RAF officer (yes, airplane pilot) who was the test driver of the first tank?

According to TM 30-255,the 1941 English-German/German-English dictionary I have, there are about a page and a half of words starting with "Panzer" meaning only armor or armor plate. "Panzerkamphwagen" is merely listed a "Tank", but so is "Panzerwagen" also meaning an armored car. "Panzerschiff" is described as "Pocket Battleship" or "Armored Vessel". "Schlacht" means "Battle" and "Schlachtscchiff" simply means "Battleship".
                            Last edited by RustyBattleship; 26 Oct 10,, 05:30.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              After WW II and the Japanese were allowed to build a Defense Force, their home-built tanks were not very large or armored well enough. So the US helped them out by giving them M-24 Chaffees. We gave a lot of Chaffees to foreign countries with many of them still in service.

The M-24 Chaffee was soon replaced by the M-41 Walker, many of which are still serving in foreign countries but many with engine and gunnery upgrades.

And being a sci-fi fan, I'll never forget the Japanese movie "RODAN" seeing Chaffee's and F-86 Sabre jets with Japanese markings on them.
                              I beleive the tank they built with smaller crewmen in mind was the type 61
                              Type 61 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've had Rodan in my save for later cart area on Amazon for a while - I think I'll go ahead and get it, after hearing about the tanks

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                                Wow! That first photo blew my mind. Of all the Japanese ships that came into LBNSY, they flew only the "Meatball" flag. Now it appears they are permitted to use the WW II version of their Military flag with the radiating sun rays.
                                The Rising sun flag has been the official flag of the JSDF since 1954. The version shown is the Maritime SDF flag (Navy) Differs from the WW2 military flag in that the sun disk is offset from center.

JMSDF(Navy)

Only the JASDF (Air Force) flag does not incorporate the sun rays.

And the JGSDF flag(Army)

See I learned something besides what a pile of salt by a door means in the 4 years I lived in Japan.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X