S&W .460....anybody have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&W .460....anybody have one?

.45 long colt, .454 casull, and .460 in the same cylinder makes it seem like I have to buy it. Does anybody have experience with .460 recoil (and flash haha)? I'm looking at the shorter barrel model. :banana:

Originally posted by whippinyolegs View Post
    .45 long colt, .454 casull, and .460 in the same cylinder makes it seem like I have to buy it. Does anybody have experience with .460 recoil (and flash haha)? I'm looking at the shorter barrel model. :banana:
    Not the .460, but the 500 magnum, 4" barrel. With the flash supresser/compensator, the recoil is not that bad. If I shoot 5 or more rounds one handed, I can feel it for a few days. :smack: If you fire it on a range with other people the range goes quiet, almost instantly, and then you hear someone say "What the H#%% was that?", and they all want to see it. Don't even want to say "Ill show you mine, if you show me yours" :banana:
    CADPIPE

Comment

The super magnum handguns remind me of a 500 HP sports car. Is there a practical use for these beasts or are they just for fun?
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        The super magnum handguns remind me of a 500 HP sports car. Is there a practical use for these beasts or are they just for fun?
        They are adequate for hunting most anything, might even work on a grizzley, but I want a speedloader for it before I give it a try. :gunut:
        CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
          They are adequate for hunting most anything, might even work on a grizzley, but I want a speedloader for it before I give it a try. :gunut:
          I see, I have hunted deer with a handgun and can appreciate the advantage of not carrying a long gun in brush, both hands free and gun safe from dirt and damage in a holster. Thanks for the insight.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            I see, I have hunted deer with a handgun and can appreciate the advantage of not carrying a long gun in brush, both hands free and gun safe from dirt and damage in a holster. Thanks for the insight.
            The only problem is, that with the abundant muzzle flash, if the animal is in the vicinity of your person, you create a wound, and cauterize it at the same time!
            CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
              The only problem is, that with the abundant muzzle flash, if the animal is in the vicinity of your person, you create a wound, and cauterize it at the same time!
              "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've been thinkin about gettin one of these cuz it would be agood match with my 1895GSS.

Comment

The biggest handgun round I would go for is 357 magnum. I simply can't afford to shoot anything bigger.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

If S&W would make a 45/70 on the 500 frame, with the swing out cylinder, that would be sweet, 3" barrel with compensator of course. :banana:
                    Last edited by cadpipe; 30 Oct 10,, 02:28. Reason: corrected inch mark
                    CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      The biggest handgun round I would go for is 357 magnum. I simply can't afford to shoot anything bigger.
                      I have a 357 Magnum, great handgun.. but also have 44 Magnums, in both Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Winchester 94.. makes it nice having the same ammo that can be used in both weapons.. and a 357 Magnum carbine just don't have enough ummph to take down a large deer efficiently..

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
                        I have a 357 Magnum, great handgun.. but also have 44 Magnums, in both Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Winchester 94.. makes it nice having the same ammo that can be used in both weapons.. and a 357 Magnum carbine just don't have enough ummph to take down a large deer efficiently..
                        I've shot a 1894 carbine chambered in 44 mag. It was quite an experience. I'd rather shoot an M1 Garand. I guess the 6.5 lb weight of the carbine is just not enough to dampen the recoil.

I have 2 lever actions chambered in 357 magnum. The best thing is I don't have to stock up on mags for them. I will never forget to pack a mag for them on any shooting trips.

I wonder if anyone will make a lever action carbine for the 460? Or even the 500?
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          I guess the 6.5 lb weight of the carbine is just not enough to dampen the recoil.

I wonder if anyone will make a lever action carbine for the 460? Or even the 500?
                          Sounds like that would make a fine heavy brush carbine for medium size game like deer, maybe a Ruger rotary semi auto?. Perhaps they could make the stocks hollow (in the forearm and shoulder stocks) with a place to put customizable weights to dampen the recoil to suit individul users, like a stack of metal slugs and spacers to keep them stationary, the spacers could be adjustable with a screw and locking ring. They could provide enough made to fit weights for a 9# carbine with all of them inserted, or 6.5# with none of them - just the spacers fully extended. Another approach would be to have extra ammo storage in the stocks to customise weight.

Comment

Working...
                          X