China Pakistan nuclear reactor deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    No Pu bomb has been built yet. At best, they have enough for one bomb which is insufficient for testing.
    Then where do the Pakistanis get the uranium for 100 bombs as they claim to have? unless it was China supplying those materials which is a direct violation of the nuclear treaties China has signed.

Comment

Forgetting your highschool chemistry? Pu is not U.

Comment

I know that Pu is not U. But you can use U to produce Pu. If Pakistan doesn't have Pu, then they are using U. So where are they getting the U from?

Comment

Pakistan has her own deposits. Chinese nuclear trade is carefully monitored by the IAEA. Even a few pounds would be hard to hide from those anal beancounters, not impossible, but very hard. However, that maybe one weapon, 2 at the most. You're talking ~100. No way the Chinese can slip that much through.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            Moreover, China is just starting to build the third nuclear reactor in Pakistan and enacted a similar agreement to the "123" Agreement between US and India.
            There can be no similar '123' agreement between China & Pakistan as China today is part of the NPT (1992) & NSG (2004).

123 allows building reactors as well as fuel provisioning.

The most the Chinese can do is complete Chashma as agreed upon before China joined the NPT & NSG.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              There is evidence that the Pak nuclear program is expanding but I am very hesitant to state that it's going into the Pu field. Pu bombs need testing. There is no ifs about that.
              I agree, but it appears that Pakistan Army is placing its faith on plutonium based warheads for the future. Khushab is fully operational now and is firing up in all cylinders, we will see what the future has in hold for us.

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
              Then where do the Pakistanis get the uranium for 100 bombs as they claim to have? unless it was China supplying those materials which is a direct violation of the nuclear treaties China has signed.
              We have enough deposits of uranium in Pakistan, getting that was no problem. It was the enrichment process that was tricky which took time to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by notorious_eagle View Post
                I agree, but it appears that Pakistan Army is placing its faith on plutonium based warheads for the future. Khushab is fully operational now and is firing up in all cylinders, we will see what the future has in hold for us.
                I've actually found no evidence that the PA has decided on the Pu route. The only suggestion that came around was from Hans Khristensen completely changed his eval from one year to the next and only on the testimony of USN Adm Mullen that Pakistan is expanding her arsenal. Before then, there was no suggestion of Pakistani Pu bombs and even today, there is no official open source US intel that states that Pakistan is looking for Pu bombs. Hans Kristensen is the sole source of that intel and it is based upon his eval with no backing evidence but his own deductions.

Comment

I guess Sir we will know with time what Pakistan Army is planning to do with that plutonium. On a side note, i usually avoid reading accounts of journalists and even American Military Officers because Pakistan Army has a simple policy, talks of our nuclear program/weapons is off limits. Only trusted Officers and Scientists are aware of the details of our nuclear program, secrecy is very tightly maintained. I forgot the name of that Maj General but he was court marshalled i think in 2001 because he shared a tid bit details of the nuclear/missile program during a family wedding.

Comment

But there are things that I do know. You need to test a Pu bomb. No ifs or buts. If you test, you're up sh!t's creek, not even the Chinese will tolerate another test and the sanctions that would be slapped ain't a walk in the park.

A Pu bomb is a status symbol. It is no more effective than a U bomb. And in actual fact, less effective than conventional explosives because of its stigma and invitation to retaliation on a scale Pakistan could not even begin to imagine.

Comment

Did these Chinese really contract dengue ? in which case why not the other workers there. Or is dengue cover for something else ? nuclear exposure.

Over 200 Chinese workers contracted dengue: Sindh Health Minister | Tribune.pk | Aug 31 2019

According to Dr Azra, the Chinese nationals contracted dengue because they did not know what measures to take to protect themselves from the mosquito-borne virus. Although the Sindh health minister did not elaborate on what caused the outbreak, it is understood that nuclear plants require large quantities of fresh water which provide a breeding ground for dengue-carrying mosquitos. Unlike other mosquitos, those that carry the dengue virus lay their eggs on bodies of fresh water.

“Dengue-carrying mosquitos also like to breed in environments with low temperature and high humidity, conditions that are usually experienced after heavy rains or near the beach,” noted Dr Iqbal. “Water accumulated during building construction, something that is happening near Hawke’s Bay, also provides an ideal environment for dengue mosquitos to breed,” he said.
                      hmm...

More than 200 people in Karachi contracted the dengue virus after a heavier than usual monsoon season and curiously enough, they are all Chinese nationals.

“We took the Chinese workers to Agha Khan Labs for testing as soon as we diagnosed their symptoms,” saidn Sindh Dengue Control Programme Manage Dr Iqbal Memon. “We put the workers on dengue treatment immediately after confirming they were suffering from the virus.”

Both the minister and the dengue control head said the infected Chinese workers are now out of any danger. They also pointed out that health department and dengue control teams also educated the Chinese workers on measures they can take to protect themselves from dengue and to treat the virus if any of them contract it in the future.

There are more than 1,000 Chinese nationals working on the nuclear plant being built near Hawke’s Bay.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Sep 19,, 01:18.

Comment

Working...
                      X