Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2030 ad

Plausible?

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Darn right its plausible!! However, I won't be around to see it, so, good luck to the rest of ya' that choose to live on your knees!

Comment

Owe somebody a thousand bucks, and they own you. Owe somebody a trillion bucks, you pwn them.

edit: Or at least there's some mutual owning going on, or something...anyway, until China is less dependent on our buying power, no way. Their growth depends on our growth.
      Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 22 Oct 10,, 04:16.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Scare tactics. The majority of the Debt is owned by the US Government and the public. Foreign investments are somewhere around 35%.

With Japan being the biggest holder.

Now if the video was in Japanese

Comment

Plausible?

Nah, that IPAD clone will be hopelessly outdated by then.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Why do great national fail? The prof asked..... but all the examples were empires (Greece, Rome, GB and USA) hmmmmm.

Imperial overstretch -- Paul Kennedy.

Not going to happened, folks were say'in the same in the 1980s, just replace China with Japan and "forward" 20 years.
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
              Darn right its plausible!! However, I won't be around to see it, so, good luck to the rest of ya' that choose to live on your knees!
              7th, not even close. For anywhere where this video comes close, the US must be on par with Mexico 20 years ago today. That obviously is false. For this prof to speak of which in 2030, it means that China made stupid investements and that there would be only 6 kids who can attend the class because the parents spent money on a people who cannot return the debt.

Comment

I'll still be in Israel hopefully, with our relatively strong economy. Whether Israel itself exists in 20 years is a completely different question, though...
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Scare tactics. The majority of the Debt is owned by the US Government and the public. Foreign investments are somewhere around 35%.
                  Agree, its private debt that's the biggest and dwarf's public debt. And that only means ppl go broke if they can't repay and not the country.

Comment

it's a damn good ad in terms of the way it was shot. the premise, not so much...
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

"Turning their back on the principles" Huh?? don't think China today is what Mao has envisioned
                      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Sir,you are entitled to disagree,but I once heard a saying on Mao:''what's 100 million lives compared to restoring China as a great power''. I'll try to find out who said it
                        Those who know don't speak
                        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

was referring to Mao's economic policy -- The Chinese economy today is not what Mao was targeting for.

Not sure I understand what are you trying to say, economic growth and lives is not an one-to-one trade off.

Comment

Not to nitpick, but Mao's China was hardly a "great nation". And the premise of the ad is about why "great nations fell".

I'm a great admirer of Mao's achievement in some, but he's a horrible nation builder. Is China a great nation now? Far from it, but it's at least on the right direction.

Comment

He said a lot crazy things when he's senile. Nobody thinks like him now and nobody wants to live in Mao's era in China now.

Deng said Mao was 70% good, 30% bad. Too early to tell, as GWB would tell you.

Comment

Working...
                              X