Renamed Streets in Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renamed Streets in Berlin

Are there any concrete plans to get rid of these dreadful communist-era street names and change them back to what they originally were?

e.g.:
    Karl-Liebknecht-Straße back to Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße
    Karl-Marx-Allee back to Große Frankfurter Straße
    Straße des 17. Juni back to Charlottenburger Chaussee
    Straße der Pariser Kommune back to Fruchtstraße

I would have thought that would have been one of the first things they did after they ran the communist criminals out.

Name me one good reason why to rename for example the Straße des 17. Juni and how it is a dreadful name.

Comment

Was Straße des 17. Juni named to support those who were protesting the regime or by the regime to commerate the suppression of the uprising?

Comment

Let's see:

The street is in West-Berlin
        Since 61 (the year the wall was build) you can find the following two sentences on a memorial in the road:
        "In Memory of the victims of the red dictatorships" & "You Freedom is our mission"

make a guess.

(Until the Reunification the 17 Juni was also the national holiday of West-Germany in memory of the uprising..)

Comment

Being an a$$ is not necessary.

I asked a question.

The article I read mentioned street names changed during the Communist era, sans my editorializing. It did not say why they were changed, but that street was in with a few others, some of which I listed.

Here is a clue. I don't live in Berlin, nor Germany.

To use your tone, give me one good reason why a street should be named for Karl Marx?

Comment

Originally posted by Station 22 View Post

To use your tone, give me one good reason why a street should be named for Karl Marx?
            Ummm maybe because he is one of the most famous philosophers in the world, whose theories in various forms followed by millions of people shaped and influenced much of the 20th century and continue to influence us? And he was german?

Comment

I asked a question.
              You called a memorial to the dead of the 17. Juni 1953 dreadful.

The article I read mentioned street names changed during the Communist era, sans my editorializing. It did not say why they were changed, but that street was in with a few others, some of which I listed.
              So you did not know where the Street is (West-Berlin), what is is named after (an Uprising against the GDR-Regime and the Sovit Union), who named (The Senat of West-Berlin) or who it honored (the slain and persecuted of that day), yet you did feel the need to call for its name to be changed back?

There is not much wrong with not knowing about the 17 June, there is something wrong with calling for the abolishment of a memorial without even spending 5 seconds on trying to find out what it is about. Even after getting a pretty big hint you apparrantly did not feel the need to invest 2 minutes into the matter, otherwise you would not have made your second post.

Comment

Karl-Liebknecht-Straße back to Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße
                The name of a staunch antimilitarist is a far better choice than that of any *spit* feudalist.

As for Karl Marx, there's at least on the order of 150-200 streets named after him in Germany. Including several dozen in West Germany, e.g. in Dortmund, Bayreuth, Trier (of course), Hamm...

As for the Paris Commune, read up on it. And on how it's treated in France too, because the fighters of the Commune are considered heroes there. Btw, Fruchtstraße wasn't the original name of that street either - it was "Bullenwinkel" pre-1820.

Comment

Working...
                X