Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which religious/sacred/holy Text & Books have you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which religious/sacred/holy Text & Books have you read?

Not seldom are pieces or references of the Bible or Qur'an and other texts used in Discussions here (or pretty much everywhere else), so I wondered who has actually ever picked about those things and read them from start to finish.

I'll most likely have forgotten several important texts so feel free to mention them. Some I left out on purpose like old text refering to things like the nordic or greek mythology (I dare to assume that those don't really have that many actual followers..at least if you don't count head bangers) or things like the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    Bible (Christianity)
    21.21%
    Standard works (Latter day Saints)
    6.06%
    Four Books and Five Classics (Confucianism )
    3.03%
    Kitáb-i-Aqdas (Bahá'í Faith)
    3.03%
    Tanakth (Judaism)
    15.15%
    Talmund (Judaism)
    9.09%
    Vedas & Hindd texts
    3.03%
    Qu'ran (Islam)
    15.15%
    Hadith (Islam)
    9.09%
    Satanic Bible (LaVeyan)
    6.06%
    Others:
    9.09%

Have read somewhat into several "beliefs", including Zoroastrianism, Islam, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; also have some works on Hinduism and Buddhism, including the Buddhist Scriptures, the Bahgavad-Gita "As It Is" by his Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, and "On The Bhagavad-Gita" by Maharishi Mahesh Yoga (the guy who hung out with the Beatles back in the '70's). My copy of The Glorious Qur'an was translated by Muhammad M. Pickthall; I am told the true meaning of the Qur'an cannot be perceived unless it is read in the original language. Also have several versions of the Bible (Old Testament & New Testament), including the New King James version and the "Catholic" version. So, I haven't COMPLETELY read any particular religious text, just a smattering of many different religious texts.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

From front to back, I've read the Tanakh, KJV New Testament, Quran and Hadith. I've dabbled quite a lot in Talmud, but it takes approximately 7 and a half years to finish if you study a page a day.

Out of all of that, I only remember the Tanakh, since I've read it the most times and because of my Jewish upbringing
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I am a Theosophist, my Grandmother got me started, I have been reading different religious texts for over 40 yrs. It has helped me understand how little I really understand. What I have noticed is that I can work well with International coworkers when others around me seem to struggle, perhaps because I have a rudementary understanding about other religious behaviours, backgrounds and beliefs.

here is a helpful site - the DVD is worth it if you are serious about studying this
        http://www.sacred-texts.com/
        Last edited by USSWisconsin; 14 Oct 10,, 15:19.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I was raised in a somewhat religious Catholic family (though my ancestry is actually primarily Protestant) and so I've read the Bible pretty extensively. It's worth noting though that that's a bit rare with Catholics, as there's far more emphasis in listening to the interpratations given by the Church itself and our wider doctrine over forming your own opinions, which is closer to Protestant values. My mother is partially Jewish also, so I've a very rudimentary knowledge of Jewish texts and faith - we had many books round the house on it, as she herself was interested in that part of her heritage, but I never gave them the depth of reading she did.

Beyond that in college I studied old Celtic Paganism during my history module - it has no real accounts or written texts from the period itself (you need to go Roman or use later accounts for descriptions) but they've left tons of art and a worldview can be subtracted from them that's both disturbing and somewhat beautiful. They blended and blurred the lines between gods, mythology and spiritualism in very unusual ways.
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

None. Raised with no influence of religion; aside from a leaning towards Zen Buddhism, which is arguably more a philosophy than a religion. I suppose I should---the Quran and the Torah interest me, in particular--but I have no interest in reading the Bible.

Comment

Working...
            X