pay to keep in commison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay to keep in commison

i remember around the time of the first iraq war the leader of the united arab emirates were so impressed with the damage they did they offered to keep the uss missouri and the uss wisconsin in commision as long as they spent 6 months cruzing the gulf, i cant find the article on it, am i crazy ?? i figured this board would be in the know on this

IMO, Cant say I have ever heard this before about Missouri or Whiskey during their last tours. IMO, there are far too many tangible reasons to believe this didnt happen at all.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Oct 10,, 22:44.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Maybe they should open the door for corperate sponsorship! Just had a funny thought of seeing a 'Budweiser Battleship' attending the New York new years eve celebrations. Or a blue and silver painted Iowa class 'RedBull' battleship. The way things are these days it would not surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by THOMAS81Z View Post
        i remember around the time of the first iraq war the leader of the united arab emirates were so impressed with the damage they did they offered to keep the uss missouri and the uss wisconsin in commision as long as they spent 6 months cruzing the gulf, i cant find the article on it, am i crazy ?? i figured this board would be in the know on this
        If they really wanted a battleship and were ready to pay, I'll bet someone would build them one, maybe Russia - I don't beleive the USN provides patrol services for payment like that.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Heh. Why not? Might get us outta debt. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Pakmiran View Post
            Heh. Why not? Might get us outta debt. :D
            Some things are just not for sale. The US military is one of them.

Comment

yea i know its a true story but i cant find a link, the navy declined because of staffing on the ships , i wish i could remember where i read it but i will keep looking and i cant believe nobody on the board saw it

Comment

Originally posted by THOMAS81Z View Post
                yea i know its a true story but i cant find a link, the navy declined because of staffing on the ships , i wish i could remember where i read it but i will keep looking and i cant believe nobody on the board saw it
                The USN would not have declined over manpower issues. They would have declined over several issues that no media no matter how good would be privy too and thats why you will find no link because they have no story behind the link. There are reasons far beyond the one that you state above that make this not even a consideration to the USN. Further, they are not for sale or rent by any nation or groups of nations no matter how much they would offer,in as much as any other military service of America. The waters are considered international waters under maritime law and therefore are patrolled.

Comment

I have to agree with Dreadnought, I would like to see an official US gov't statement to convince me the USN was considering this. The Saudi's may have asked, but I don't believe the USN would have said yes. Perhaps a Saudi official said this jokingly? Possibly intending it as a compliment.

OTOH, if the Saudi's really wanted a battleship, considering it would be primarily for shore bombardment, then a large monitor - which would cost far less than a real battleship, could be built - perhaps on a tanker sized hull (with greatly deduced draft) to make it more intimidating. Long range 155mm guns would probably be enough, but if they really wanted to they could build 16” guns for it. Keep in mind that the armor of a battleship would not be necessary, nor would the speed or many of the other BB systems - also, it wouldn't need to be particularly seagoing.
                  Last edited by USSWisconsin; 18 Oct 10,, 16:51.
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

there is a story behind it , im sure it was declined but it was offered non the less , im just looking for the qoute to back it up

Comment

Wow.. Imagine a Blackwater type PMC getting a battleship and working for hire. I'm kidding of course. But is it really much crazier than some of the things we've seen PMC's do?

Comment

I'm certain there is some sort of law limiting just how much firepower a PMC can actually have, and if there isn't a law, there should be. Second Amendment is nice, but there's a limit...
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          I'm certain there is some sort of law limiting just how much firepower a PMC can actually have, and if there isn't a law, there should be. Second Amendment is nice, but there's a limit...
                          thermonuclear weapons are off limits.. but anything else goes..

Comment

Working...
                          X