Congratulations to Chile!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Chile!

Congratulations on the successful rescue of the trapped miners. The mission is almost completed. All the miners seem to be in good shape.

:cheers:
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

The drill they've been using was built by an Irish company relatively near me, in Clare - I think there's no better use on Earth for it right now. A great story about human ingenuity and the thirst for survival. It must be pretty surreal to be 'home' after so long underground, I noticed the sunglasses they all had on, things like the light must seem almost supernatural. It was great to see them reunited with their families as well, definitely a feel good story for the la población de Chile, and indeed the whole world, to enjoy in pretty hard times.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

All the miners and all the rescuers safely out. Absolutely astonishingly well done.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

A very heartwarming story. This is the second story about cheating death I've heard from Chile, the other being about the rugby players in the 70s, surviving on a remote mountaintop with no food...

Cpl of things that got me during the rescue, the intensely patriotic nature of it all, the Chilean flag was everywhere wasn't it. And the unbelievable closeness the President, his wife & the Mining minister had with the ppl concerned. Hugs all around, when's the last time you saw a leader do that with their citizens and many times he's the first person after the doctors to welcome them back. It just creates this impression of a close knit country.

In an interview with the President, he said ppl will have a much better impression of Chile now that the rescue was successful.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Oct 10,, 07:29.

Comment

congrats to chile indeed. amazing accomplishment.

although man, the miners' lives are going to be insane, between the publicity, the money, and their internal demons which they will face...
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            A very heartwarming story. This is the second story about cheating death I've heard from Chile, the other being about the rugby players in the 70s, surviving on a remote mountaintop with no food...

Cpl of things that got me during the rescue, the intensely patriotic nature of it all, the Chilean flag was everywhere wasn't it. And the unbelievable closeness the President, his wife & the Mining minister had with the ppl concerned. Hugs all around, when's the last time you saw a leader do that with their citizens and many times he's the first person after the doctors to welcome them back. It just creates this impression of a close knit country.

In an interview with the President, he said ppl will have a much better impression of Chile now that the rescue was successful.

It was a World wide media hotpot and El Presidente would have been a fool not to take full advantage of it...and who is to blame him. The rescue was indeed an excellent effort and all are to be congratulated...BRAVO!! Let's hope the rescued can go on to make a full recovery and make a hat full of money writing their stories. ;)

Comment

The stories will certainly be interesting, but will there be 33 versions

They went in as miners and came out as international celebrities.

Comment

Well done to all involved.
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Great story.
                  but will there be 33 versions
                  supposely they have agreed to split all finiacial benefits evenly, guess they had a long time to figure it out. I wonder if they realised how big the story was internationally while they were down there.
                  On the wider subject, with any luck, the whole thing will raise awareness about the lack of safety in the mining industry in many countries.

Comment

Working...
                  X