No announcement yet.

New Iranian FAV and 7.62 Gatling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nahh, I dont think they would be that stupid. There would be a worldwide condemnation and no doubt riots if they used one of those on protestors.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
      Jesse has them.

Yeah, but only Arnie can really fire the thing!

BTW, trivia: this was actually the exact same gun (prop) used in both movies, but the stocks were changed for T2 from an M60-style stock (Jesse's) to a "chainsaw" type carry handle (Arnie's; notice how both actors are holding the gun differently).
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Jesse has them.

Two different US governors, same chain gun, wow, just wow. :gunut:
        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          Nahh, I dont think they would be that stupid. There would be a worldwide condemnation and no doubt riots if they used one of those on protestors.
          What if the protestors manage to turn one of those things on the regime? Imagine the number a 7.62 Gatling would do on a Basiji base.

Comment

I'd hate to even think what would happen. No human being no matter how bad would deserve such a thing.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Maybe the idea is a rapidly-deployable light AA weapon. Driven as quickly as the frame would allow to an active location such as the refueling points during the Iraq invasion, the buggy stops, and perhaps lateral stabilizers are extended. A camo-net is tossed over most of it. Anything thin-skinned (including hovering chinooks, blackhawks, even the Apache) would be fair game. The drivers assist the gunner.

But overall, I've never quite understood why these armed vehicles have seen iterations from so many countries. Maybe there is a romance associated with their use in WW2 Africa - The famous SAS picture:

Comment

I'm not trying to look down on Iranian defense industry, this funny looking gun & setup just does not make any sense what so ever. May be it is intended to be shown off during military parades which happen quite often in streets of Tehran.
                Now that you mention it, it does look like a vehicle fitted out for "internal security" work. The short wheelbase and narrow track are ideal for navigating the tight streets of a major urban area. Actually, I think a 7.62mm GPMG would work just fine for a small vehicle like this.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post

But overall, I've never quite understood why these armed vehicles have seen iterations from so many countries. Maybe there is a romance associated with their use in WW2 Africa - The famous SAS picture
                  I believe the reason is the same one that applied back during WWII when they were first adopted. For long range recognisance behind enemy lines you wanted a tough, mechanically reliable vehicle that can carry a small team of men over long distances preferably with a low visibility silhouette. Light weight is also good as you can't call for a tow truck if you get bogged. Because they were working "alone" i.e. unsupported they also needed good all round vision and the ability to have rapid access and egress from the vehicle i.e. for fast for hit and run attacks and in the case of ambush. You then added as much firepower as you can without slowing you down to much so that you stood some chance in a fire fight if engaged and had a degree of fire support available if you were working away from the vehicle.

All of the above pretty much rules out any kind of armoured vehicle or large truck.
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Working...
                  X