• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by griftadan
    gamma emmisions dont have mass
    How though? E=mc2 ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Sombra
      How though? E=mc2 ;)
      Just because something can be converted into matter doesn't mean it has mass. Light in all it's forms is massless.

Comment

How though? E=mc2 ;)
        well, it can be one of two things, energy or mass, or something in between. gamma particles are like photons, all energy. i wasnt actually aware that they travelled faster than the speed of light, so im not sure. i just assumed they all travelled the same

the point was that we couldnt build a manageble space craft that went the speed of light, as it is all mass, and as something that has mass aproaches the speed of light its increasingly turned to energy
        "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

New model 'permits time travel'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4097258.stm
          When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

All electromagnetic radiation has no mass but does have momentum. Those of you "at Cern" may possibly do well to consider that.

One of my old chums still works there. PHD researching the modal variant on the mass of the Higgs boson. Well, a few years back. I would imagine the beam dump is still same old ...
            Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

into the future, yes
              back in time, no

Comment

Originally posted by huh_what
                into the future, yes
                back in time, no
                But aren't those "relative?"

Your future is someone else's past...
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
                  Just because something can be converted into matter doesn't mean it has mass. Light in all it's forms is massless.
                  Leader have you ever seen these little gadgets like a mill working on the basis of impacts of photons to turn?

If photons have an impuls they have a corresponding mass.

Comment

Leader have you ever seen these little gadgets like a mill working on the basis of impacts of photons to turn?

If photons have an impuls they have a corresponding mass.
                    No they don't.

Photons are massless. Much like Scottie, you canna change the laws of physics.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                      But aren't those "relative?"

Your future is someone else's past...
                      You can't go back. Its not like in the movies where you will get to see yourself in the future, you are not visiting the future, you are speeding up how time reacts on you, and only you, or whoever travelling with you.

Comment

plus, time travel ito the future is being done all around you- at a rate of one second per second. Of course, it goes slower when you're bored.

Comment

On the photons and mass thing.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...oton_mass.html

Not sure if it really clarifies the matter, but it does seem to give the current most popular opinion among scientists. Note, I said "most popular." I don't have the math for this sort of thing, so I can't say anything with authority, but it seems strange that something without mass can have momentum, i.e. "light sails."
                          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

can we say that gravity pulls energy instead of mass?
                            since e =mc^2, mass is a form of energy, and gravitational pull works on the energy that any particle has.

Comment

As I understand it, gravity doesn't "pull" on anything. Rather it actually "bends" space-time, so that things moving through space are affected indirectly by the warping of space. I have a feeling, though, that eventually the warping of space-time and the exchange of carrier particles like photons in the other basic forces will be found to be different ways of looking at the same thing. Or not; I really don't know.
                              I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

How do these quantum laws tell you what can and cannot happen when you travel back in time when no one has ever done it to know what happens?

Comment

Working...
                                X