F/A-18 Super Hornet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    But that was made available with less jobs for the crew - peace time and no imminent threat from a big adversary around.

If there is a need for increase to let's say 75 planes, what's the estimated time to board them? Altogether with the needed logistical reqs of course.
    Are you talking all ships or the ability to drop 75 planes on deck for a deployment?

For short duration, there is the "Spare" Carrier Air wing from the ships that are in the yard. There is also all the Marine F-18 squadrons that are not in the Carrier rotation that could be pulled.

Not sure if the Navy has the air frames to outfit all the carriers with that number of planes at once.

A carrier with 40-50 F-18s has more combat capability than 2-3 of the old carrier air groups.

As far as logistics is concerned. The bomb magazines still carry the same amount as when they embarked 90 planes. Same with fuel. Logistics will be easier because all the aircraft use the same(for the most part) spares.

Comment

But that was made available with less jobs for the crew - peace time and no imminent threat from a big adversary around.

If there is a need for increase to let's say 75 planes, what's the estimated time to board them? Altogether with the needed logistical reqs of course.
      They could always board while the ship is underway, too; it's not necessary to have all of the aircraft on-board when the ship leaves port (in fact, they rarely DO have all of their A/C on board when they leave port; there's always one or two squadrons that catch up to the ship while it's at sea) .
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Gunny, Stitch,

My question was if the situation arrives and there is a need for let's say 3 decks with 75 planes (not all, but not a single one), are there spare frames to fit them and in what time frame.

I think I have the picture. Thank you both.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Gunny, Stitch,

My question was if the situation arrives and there is a need for let's say 3 decks with 75 planes (not all, but not a single one), are there spare frames to fit them and in what time frame.

I think I have the picture. Thank you both.
          There are currently 10-11 carrier air wings plus USMC squadrons so yes the US could surge 3-5 carriers at theoretical max air frame capacity.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
            There are currently 10-11 carrier air wings plus USMC squadrons so yes the US could surge 3-5 carriers at theoretical max air frame capacity.
            There are currently 10 carrier air wings. With the retirement of the USS Enterprise there are currently 10 carriers. But as at least one carrier is always in the refueling and complex overhaul phase, at least one carrier air wing will always be unassigned to a carrier. There's also the USMC hornet squadrons not assigned to other carrier air wings you mentioned, and a naval reserve wing now called the tactical support wing with two more hornet squadrons attached. So there is surge capability available, the logistic of making it happen are unaware to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven Jaime View Post
              Ahh, so how was it like fighting the C/D Hornets while flying the F-15C?
              I'm still catching up on the pages of conversation, since I've been out of town for a bit. But from the AWACS perspective, having controlled both aircraft types against each other several times, the F-15C holds the advantage but the Super Hornet is good enough to take the advantage if the Eagle driver (or the AWACS controller) screws up the slightest thing.

Edit: Well, the past 5 pages were interesting. lol
              Last edited by Jimmy; 21 Jun 13,, 03:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                I'm still catching up on the pages of conversation, since I've been out of town for a bit. But from the AWACS perspective, having controlled both aircraft types against each other several times, the F-15C holds the advantage but the Super Hornet is good enough to take the advantage if the Eagle driver (or the AWACS controller) screws up the slightest thing.

Edit: Well, the past 5 pages were interesting. lol
                :hug:

Comment

• Going back to the earlier posts about about surging carriers, are all Marine pilots carrier qualified?

Comment

• Yes.

Marines are trained Naval Aviators.
                    Marine Squadrons are in the CVW rotation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Yes.

GG, how do the Harrier aviators stay current on carrier quals?
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yes.

Are the pilots in the F/A-18D night attack sqaudrons carrier qualified? I don't think those jets ever deploy to carriers do they? Only the A+/C squadrons.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          GG, how do the Harrier aviators stay current on carrier quals?
                          They are Vert landing not trap. They maintain their certification on the LHDs

Comment

They are Vert landing not trap. They maintain their certification on the LHDs
                            Got it...I didn't know if they cross-trained on Hornets to be certified for CATOBAR as well.
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
                              Are the pilots in the F/A-18D night attack squadrons carrier qualified? I don't think those jets ever deploy to carriers do they? Only the A+/C squadrons.
                              Depends on what you mean. Yes the pilots are qualified to land on carriers. But, just like navy squadrons that are not in the work up/deployment phase of the training cycle, their "certification" is not current.

During the work-up phase of a CSG deployment all pilots update their certification. It requires a certain number of traps both day and night.

When the pilots go to a 18A or C squadron that is in the deployment cycle they will renew their certification like the rest of the squadron.

On the ground side, its like saying that an Infantry Battalion is capable of doing the various SOC skill set. (TRAP. NEO...). Its a true statement but an individual Bn doesn't maintain their certification unless they are deploying.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                Got it...I didn't know if they cross-trained on Hornets to be certified for CATOBAR as well.
                                They got CATOBAR certified when they earned their wings. But once they moved to the dark side its not needed.

If they transition to a 18 squadron they will have to get the check in the box again

Comment

Working...
                                X