Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognition ....

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    The 119 class are post war modified Fletchers transferred to the West German navy between 1958 and 1960.
    They were:
    Z1 former USS Anthony DD 515,
    Z2 former USS Ringgold DD 500,
    Z3 former USS Wadsworth DD 516 ,
    Z4 former USS Claxton DD 571
    Z5 former USS Dyson DD 572
    Z6 former USS Charles Ausburne DD 570 Burkes flagship with DesRon 23 and the "Little Beavers"

All early round bridge ships but so you would still need the shapeways bridge and mast but the aft superstructure would be closer to what you are building

(not my build pic taken from the web)

[ATTACH]44274[/ATTACH]
    That model has so much modification from the chiseled looks of an original square bridge Fletcher, that I get lost.... thank goodness for the visit to "The Sullivans".... I can follow some of the smaller changes to the German / USA DD shown in the photo.

Comment

• .. the many faces of the Fletchers .....

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
      That model has so much modification from the chiseled looks of an original square bridge Fletcher, that I get lost.... thank goodness for the visit to "The Sullivans".... I can follow some of the smaller changes to the German / USA DD shown in the photo.
      A series of photos from various Fletcher DD's over the years...
      Attached Files

Comment

• BP,

Very nice photos, indeed!

Hank

Comment

• Fletcher DD photos....

More Fletcher photos ..
          Attached Files

Comment

• USS Kidd - fly by....

The USS Kidd Museum recently posted this photo of a Fletcher Class DD resting on its keel blocks as the Mississippi River flows quietly along towards the Gulf....
            Attached Files

Comment

• BP,

That's a very nice shot of KIDD! Thanks for sharing. Also, the other two pics of FLETCHER details quite interesting.

Hank

Comment

• Baton Rogue ...

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
                BP,

That's a very nice shot of KIDD! Thanks for sharing. Also, the other two pics of FLETCHER details quite interesting.

Hank
                The USS Kidd has the best location for maintaining a Fletcher DD in my opinion.
                Fresh water environment, abrasive slit to polish marine growth, dolphin mounting to rise and fall with the River allowing twice a year access to the hull, i.e. built in dry dock, ready volunteer group with extensive mechanical and heavy lift resources. "If only all museum ships had this support" ???
                Attached Files

Comment

• Agreed!

I think the Historic Navy is going to be reduced in the next decade or so due to the continual lack of understanding and willingness to spend the money to maintain these ships the way they need to be maintained (i.e. - TEXAS, NORTH CAROLINA, OLYMPIA). At least NEW JERSEY is located with the ebb and flow of the Delaware; that can't be said for WISCONSIN. Of course, whether or not the individual governing entities do requisite periodic drydocking & upkeep is another story.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Hank

Comment

• Break .....

HMCNB - Halifax.... ????

Well there I was minding my own business when the phone rang with the offer to fly right seat to Halifax, NS.....
                    So I grabbed the "pre-Packed" Ready "6" bag and landed in Halifax with two days to tour a part of Canada that is new to me.
                    And guess what I spied... ??? HMCN ships tied up at dockside. The challenge begins to capture some photos.... stand by for "news"
                    Planning to purchase tickets to the maritime museum, too

Comment

• Good stuff!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• The report ...

Just got finished opening the mail and enjoying a hot shower after a jam packed two days in Halifax, N.S.
                        In fact the trip was extended 24-hours due to faulty electronics in navigation system.

But the good stuff about this update was the chance to visit the RCN base at Halifax.
                        I'll post a photo of my first attempt to gain entry to the naval base as a "walk up"; the attached picture gives you a hint of my success ....
                        Attached Files

Comment

• If at first you don't succeed ...

Just got finished opening the mail and enjoying a hot shower after a jam packed two days in Halifax, N.S.
                          In fact the trip was extended 24-hours due to faulty electronics in navigation system.

But the good stuff about this update was the chance to visit the RCN base at Halifax.
                          I'll post a photo of my first attempt to gain entry to the naval base as a "walk up"; the attached picture gives you a hint of my success ....

So walking in through the front gate of RCN Atlantic fleet @ Halifax proved to be a "no go".... thus I had to seek an alternate method to get close to the ships in dock..... and then I spied a means of travel to achieve my goal.....
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by blidgepump; 20 Aug 17,, 18:23.

Comment

• and success....

So walking in through the front gate of RCN Atlantic fleet @ Halifax proved to be a "no go".... thus I had to seek an alternate method to get close to the ships in dock..... and then I spied a means of travel to achieve my goal.....
                            "and before me was the RCN fleet docked at Halifax..."
                            First ship .... HMCS Toronto (FFH 333) a Halifax-class frigate.. note the "barber pole red stripe" on the forward stack made famous by the WWII Atlantic Convoy ships and the Red Maple Leaf on the aft stack identifying this vessel as RCN.

The Toronto is a 5100 Ton Frigate more than double a Fletcher Class-DD by comparison and powered by to 2 × LM2500 gas turbines. NOte the "painters raft at the stern on the starboard side... a double decker.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by blidgepump; 21 Aug 17,, 12:30.

Comment

• HMCS St John's # 340

Before you think to yourself... it's another RCN Frigate, the MacDonald Bridge in the background is the point of interest in this photo.
                              The bridge was raised 20 feet to allow taller ships to transit up river. No small feet for 115 million dollars and the work was performed only at night to reduce congestion...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by blidgepump; 21 Aug 17,, 03:57.

Comment

• Test ship ...

HMCS Fredericton is a Halifax-class frigate that has served in the Canadian Forces since 1994. Fredericton is the eighth ship in her class .... In April it was announced that Fredericton would be one of the test ships for the Royal Canadian Navy's planned reduced crew size trials...
                                The recital our resident 0-6 ( deceased ) always mentioned the cost of manpower aboard a ship, both active duty and retirement costs. Appears the RCN is seeking operational cost relief for the Halifax Class Frigates, too.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X