No announcement yet.

Destroyers - Fletcher Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for sharing that photo! Any idea on the time frame on when it was taken? If it's early 1950's, the second person from the left looks similar to my father, but I can't be 100% sure.

Comment

• Cic ....

Originally posted by elc32955 View Post
      Thanks for sharing that photo! Any idea on the time frame on when it was taken? If it's early 1950's, the second person from the left looks similar to my father, but I can't be 100% sure.
      Elc that photo is the one displayed inside the museum building [Baton Rouge] next to the "The Kidd".
      There is no date or tags with photo so I can't offer a date.

Comment

• the picture ...

Elc here is the illustration from the USS Kidd museum that had the photo with the CIC and other stations ....
        If you can add any background.. please do!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Video Saturday ......

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
          Elc here is the illustration from the USS Kidd museum that had the photo with the CIC and other stations ....
          If you can add any background.. please do!
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/1565...59538096408192

Comment

• I'll have to do some digging. I know I have copies of a few official Navy photographs from the very early 50's taken during the Kidd reactivation, if I can locate them I'll scan them & post. Thanks for the excellent info & pics!

Eric

Comment

• Photos ...

Originally posted by elc32955 View Post
              I'll have to do some digging. I know I have copies of a few official Navy photographs from the very early 50's taken during the Kidd reactivation, if I can locate them I'll scan them & post. Thanks for the excellent info & pics!

Eric
              Eric,
              The Destroyer thread welcomes all photos of the Fletcher's and other relative posts which could be of interest to our followers .... guns, arms..... even torpedoes ....
              Attached Files
              Last edited by blidgepump; 06 Apr 16,, 22:32.

Comment

• .... got your attention ....

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                Eric,
                The Destroyer thread welcomes all photos of the Fletcher's and other relative posts which could be of interest to our followers ....

http://l.facebook.com/?u=http%3A%2F%...4HkOp3JDFeILCD

Back to regular programming and a great recital from a Fletcher-DD sailor - USS Melvin .... enjoy!

Commander Barry K. Atkins commanded the destroyer USS Melvin (DD-680) that sank the Japanese battleship Fuso in the historic Battle of Surigao Strait during World War II in October 1944. Atkins won the Navy Cross "For extraordinary heroism... in action against major units of the enemy Japanese Fleet .... which contributed materially to the decisive defeat of enemy forces". His heroism in what is believed by historians to be the only instance in the war of a destroyer sinking a battleship. Melvin later operated with fast carrier forces attacking the Japanese home islands and supporting the Okinawa campaign. She also participated in the last surface action of the war, a sweep through the Kuriles and bombardment of Paramashiro Wan just days before the war ended. Awarded the Bronze Star, his citation reads, in part, "For heroic achievement, as Commanding Officer .... in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Kyushu and Okinawa area from 14 March to 14 May 1945. Going to the aid of a badly damaged destroyer on 29 April 1945, CDR Atkins displayed excellent seamanship by maneuvering his ship alongside the stricken vessel in the face of burning and exploding ammunition to fight the fires and, after they were extinguished, remained alongside to provide electrical power and water to enable the ship to regain power .........." He also won the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and many other ribbons and commendations retiring as an Admiral in 1959. He died in Richmond, Virginia on November 15, 2005 and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors
                Attached Files
                Last edited by blidgepump; 06 Apr 16,, 20:29.

Comment

• Can you find the Fletcher's ? .....

This is the mothball fleet. Tied up on the far south end of 32nd St. National City end of the base!
                  Can you find the Fletcher's tied up in a row?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Reserve fleet photo ...

More Fletcher - DD's in mothballs.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Is that a Gearing 2nd ship in from the foreground?

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                        Is that a Gearing 2nd ship in from the foreground?
                        Either a Gearing or a Sumner

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                          This is the mothball fleet. Tied up on the far south end of 32nd St. National City end of the base!
                          Can you find the Fletcher's tied up in a row?
                          When was this taken?

Awesome photo.

What is the source?
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Some of the sites that I can recall ...

https://www.johnfry.com/pages/PhotoSanDiego005.html

http://mighty90.com/The_Mothball_Navy.html

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/210472982556710765/

A problem that I recently found is that a website may be here today and vanish tomorrow.... ( $$$$ issue or lack of an administrator ??)
                            So the collecting of photos is often hard to inventory and later reference.... anyone else experience this issue?

Comment

• Pick your color and pattern ....

For the really true hard core Fletcher - DD historians!

Note the MS scheme is not always displayed on a Fletcher-Class DD for the purpose of illustration.

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/fletcher_class.htm

Comment

• Fletcher wheel ....

The WNY has a mock up of a Fletcher- DD bridge allowing visitors to get the confining feel of standing watch on the bridge.
                                As this photograph shows many hands have been laid on the wheel.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X