No announcement yet.

Destroyers - Fletcher Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then we shall go topside and get some frsh air to continue the tour...

[QUOTE=Ytlas;763434]
    Originally posted by blidgepump View Post

At the late stage of overhaul with deadlines, the people are mainly doing small jobs. You'll have electricians checking things, pipefitters maybe still working on a system with their welder right there to do some hangars. The marine machinists will be checking pumps the boilermakers will be doing last second checks on the boilers or tending to deck plates. The painters will be doing their last second touch ups, we insulators will be doing our thing and the ship's crew will be doing their last minute training in the space.

In the earlier parts of the overhaul you'll have more trades, but a lot less people in the space. That's when you'll have the grinders, sparks from welding or carbon arcing, plus some of the adhesives we'd use to get people high as kites......
    We now begin the second part of this thread and pick up on the tour of the USS Kidd
    already in progress standing with our backs to the Jackstaff. This illustration provides the most expansive amount of almost empty square footage available on a Fletcher class destroyer. Only the anchor chains and windlass compete for space as the view extends toward the Number One Mount, (5-incher).
    Attached Files

Comment

" Then we shall go topside and get some fresh air "

I guess the adhesive fumes down in the machinery spaces drove us topside
      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 20 Oct 10,, 21:59.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        " Then we shall go topside and get some fresh air "

I guess the adhesive fumes down in the machinery spaces drove us topside
        Didnt recall seeing "Fire Watch" remember..Safety First!
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 20 Oct 10,, 23:02.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Maybe its late. But the 51 mount seems to be missing in your last photo???

Comment

Agreed there. It looks as though its been removed and the barbette or deck mount plated over. The next structure is mount 52's upper handling room it seems. Mount 51 is missing aboard Kidd.
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Oct 10,, 05:58.

Comment

[QUOTE=blidgepump;763348]
              Originally posted by Ytlas View Post

Ytlas,

I try to imagine 20 workers below deck on an aging warship on a warm sunny day in Southern California in a small confined resonating space built out of steel, using grinders, impact wrenches, cutting torches, and delicate computer measuring devices with inspectors spreading "D" size sheets of paper interpreting shop drawings....... goodness that must be a little slice of heaven. ;)
              WHAT computer measuring devices? The closest we had was a 25-foot Stanley tape or a 6-foot hinged ruler (used mostly by pipe fitters). When I was younger and still in the shipfitter shop, I was the only one on our crew skinny enough to squeeze between some sort of gigantic machine and the forward bulkhead to install the foundation for the Plismol Sword. Our welder had to reach over to tack weld one side but I had to tack weld the other side as he couldn't fit in.

I don't know who they found on Swing shift to do the production welding, but I'm sure he wasn't happy.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Plumbob, Abacus and ectomorphic shipfitter ???

[QUOTE=RustyBattleship;763781]
                Originally posted by blidgepump View Post

WHAT computer measuring devices? The closest we had was a 25-foot Stanley tape or a 6-foot hinged ruler (used mostly by pipe fitters). When I was younger and still in the shipfitter shop, I was the only one on our crew skinny enough to squeeze between some sort of gigantic machine and the forward bulkhead to install the foundation for the Plismol Sword. Our welder had to reach over to tack weld one side but I had to tack weld the other side as he couldn't fit in.

I don't know who they found on Swing shift to do the production welding, but I'm sure he wasn't happy.
                Mr. L,

You're leaving the impression with us younger readers that ship repairs where something akin to "cold iron blacksmithing" in the golden age of the LBNSY.

Comment

Telephoto lens and Photoshop

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  Agreed there. It looks as though its been removed and the barbette or deck mount plated over. The next structure is mount 52's upper handling room it seems. Mount 51 is missing aboard Kidd.
                  The 51 mount is really there in the photo, honest :gunut:

This photo provides a 3/4 profile and allows the viewer to match up the structures to the earlier posted jpeg.
                  Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=blidgepump;763906]
                    Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post

Mr. L,

You're leaving the impression with us younger readers that ship repairs where something akin to "cold iron blacksmithing" in the golden age of the LBNSY.
                    That's exactly right. We were doing complex curve layouts on waxed template paper and forming them either with a hydraulic press or actually forging them in the Blacksmith's shop. I started working there 13 months before Bill Gates was born.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Yes I can see the bottom of Mt 51 now that I look much closer. It blends right in to Mt 52's upper handing structure. My bad.;)
                      Another thing I notice is that the windlass capstan and wildcat share the same mount one over top of the other. Pretty cool.
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 Oct 10,, 01:06.

Comment

51 & 52 Mounts for all to view.

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        Yes I can see the bottom of Mt 51 now that I look much closer. It blends right in to Mt 52's upper handing structure. My bad.;)
                        Another thing I notice is that the windlass capstan and wildcat share the same mount one over top of the other. Pretty cool.
                        This picture provides a better illustration of what Dread & Gun Grape were expecting to see... 2 5-inch/38 cal business dealing weapons.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome pictures, next best thing to being there. Thank you.
                          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

High Resolution Camera

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                            Awesome pictures, next best thing to being there. Thank you.
                            The advance in digital cameras helps quite a bit. All of these jpegs must be resized in Photoshop to meet the requirements for posting. One more picture of the 51 & 52 mount before moving aft.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Would anyone care to compare the utility, performance, firepower etc. of the Fletchers with the roughly contemporaneous British Tribal Class (with the six 4.7inch main armament)?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmike View Post
                                Would anyone care to compare the utility, performance, firepower etc. of the Fletchers with the roughly contemporaneous British Tribal Class (with the six 4.7inch main armament)?
                                One of the obvious things was the 5"/38 ammo being standard on all USN ships from destroyers up, the logistics of supply was greatly simplified over the diverse number of guns in this size range used by the RN.

Comment

Working...
                                X