Page 247 of 247 FirstFirst ... 238239240241242243244245246247
Results 3,691 to 3,692 of 3692

Thread: Destroyers - Fletcher Class

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    When a Fletcher-DD was returned to service after a time in Fleet reserve it was often undated. Common update may include.... Two Hedgehog anti-submarine (ASW) launchers and two torpedo carriages for the Mark 32 torpedo were added, with one 21 inch (533 mm) quintuple torpedo tube mount removed. Also, four 40 mm Bofors twin mounts were often replaced by two quadruple mounts. The forward pole mast is usually the giveaway at a distance of an update when it was replaced by a tripod mast to accommodate improved radar and electronics systems.
    Correct me if I am wrong but The fletchers although the prime Destroyer of WW2 were not suited for upgrades to todays warfare. Hhe hulls could not take the additional weight of the upgrades more did they have the needed real-estate to accept major modern upgrades. They were extremely effective for the mission they were intended for and served the USA well, they were and are beautiful well proportioned ships, none of those ships owed us anything..we owed them....therefore I submit not many Fletchers were returned to service. Although a few saw service in the Korean War and performed admirably. Many of them went to FMS Sales (Foreign Military Sales), a few went to reserves such as the Pineapple fleet out of Pearl
    And few reserve contingents on the East and West Coast. to be truthful I do not believe there is a class of ship currently in the navy inventory now or in the past that has the following the fletchers have. Perhaps the for stackers run a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker9 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but The fletchers although the prime Destroyer of WW2 were not suited for upgrades to todays warfare. Hhe hulls could not take the additional weight of the upgrades more did they have the needed real-estate to accept major modern upgrades. They were extremely effective for the mission they were intended for and served the USA well, they were and are beautiful well proportioned ships, none of those ships owed us anything..we owed them....therefore I submit not many Fletchers were returned to service. Although a few saw service in the Korean War and performed admirably. Many of them went to FMS Sales (Foreign Military Sales), a few went to reserves such as the Pineapple fleet out of Pearl
    And few reserve contingents on the East and West Coast. to be truthful I do not believe there is a class of ship currently in the navy inventory now or in the past that has the following the fletchers have. Perhaps the for stackers run a close second.
    While the Fletchers did not get the FRAM-style upgrades that the Gearing and Sumners did, a quick search shows that a significant number of them sailed for the USN well in the 60s and a few into 1970. So no, it was not cost effective to upgrade them as too many compromises would have had to be made, but they did soldier on for a good long while.

Thread Information