X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access & respect ....

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
    BM9 Wrote:

Well actually, thinking back to the way things were in the 60's, that (asbestos) was just something to be dealt with as a normal part of operations aboard ship. We didn't make an issue of it that I can recall; it was accepted as the way things were and life went on. Certainly not like it has been totally (IMHO) been blown out of proportion in recent history. The photo you've provided does make me think that someone in the staff has failed to do their job in removing/sealing this wad of insulation, esp. in a public area. I wonder how many CASSIN YOUNG or THE SULLIVANS staff members see or read these forum posts.....!
    Just a quick follow up before I take off for Norfolk this week.

The asbestos displayed in the photo is from an area closed to public.
    Access to the forward fire room occurred on the last day of the season.
    An inspection for "leaks" was being conducted before the ship was mothballed for the Winter.
    Respect was given to my docent in obeying the " Do not touch, do not disturb rule of the day ".
    Allowing the general public in such conditions is simply not possible for the obvious reasons.

Some of my photos are to capture illustrations that the general public will never see first hand.
    It saddens me that some members of the general public simply cannot obey the rules when visiting a ship.
    I recall that shortly after visiting 'The Kidd" some wise person made off with some of the ship's china or was it the flat wear (?).
    Thus those "Plastic force fields" get installed or the artifacts simply get removed due to those who can't respect the rules.

I personally attempt to build a relationship with the docents prior to a visit, via, e-mails, references, & sometimes old fashion phone calls.
    If one displays common sense and honors the efforts of those who strive to maintain these museums, access can be granted.
    Without a doubt I've been lucky to have several members of the WAB assist me and I am grateful.
    Last edited by blidgepump; 15 Aug 18,, 13:02.

Comment

• BP,

Thanks for clearing that up - I kind of figured that you had gotten some behind the scenes tour and that was not part of the normal "tour route" on the ship. By your description I'm guessing this is THE SULLIVANS as the one and only time I was up there was during Christmas 1998 and got a few pictures from the pier (actually the car window) as the ship was closed. You are correct in that the public will walk off with the kitchen sink if given the opportunity. It's happened all over NORTH CAROLINA for years and they've used the "Plastic Force Fields" quite liberally, esp. in the engineering spaces.

Good luck in Norfolk, wish I were on the tour with you - would be interesting!

Comment

• Model on display...

bbvet, by chance there is a large scale model of BB-64 on display in Norfolk and i acquired several pictures.
        There was a short B&W film showing an "unrep" with a Fletcher but I didn't have any way to record.
        Two steps forward & 1 back...

Comment

• BP - Will be interested in seeing the photos you've taken - perhaps that B&W film is available somewhere - know the title?

Anyhow, have a great time & tour, etc.!!!

Comment

• Bilge pump enjoy! If you have the chance and if it is open, go down to broadway/gasoline alley to #4 engineroom start down the ladder port side and as you reach the deck/overhead level pause for a seconded just as your head clears the overhead, be careful of your footing, you will then see nothing but engine set! You will see the space filled with just turbines and reduction gear all 55KSHP of it! Just think there are 4 of them. To me it was always amazing! Those huge turbines in such a small space, by comparison. I am very fimaliar with Wisconsin and Iowa these ships were in NISMD Philadelphia Naval in the 70’s when I was stationed at that activity. I got to know them well long before they were Museums. The same with the shangrlala, kidd, caperton, intrepid and a host of others, all with a story to tell if one took the time. As a side note I believe The city of Norfolk berthed the Wisconsin for a period of time and was allowed to give topside tours while still under care of inact ships portsmouth. Evidently The Navy ran out of space to tie her up so they worked a deal of some sort with Norfolk who had already a bid in to make Wisconsin a museum ship so it worked out well. They have done a nice job with her! I was last there in 2012. Please enjoy it is a great tour!

Comment

• Follow up..

Originally posted by Boilermaker9 View Post
              Bilge pump enjoy! If you have the chance and if it is open, go down to broadway/gasoline alley to #4 engineroom start down the ladder port side and as you reach the deck/overhead level pause for a seconded just as your head clears the overhead, be careful of your footing, you will then see nothing but engine set! You will see the space filled with just turbines and reduction gear all 55KSHP of it! Just think there are 4 of them. To me it was always amazing! Those huge turbines in such a small space, by comparison. I am very fimaliar with Wisconsin and Iowa these ships were in NISMD Philadelphia Naval in the 70’s when I was stationed at that activity. I got to know them well long before they were Museums. The same with the shangrlala, kidd, caperton, intrepid and a host of others, all with a story to tell if one took the time. As a side note I believe The city of Norfolk berthed the Wisconsin for a period of time and was allowed to give topside tours while still under care of inact ships portsmouth. Evidently The Navy ran out of space to tie her up so they worked a deal of some sort with Norfolk who had already a bid in to make Wisconsin a museum ship so it worked out well. They have done a nice job with her! I was last there in 2012. Please enjoy it is a great tour!
              BM9,

The journey continues on the USS Wisconsin thread and you are correct that the "Whisky" seems to have been a "lost orphan" after PNY closed down. The "locals" ( i.e. retired field grade officers) recited stories about the ship being moved around Norfolk until a "30-ft ditch was dug" across from City Hall. Two days spent aboard provided the opportunity to inspect every inch permitted by staff while observing the docents, watch a couple of retirement ceremonies and enjoy seeing first time naval novices roam the decks.

Adapting "my plan" to what was "permitted" aboard BB-64 was the largest challenge to date.
              Previous inspections of "The Sullivans" & the "Cassin Young" was met with adventure and enthusiasm both by staff and myself with the recitals posted previously in this thread providing snippets of that energy.

The "New Jersey" was a fond memory event as an 80-year USN Airedale exposed my "virgin eyes" to the Iowa Class BB's, Circa 2002 (?), which proved the inspiration for starting the Fletcher thread.
              So as I continue to research more Fletcher information, I'll be posting also on the USS Wisconsin thread with some "high tech illustrations" such as the illustrations below of the turbine animation in # 1 Fire room.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by blidgepump; 26 Aug 18,, 05:26.

Comment

• Tbs....

Sharing this picture of a snapshot taken in 1969.
                The caption states this is the forward fire room of the USS Nicholas, DD-449.
                Color candid pictures are much appreciated. If you got'em, please share.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Those darn dunce caps ....

USS Nicholas (DD449) tied up to USS Renshaw (DD499). Pearl Harbor, Jun '69 shortly before departing for her last WesPac.
                  (Credit Steve Shadwick....)

Note the difference in mast and dunce caps on the funnels
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Norfolk Pier, circa 1954 .....

Many Fletcher DD's in this aerial photo of Norfolk's navy pier circa 1954.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• 1. What was the purpose of the funnel dunce caps (sorry if you mentioned previously but I can't find it.)

2. Love me some WEAPON ALPHA!!!!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• AlbanyRifles, I believe the black “Watch Cap” was added to the stacks/funnels shortly after the war. About the same time they enlarged the hull numbers. Perhaps the late 40’s early 50’s. Or so. I believe it was done to improve appearance when then went to a peacetime coating system. If one looks at the ww2 images of these ships, soot is evident around the tops of the stacks as a result of smoke. The black enamel Watch Cap Hid the soot deposits. Also you will probably find that everything above the stacks is painted black enamel as well. For the same reason. It helped present the ship as shiney and clean. I believe, since the skirmishes in the Mid East, that the navy went back to a dull grey for the entire ship including the stacks, and greyed out hull #’s. In this case I think it was radar detection as well as camouflage.

Comment

• Nice 1/4 profile...

I like this view of a Fletcher - DD-567, USS Watts.
                          B & W, crisp focus, "No Alpha", hedge hogs open, 3 legged mast, with five 5-inch guns.... "All ahead flank".
                          The Watts was struck by a enemy plane August 11, 1945. Story attached/
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by blidgepump; 07 Sep 18,, 16:24.

Comment

• Boilermaker, thanks. That makes sense.

Blidgepump, great photo...and what a sad story.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• The last mile ...

The last mile for DD-465... USS Saufley, a Fletcher-class destroyer named for pioneering Naval Aviator, Lieutenant Richard Saufley, laid down on 27 January 1942 by the Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, New Jersey; launched on 19 July 1942.

This photo was taken as the Saufley was pushed against the tender to begin decommissioning.

Note the ship retains the single pole mast while fitted out with a covered bridge, Weapon "Alpha", Hedge Hogs and the rear 3-inch guns.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Common modifications ....

When a Fletcher-DD was returned to service after a time in Fleet reserve it was often undated. Common update may include.... Two Hedgehog anti-submarine (ASW) launchers and two torpedo carriages for the Mark 32 torpedo were added, with one 21 inch (533 mm) quintuple torpedo tube mount removed. Also, four 40 mm Bofors twin mounts were often replaced by two quadruple mounts. The forward pole mast is usually the giveaway at a distance of an update when it was replaced by a tripod mast to accommodate improved radar and electronics systems.

Comment

Working...
                                X