Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 215216217218219220221222223224
Results 3,346 to 3,354 of 3354

Thread: Destroyers - Fletcher Class

It's not uncommon today to do the same, cut holes in the deck or side of the hull to remove or embark large items. Computer racks are usually cabled and filled on shore, getting them through the tight passageways, and particularly the ladder wells is very difficult if not impossible. Server rooms are usually located below decks for protection.

Senior Contributor Builder 2010's Avatar
    Well, that certainly answers that question. To a layman, opening up the ship to get something out would freak you out, but to the experienced shipyard workers it would just be another day at the office.

New Fletcher Model

While at my local hobby shop yesterday (Scale Reproductions Inc., Louisville, KY) I was introduced to a new Revell Germany model; a 1:144 large scale Fletcher Class DD Platinum edition that came included with a comprehensive set of PE and machined brass parts with total count at 1,300 pieces, all for about $150.00. I now know the next plastic model I'm going to build. Stay tuned.

The scale allows for beautiful detailing of the smaller guns, the Depth Charge racks and guns, and all the radar and direction finders. At that scale an Iowa ship would be over 6 feet long. I do not have the room to display that, but I had a nice spot for a 31" Fletcher.

Here's some pictures:

Name:  Fletcher Buildup.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  Fletcher Plastic.jpg
Size:  269.0 KB

Name:  Fletcher PE.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  121.0 KB

Name:  Fletcher Brass.png
Views: 76
Size:  836.8 KB

I don't know about you, but if you've got the room for a 31" model and have the inclination to get up to your elbows in some serious detail work, this would make one heck of a Fletcher model for Fletcher lovers.

B2010,

Well, I see that Revell did come thru - that model IS back into production. I am in the early stages of developing 2D CAD drawings for my 3D parts designer (Model Monkey @ Shapeways) to design modified deckhouses for that kit to be converted to a 4-gun FLETCHER (1950s-1960s). I got one of the original kits earlier this year from a fellow modeler in AZ who wasn't going to build it and am now putting together a small cache' of 3D printed parts for use in converting this kit to a later 1960s USS STODDARD (DD-566). We are also working with a researcher/author on getting the correct documentation (photos/plans) in order for these parts to be accurate.
    Name:  DSC03116.jpg
Size:  421.4 KB

The Revell model is of one of the many round-bridge FLETCHERs - mine will be a square-bridge (Seattle built) version. So, this will be another long-term modeling project for me. The photo was taken before the model arrived at it's new home port!

another Fletcher keel is laid ????

Quote Originally Posted by bbvet View Post
    B2010,

Well, I see that Revell did come thru - that model IS back into production. I am in the early stages of developing 2D CAD drawings for my 3D parts designer (Model Monkey @ Shapeways) to design modified deckhouses for that kit to be converted to a 4-gun FLETCHER (1950s-1960s). I got one of the original kits earlier this year from a fellow modeler in AZ who wasn't going to build it and am now putting together a small cache' of 3D printed parts for use in converting this kit to a later 1960s USS STODDARD (DD-566). We are also working with a researcher/author on getting the correct documentation (photos/plans) in order for these parts to be accurate.
    Name:  DSC03116.jpg
Size:  421.4 KB

The Revell model is of one of the many round-bridge FLETCHERs - mine will be a square-bridge (Seattle built) version. So, this will be another long-term modeling project for me. The photo was taken before the model arrived at it's new home port!
    bbvet, this will make an interesting addition to the Fletcher thread as we follow your construction skillset in the many months to come.... please keep us snap together modelers posted....

Quote Originally Posted by Builder 2010 View Post
    Well, that certainly answers that question. To a layman, opening up the ship to get something out would freak you out, but to the experienced shipyard workers it would just be another day at the office.
    Just found a couple photos of an LCS engine being removed.

Name:  1000w_q95-1 removing lcs engine.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  482.1 KB

Name:  1000w_q95-350x233 removing LCS engine.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  23.5 KB

I suppose it is very infrequent to actually remove and entire prime mover from the vessel. If it was routine, they'd probably make the access points removable. Pretty impressive!

It's possible this photo is from LCS-1, a discussion of the engineering failure is in the LCS thread. I probably should have put the photos there instead of here in the Fletcher thread.

CUt a hole....

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    It's possible this photo is from LCS-1, a discussion of the engineering failure is in the LCS thread. I probably should have put the photos there instead of here in the Fletcher thread.
    Glad you did post here, it's a good illustration to the earlier question addressing the method to move, exchange, replace, repair, or drag out of the way a piece of machinery,,,,

Thread Information