Destroyers - Fletcher Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More from the torpedo file ....

The torpedo file has several photos collected since October 2006 ...
    More to follow this week....
    Attached Files

Comment

• Triple mount torps.....

When I toured The Sullivans after touring the Kidd I was lost.
      There were many changes as well as equipment that had been removed / added from the WWII configuration ....
      Attached Files

Comment

• More triple mount torps....

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
        When I toured The Sullivans after touring the Kidd I was lost.
        There were many changes as well as equipment that had been removed / added from the WWII configuration ....

More to follow ....
        Attached Files

Comment

• BP,

Much appreciate the photos - esp. the last two. I'm not into the WWII version, only the cold war era (50s-60s), so KIDD photos don't work much on my project. THE SULLIVANS shots are really good.

So far I've been able to locate 3D Printed parts for the depth charges/rack, hedgehog launchers & stg. boxes, 3"/50 cal dual mounts & ready service lockers (the mounts will need a bit of further detailing for accuracy), and complete sets of 5"/38 single mounts, both styles (sgl/dbl knuckle). The only armaments I may have to scratch build are the Mk. 32 torpedo tube mounts and assoc. equipment (lockers, control panel, service lockers) and the Fanfare Unit on the fan tail. Of course, much of the 01 level will be scratchbuilt as it did change with the times (3" tubs, not 40mm tubs, etc). I've also got Mk. 56 & Mk. 33 as well as Mk. 63 GFCS directors so that's pretty well covered. The mast will be scratched and most communications gear. Some of that I have located on PE sheets, whether it's the right scale is another question. I would like to find some blueprints of these items if they are anywhere to be found, esp. the torpedo tubes.

All in all, when I get to this project, it should be a fairly straightforward build. But, that can always change....

Thanks again,

Hank

Comment

• Torpedos.....

Hank, my best wishes for your continued quest of modeling a Post WW-II Fletcher DD.
            The rehab of the Fletchers and updates appear to be very personal at times.
            I.e., BuShips may not of assigned a # to every change on every ship if the Captain was friends with Navy Yard chief.
            This from many recitals and viewing hundreds of Black & White prints.

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
            BP,

Much appreciate the photos - esp. the last two. I'm not into the WWII version, only the cold war era (50s-60s), so KIDD photos don't work much on my project. THE SULLIVANS shots are really good.

So far I've been able to locate 3D Printed parts for the depth charges/rack, hedgehog launchers & stg. boxes, 3"/50 cal dual mounts & ready service lockers (the mounts will need a bit of further detailing for accuracy), and complete sets of 5"/38 single mounts, both styles (sgl/dbl knuckle). The only armaments I may have to scratch build are the Mk. 32 torpedo tube mounts and assoc. equipment (lockers, control panel, service lockers) and the Fanfare Unit on the fan tail. Of course, much of the 01 level will be scratchbuilt as it did change with the times (3" tubs, not 40mm tubs, etc). I've also got Mk. 56 & Mk. 33 as well as Mk. 63 GFCS directors so that's pretty well covered. The mast will be scratched and most communications gear. Some of that I have located on PE sheets, whether it's the right scale is another question. I would like to find some blueprints of these items if they are anywhere to be found, esp. the torpedo tubes.

All in all, when I get to this project, it should be a fairly straightforward build. But, that can always change....

Thanks again,

Some more pictures for your viewing pleasure..
            Hank
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
              Hank, my best wishes for your continued quest of modeling a Post WW-II Fletcher DD.
              The rehab of the Fletchers and updates appear to be very personal at times.
              I.e., BuShips may not of assigned a # to every change on every ship if the Captain was friends with Navy Yard chief.
              This from many recitals and viewing hundreds of Black & White prints.
              BP,

Thanks for the additional photos and Info. I know exactly what you are talking about - when STOODARD was in her yard period in Long Beach (1967-68) they did some additional fueling at sea mods that weren't done universally; perhaps only to the 3 ships in the drydock at that time. So, all FLETCHERS (obviously) are not equal!!

Hank

Comment

• Fueling station ...

Hank,

A better plan came along in the 1950's as displayed in the attached two photos...
                It rated a sign... anyway ???
                Attached Files

Comment

• I think Fletcher's are the worst when it comes to mods.

First they were built in so many different shipyards. I've been on sister ships in the gator navy, and none are exactly the same.

Second there were so many mods during WW2, both official and some no. As Bildgepump wrote, COs might ask for personal mods for their ships, and it seems that every time a Fletcher docked in WW2 they added more weapons. And stuck them wherever there was room. Some of those weapons being scrounged.

Thats why, as a modeler, you have to pick a ship and a date (year and Month) to base your model on. Between Camo paint design, that could change as soon as the ship got a batch of paint, or since it was painted by ships crew may only be close to the design. Take a look at all the different MS 12 paint jobs. Every ship was different

Then there were different radar/radio antennas and added/subtracted weapons, I would dare say that no 3 Fletchers were the same once they entered the Pacific.

Comment

• Once again, and its simple. Why do people get the flags wrong?

You can see that the modeler spent some time on the model. PE, Rigging. Yet they put the flag everywhere but where its suppose to go. Flagstaff on aft funnel while underway.

(Sorry, a pet peeve of mine)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ussblack1_large.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1471253
                    Last edited by Gun Grape; 24 Jul 17,, 02:31.

Comment

• Thanks to the input by people like Gun, my Missouri has it's flags in the right place. The Fletcher's are a beautifully balanced design (like the Iowas).

Comment

• Flags.....

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        Once again, and its simple. Why do people get the flags wrong?

You can see that the modeler spent some time on the model. PE, Rigging. Yet they put the flag everywhere but where its suppose to go. Flagstaff on aft funnel while underway.

(Sorry, a pet peeve of mine)

[ATTACH]44232[/ATTACH]
                        Your point is well taken GG.
                        It cheapens the profile of a Fletcher ( IMO ) with flags posted everywhere.
                        So... it was an honor to hoist the colors one early Sunday morning aboard the Cassin Young in Boston Harbor....
                        It was so "early" that the park hadn't opened.....
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by blidgepump; 24 Jul 17,, 03:35.

Comment

• The ship in the adjoining drydock ....

Your point is well taken GG.
                          It cheapens the profile of a Fletcher ( IMO ) with flags posted everywhere.
                          So... it was an honor to hoist the colors an early Sunday morning aboard the Cassin Young in Boston Harbor....
                          It was so "early" that the park hadn't opened.....

The ship in the adjoining drydock had her colors flying as well!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Another view... Portside ...

Hank,

A better plan came along in the 1950's as displayed in the attached two photos...
                            It rated a sign... anyway ???
                            This view of the refueling station shows the port side...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Another view of the stern ....

Some pictures from the Cassin Young....
                              So many pictures... this one is for Hank!
                              "The Smoking lamp is lit aft of the 55 gun."
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                                So many pictures... this one is for Hank!
                                "The Smoking lamp is lit aft of the 55 gun."
                                Negative, No Smoking within 50ft of ammunition!!!

This safety rule drove home to me when the Battery XO observed that I was standing at the powder pit with a charge 7 white bag increment in my left hand and a Marlboro in my right hand.

You know its not going to be a good day, when the XO comes on the hook and says "Gun 3, When LCpl Dumbass finishes his smoke, Have him report to me with a shovel and a 5 gal water can"

Comment

Working...
                                X