Page 217 of 218 FirstFirst ... 208209210211212213214215216217218 LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 3257

Thread: Destroyers - Fletcher Class

  1. #3241
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    More from the torpedo file ....

    The torpedo file has several photos collected since October 2006 ...
    More to follow this week....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #3242
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    Triple mount torps.....

    When I toured The Sullivans after touring the Kidd I was lost.
    There were many changes as well as equipment that had been removed / added from the WWII configuration ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #3243
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    More triple mount torps....

    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    When I toured The Sullivans after touring the Kidd I was lost.
    There were many changes as well as equipment that had been removed / added from the WWII configuration ....

    More to follow ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #3244
    Patron bbvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Apr 14
    Location
    near Wallburg, NC
    Posts
    159
    BP,

    Much appreciate the photos - esp. the last two. I'm not into the WWII version, only the cold war era (50s-60s), so KIDD photos don't work much on my project. THE SULLIVANS shots are really good.

    So far I've been able to locate 3D Printed parts for the depth charges/rack, hedgehog launchers & stg. boxes, 3"/50 cal dual mounts & ready service lockers (the mounts will need a bit of further detailing for accuracy), and complete sets of 5"/38 single mounts, both styles (sgl/dbl knuckle). The only armaments I may have to scratch build are the Mk. 32 torpedo tube mounts and assoc. equipment (lockers, control panel, service lockers) and the Fanfare Unit on the fan tail. Of course, much of the 01 level will be scratchbuilt as it did change with the times (3" tubs, not 40mm tubs, etc). I've also got Mk. 56 & Mk. 33 as well as Mk. 63 GFCS directors so that's pretty well covered. The mast will be scratched and most communications gear. Some of that I have located on PE sheets, whether it's the right scale is another question. I would like to find some blueprints of these items if they are anywhere to be found, esp. the torpedo tubes.

    All in all, when I get to this project, it should be a fairly straightforward build. But, that can always change....

    Thanks again,

    Hank

  5. #3245
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    Torpedos.....

    Hank, my best wishes for your continued quest of modeling a Post WW-II Fletcher DD.
    The rehab of the Fletchers and updates appear to be very personal at times.
    I.e., BuShips may not of assigned a # to every change on every ship if the Captain was friends with Navy Yard chief.
    This from many recitals and viewing hundreds of Black & White prints.



    Quote Originally Posted by bbvet View Post
    BP,

    Much appreciate the photos - esp. the last two. I'm not into the WWII version, only the cold war era (50s-60s), so KIDD photos don't work much on my project. THE SULLIVANS shots are really good.

    So far I've been able to locate 3D Printed parts for the depth charges/rack, hedgehog launchers & stg. boxes, 3"/50 cal dual mounts & ready service lockers (the mounts will need a bit of further detailing for accuracy), and complete sets of 5"/38 single mounts, both styles (sgl/dbl knuckle). The only armaments I may have to scratch build are the Mk. 32 torpedo tube mounts and assoc. equipment (lockers, control panel, service lockers) and the Fanfare Unit on the fan tail. Of course, much of the 01 level will be scratchbuilt as it did change with the times (3" tubs, not 40mm tubs, etc). I've also got Mk. 56 & Mk. 33 as well as Mk. 63 GFCS directors so that's pretty well covered. The mast will be scratched and most communications gear. Some of that I have located on PE sheets, whether it's the right scale is another question. I would like to find some blueprints of these items if they are anywhere to be found, esp. the torpedo tubes.

    All in all, when I get to this project, it should be a fairly straightforward build. But, that can always change....

    Thanks again,


    Some more pictures for your viewing pleasure..
    Hank
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  6. #3246
    Patron bbvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Apr 14
    Location
    near Wallburg, NC
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Hank, my best wishes for your continued quest of modeling a Post WW-II Fletcher DD.
    The rehab of the Fletchers and updates appear to be very personal at times.
    I.e., BuShips may not of assigned a # to every change on every ship if the Captain was friends with Navy Yard chief.
    This from many recitals and viewing hundreds of Black & White prints.
    BP,

    Thanks for the additional photos and Info. I know exactly what you are talking about - when STOODARD was in her yard period in Long Beach (1967-68) they did some additional fueling at sea mods that weren't done universally; perhaps only to the 3 ships in the drydock at that time. So, all FLETCHERS (obviously) are not equal!!

    Hank

  7. #3247
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    Fueling station ...

    Hank,

    A better plan came along in the 1950's as displayed in the attached two photos...
    It rated a sign... anyway ???
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  8. #3248
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,396
    I think Fletcher's are the worst when it comes to mods.

    First they were built in so many different shipyards. I've been on sister ships in the gator navy, and none are exactly the same.

    Second there were so many mods during WW2, both official and some no. As Bildgepump wrote, COs might ask for personal mods for their ships, and it seems that every time a Fletcher docked in WW2 they added more weapons. And stuck them wherever there was room. Some of those weapons being scrounged.

    Thats why, as a modeler, you have to pick a ship and a date (year and Month) to base your model on. Between Camo paint design, that could change as soon as the ship got a batch of paint, or since it was painted by ships crew may only be close to the design. Take a look at all the different MS 12 paint jobs. Every ship was different

    Then there were different radar/radio antennas and added/subtracted weapons, I would dare say that no 3 Fletchers were the same once they entered the Pacific.
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

  9. #3249
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,396
    Once again, and its simple. Why do people get the flags wrong?

    You can see that the modeler spent some time on the model. PE, Rigging. Yet they put the flag everywhere but where its suppose to go. Flagstaff on aft funnel while underway.

    (Sorry, a pet peeve of mine)

    Name:  ussblack1_large.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  101.8 KB
    Last edited by Gun Grape; Yesterday at 02:31.
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

  10. #3250
    Senior Contributor Builder 2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 May 11
    Location
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanks to the input by people like Gun, my Missouri has it's flags in the right place. The Fletcher's are a beautifully balanced design (like the Iowas).

  11. #3251
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    Flags.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Once again, and its simple. Why do people get the flags wrong?

    You can see that the modeler spent some time on the model. PE, Rigging. Yet they put the flag everywhere but where its suppose to go. Flagstaff on aft funnel while underway.

    (Sorry, a pet peeve of mine)

    Name:  ussblack1_large.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  101.8 KB
    Your point is well taken GG.
    It cheapens the profile of a Fletcher ( IMO ) with flags posted everywhere.
    So... it was an honor to hoist the colors one early Sunday morning aboard the Cassin Young in Boston Harbor....
    It was so "early" that the park hadn't opened.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by blidgepump; Yesterday at 03:35.

  12. #3252
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    The ship in the adjoining drydock ....

    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Your point is well taken GG.
    It cheapens the profile of a Fletcher ( IMO ) with flags posted everywhere.
    So... it was an honor to hoist the colors an early Sunday morning aboard the Cassin Young in Boston Harbor....
    It was so "early" that the park hadn't opened.....

    The ship in the adjoining drydock had her colors flying as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #3253
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    Another view... Portside ...

    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Hank,

    A better plan came along in the 1950's as displayed in the attached two photos...
    It rated a sign... anyway ???
    This view of the refueling station shows the port side...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #3254
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,435

    Another view of the stern ....

    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Some pictures from the Cassin Young....
    So many pictures... this one is for Hank!
    "The Smoking lamp is lit aft of the 55 gun."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  15. #3255
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,396
    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    So many pictures... this one is for Hank!
    "The Smoking lamp is lit aft of the 55 gun."
    Negative, No Smoking within 50ft of ammunition!!!

    This safety rule drove home to me when the Battery XO observed that I was standing at the powder pit with a charge 7 white bag increment in my left hand and a Marlboro in my right hand.

    You know its not going to be a good day, when the XO comes on the hook and says "Gun 3, When LCpl Dumbass finishes his smoke, Have him report to me with a shovel and a 5 gal water can"
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 18 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 18 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WWII Destroyers
    By Master Chief in forum Naval Warfare
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 23 Feb 13,, 00:29
  2. Iowa Class vs Kirov Class
    By eocoolj in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 12 Jun 08,, 00:02
  3. Modernized Iowa Class versus Essex WWII Carrier Class
    By talshiar in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 16 Aug 07,, 03:34
  4. What Should the Next Gen Destroyers....
    By Tibbetts in forum Naval Warfare
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 13 Jan 06,, 18:23
  5. Kidd Class vs Sovremmeney Class
    By BUFF in forum Naval Warfare
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 03 Jan 05,, 04:42

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •