No announcement yet.

Destroyers - Fletcher Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should wander over to my two model threads that lie on Modeler's Corner in this same website. They reside at the top of the list. My two contributions are an extensive and on-running journal to build a large model railroad in my basement. The thread is over five years old and covers the entire build including benchwork, track work, wiring, and many building and scenery projects. Unfortunately, all the early photos are gone. The other thread is right below it and is a detailed build of a 1:32 scale TBM-3 Avenger with added details. I did a third thread back in 2012 which was the building of a hi-scale USS Missouri in 1:350, but all of those pictures were lost.

I've been building since I was 8 and I'm now turning 72. Do them all, ships, planes, boats, trains and cars. No particular eras or types, just enjoy it and have been getting more and more sophisticated now doing a lot of scratch-building/enhancing.

Sorry about the hijack too.

Comment

• Liberty Call ....

Originally posted by Builder 2010 View Post

Sorry about the hijack too.
      Builder 2010 the old timers taught me years ago to not be concerned about "a thread being hijacked" .... as it always wanders back on course after stopping to visit points of interest.
      Let's refer to these events as "Liberty Call" ????

Comment

• BP,

OK, Liberty Call it is!!! I've asked B2010 about this so I'll ask you also - in your sojourns from DD to DD, have you taken any photos of the Fanfare Unit on the fantail of THE SULLIVANS? It is a piece of sonar gear (I think) that is on the port fantail - consists of a large cable reel and curved shield in front of the reel. I'm looking for details/dimensions etc. in order to either scratch build one or have my 3D guy design and make printable parts. It also may possibly be on the JOS. KENNEDY or CASSIN YOUNG (I doubt this). If you do, could you post the photos, etc.?

I'm going to have to share this thread with a fellow Navy vet who was an MM2 on CORAL SEA and EPPERSON in the '80s - the photos/text regarding the boiler/engine/fire rooms. He'll go ape over those - he's a mech. engineer and is always bringing up things about the ship's plant and so forth. He's not into forums/computers/models, etc. but I'm sure will enjoy seeing "his old stomping grounds" again. Once again, this thread is a really good source of reference materials.

Hank

Comment

• Parts list ....

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
          BP,

OK, Liberty Call it is!!! I've asked B2010 about this so I'll ask you also - in your sojourns from DD to DD, have you taken any photos of the Fanfare Unit on the fantail of THE SULLIVANS? It is a piece of sonar gear (I think) that is on the port fantail - consists of a large cable reel and curved shield in front of the reel. I'm looking for details/dimensions etc. in order to either scratch build one or have my 3D guy design and make printable parts. It also may possibly be on the JOS. KENNEDY or CASSIN YOUNG (I doubt this). If you do, could you post the photos, etc.?

I'm going to have to share this thread with a fellow Navy vet who was an MM2 on CORAL SEA and EPPERSON in the '80s - the photos/text regarding the boiler/engine/fire rooms. He'll go ape over those - he's a mech. engineer and is always bringing up things about the ship's plant and so forth. He's not into forums/computers/models, etc. but I'm sure will enjoy seeing "his old stomping grounds" again. Once again, this thread is a really good source of reference materials.

Hank

Here are some illustrations I think you desire.... did you have an interest in the 3-inchers, too?
          Attached Files

Comment

• BP,

THANKS!! That's exactly what I needed. I did find one photo in my stash of STODDARD in 1968 that shows the fantail, but these are much more detailed close-ups which will work extremely well for building the parts. Zooming in I'm able to read the placard on the after side of the shield - "Antisubmarine Warfare (ASW) Winch and Noisemaking 'Fish'" - so, that basically gives you the purpose of the unit without saying much else. I can't recall whether the red and blue painting of the "fish" is exactly ALNAV, but maybe my Ping Jockey shipmate in Idaho can provide an answer.

I know I spent many nights in 1966-67 crouched down behind that shield on mid-watch trying to catch a smoke without being seen by either the phone talker in Mt. 33 Tub or the bridge watch. We were, of course, on Blacken Ship while patrolling off the NVN coast. Those were the days - Wet & Wild!!!

I may take a stab at drawing up 2D views of this unit first (I do have a photo of the fantail of STODDARD from her Booklet of General Plans that I can somehow get printed to scale) and then see if my 3D designer friend would want to make a 3D product design for it for various scales. I'm already considering asking him about designing the 3"/50cal dual mount - and that will take some work. Along those lines, if you have any photos of the 3"/50 mounts that you think might help, by all means posting them would be great. My only visit to THE SULLIVANS was at Christmas 1998 and it was closed, so my photos are distance shots only and not all that good.

Once again, this thread is proving extremely valuable as a modeler's resource.

Hank

Comment

• Bligepump,

I've often wondered about The Sullivans & Little Rock in Buffalo winters. I lived there as a boy growing up an dmy brother still lives there.

What I've always wondered is how do they keep the ice from Lake Erie from crushing the hulls? Or are they located far enough within the ice booms its not an issue?

Thanks
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Low bridge everybody down .... On the Erie Canal ....

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Bligepump,

I've often wondered about The Sullivans & Little Rock in Buffalo winters. I lived there as a boy growing up an dmy brother still lives there.

What I've always wondered is how do they keep the ice from Lake Erie from crushing the hulls? Or are they located far enough within the ice booms its not an issue?

Thanks
                I recall the discussion of the wind action on Lake Erie driving the storm surge from west to east creating a wall of water than bangs against the eastern end of the Lake where the Erie Canal starts at the stern of the Little Rock & The Sullivans. A hole had to be dynamited for the Little Rock to sit in as the rock shelf which provided the dramatic "Niagara Falls" a few thousand feet down stream does not offer enough depth otherwise. Perhaps the flow of the water keeps the ice from building up? I'll reach out to my contact for a definitive answer... Good question !
                Attached Files

Comment

• An updated and improved dual ASW weapon.

BP,

THANKS!! That's exactly what I needed. I did find one photo in my stash of STODDARD in 1968 that shows the fantail, but these are much more detailed close-ups which will work extremely well for building the parts. Zooming in I'm able to read the placard on the after side of the shield - "Antisubmarine Warfare (ASW) Winch and Noisemaking 'Fish'" - so, that basically gives you the purpose of the unit without saying much else. I can't recall whether the red and blue painting of the "fish" is exactly ALNAV, but maybe my Ping Jockey shipmate in Idaho can provide an answer.

I know I spent many nights in 1966-67 crouched down behind that shield on mid-watch trying to catch a smoke without being seen by either the phone talker in Mt. 33 Tub or the bridge watch. We were, of course, on Blacken Ship while patrolling off the NVN coast. Those were the days - Wet & Wild!!!

I may take a stab at drawing up 2D views of this unit first (I do have a photo of the fantail of STODDARD from her Booklet of General Plans that I can somehow get printed to scale) and then see if my 3D designer friend would want to make a 3D product design for it for various scales. I'm already considering asking him about designing the 3"/50cal dual mount - and that will take some work. Along those lines, if you have any photos of the 3"/50 mounts that you think might help, by all means posting them would be great. My only visit to THE SULLIVANS was at Christmas 1998 and it was closed, so my photos are distance shots only and not all that good.

Once again, this thread is proving extremely valuable as a modeler's resource.

Hank
                  This photo from the USS Barry, before she was hauled away to the scrappers shows a Dual system....
                  Attached Files

Comment

• BP,

Thanks so much - these photos are extremely helpful!

Hank

Comment

• 3-inch ???

BP,

Thanks so much - these photos are extremely helpful!

Hank
                      Hank,

I have a 20 or so jpegs of the dual 3-inch guns, too.
                      Those can be posted if there is an interest....
                      here are 4 samples for your review...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Please post more!

Comment

• BP,

Yes, please post more of the 3"-50's. Currently, the Mk. 56 director is available in various scales from Shapeways (Model Monkey catalog) - I helped in the design of that 3D printed model part. The 3"-50cal dual mount is not being produced (at least, not in the scale I need it to be), and this may prove to be the one sticking point in the construction of this model. I do have a couple scaled drawings of the mount in addition to a few photos, so any further info is always good to have.

Thanks,

Hank

ps - your last photo shows the extent of maintenance work needed on this particular mount - it's indicative of the constant work needed to maintain these museum ships.
                          Last edited by bbvet; 03 Jul 17,, 11:38. Reason: adding additonal info from photos above

Comment

• The Hornet is in the final process of getting our 3 inch gun restored and I'll put the pictures in the Hornet thread.

Comment

• CV's got 3-incher, too.....

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              The Hornet is in the final process of getting our 3 inch gun restored and I'll put the pictures in the Hornet thread.
                              An example?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• More 3-inch photos....

Originally posted by Builder 2010 View Post
                                Please post more!
                                Slow loading for some reason ...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X