Page 214 of 214 FirstFirst ... 205206207208209210211212213214
Results 3,196 to 3,207 of 3207

Thread: Destroyers - Fletcher Class

Comparing the throttle board .... BB vs. DD

Okay a little fun this evening to shake the thread watchers back to a state of attentiveness....

Ever wonder what an Iowa class BB main gauge board looks like when compared to a Fletcher class DD ??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

8 boilers vs. four .....

Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Okay a little fun this evening to shake the thread watchers back to a state of attentiveness....

Ever wonder what an Iowa class BB main gauge board looks like when compared to a Fletcher class DD ??
    In response to a PM I've been ask to remind followers that Iowa's had 8- boilers vs. the four in a Fletcher { fast attack } DD ;^)

1,111,111 + views and rising ....

Another milestone in the Fletcher thread with over 1,111,111 visits.

Iowa BB firebox vs a Fletcher DD boiler ....

Another treat for the Fletcher Thread followers ....

Jpegs illustrating the comparison of an Iowa class BB boiler to a Fletcher class DD boiler....

Life on a Fletcher .....

http://www.navyhistory.org/2013/07/l...stroyer-1950s/

This link recites a narrative written in the first person by Captain George Stewart, USN (Retired) .
    It's a little long but is full of nuggets for the Fletcher enthusiast.... enjoy!!

TImes have changed....

http://www.navyhistory.org/2013/07/l...stroyer-1950s/

This link recites a narrative written in the first person by Captain George Stewart, USN (Retired) .
    It's a little long but is full of nuggets for the Fletcher enthusiast.... enjoy!!
    "The Fletcher class destroyers had a wartime complement of 329 personnel. That number was necessary to allow around the clock manning of gun mounts, repair parties, and other watch stations. The peacetime manning was 14 officers and 236 enlisted men. About 12 of the enlisted men were Chief Petty Officers. Naval philosophy in those days was to man the ships with a large number of personnel and little use was made of automatic controls or other labor saving devices. Much of this philosophy was a carry over from the days of sailing ships. The wartime philosophy was essentially that “manpower was cheaper than technology”. My how times have changed ??????

A weakness in design.....

A sailor's thoughts on a "the Fletcher class destroyers" one major weakness.

"It was necessary to go outside on the weather deck in order to get from the forward to after parts of the ship. During heavy weather such as the typhoon, one end of the ship was effectively cut off from the other. During the typhoon, our gunnery officer was nearly washed overboard when he had to go out on deck to ensure that the ship’s depth charges were secured. He wound up hanging onto a lifeline. To get to the main engine control station, I had to go outside on the main deck and enter through a vestibule that led into the ship’s laundry. I saw a large wave breaking over the ship and I grabbed onto a valve handwheel on the superstructure and held on tightly. I was submerged from head to foot. Later destroyer designs, including the Sumner and Gearing classes incorporated an enclosed passageway inside the superstructure."

An illustration ....

"It was necessary to go outside on the weather deck in order to get from the forward to after parts of the ship. During heavy weather such as the typhoon, one end of the ship was effectively cut off from the other. During the typhoon, our gunnery officer was nearly washed overboard when he had to go out on deck to ensure that the ship’s depth charges were secured. He wound up hanging onto a lifeline. To get to the main engine control station, I had to go outside on the main deck and enter through a vestibule that led into the ship’s laundry. I saw a large wave breaking over the ship and I grabbed onto a valve handwheel on the superstructure and held on tightly. I was submerged from head to foot. Later destroyer designs, including the Sumner and Gearing classes incorporated an enclosed passageway inside the superstructure."
    A couple of pictures to illustrate the "weakness" in design... displaying how a sailor / snipe would gain access to the forward and aft engine rooms on a Fletcher class-DD.... ( Up and Down the ladder )

The laundry room on a Fletcher- DD.....

"It was necessary to go outside on the weather deck in order to get from the forward to after parts of the ship. During heavy weather such as the typhoon, one end of the ship was effectively cut off from the other. During the typhoon, our gunnery officer was nearly washed overboard when he had to go out on deck to ensure that the ship’s depth charges were secured. He wound up hanging onto a lifeline. To get to the main engine control station, I had to go outside on the main deck and enter through a vestibule that led into the ship’s laundry.."
    A view of how a sailor entered the laundry room from the Port side , ...
    Last edited by blidgepump; 21 Jun 17, at 11:20.

Green water ....

A view of how a sailor entered the laundry room from the Port side , ...
    After visiting the three (3) Fletchers [ all with laundry rooms some what intact ] tied to dolphins I could appreciate how the challenge of exiting the engine and making your way to another part of the ship in heavy rolling seas with the decks awash would cause some dissatisfaction with the crew.... " Green Water be darned "....

I've started reading thru your FLETCHER thread - extremely interesting and great photos. I've noted that I can't see the photos as posted on your early pages up thru page 186 or so - I'm wondering why. Any clues or so forth would be appreciated.

I usually check out the IOWA Class threads and Battleship Board but in prep. to build a FLETCHER class DD model, I am perusing this thread as it is quite informative. I've tried sending you a PM, but that didn't work either - perhaps the weather! or Ruski hackers!!

Anyhow, an excellent thread for the FLETCHER class enthusiast!

bbvet

ps - also served in DD-566 (STODDARD) 1966-68

Senior Contributor Builder 2010's Avatar
    The web site had a major failure/crash at that time. All the images on all the threads prior to that occurrence are gone. It's kind of tragic, but that's life in the cyberworld.

Thread Information