1st vs last deployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st vs last deployment

Well, I'm currently on my last deployment in the US Navy. It's amazing how much has changed in 17 short years, from women being onboard our combatants to the loss of the F-14 Tomcat on the carriers (being replaced by the much inferior F-18 Super Hornet) to the way we train.

But this will be about the way our work up/training cycles used to be, compared to the way we train now. I'm not going to say it's a bad thing, where we constantly train year round vice how we used to "surge" our training in the few months prior to a deployment but you sure do get tired of all the drills that come out of the wood work that continue as we are deployed. I really haven't noticed a down turn in the quantity of the drills we do compared to a few months ago... this is just a simple thing I've noticed...

This being my last deployment, and most likely my last time being 2000 miles away from land and nothing but the deep blue sea surrounding me I'm sure going to miss it..

Can't comment on your take of the "modern" Navy or the changes that have taken place. My navy service was back in the days when we still lived in WWII barracks. Irony would have it that my son-in-law's first duty station was also mine, NAS Kingsville, TX, although back then it was NAAS... All the old barracks and hangars have been replaced. I cherish my service time although I did only one tour (plus one call-up), and I thank you for yours. Good luck in your afterlife.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
      Well, I'm currently on my last deployment in the US Navy. It's amazing how much has changed in 17 short years, from women being onboard our combatants to the loss of the F-14 Tomcat on the carriers (being replaced by the much inferior F-18 Super Hornet) to the way we train.

But this will be about the way our work up/training cycles used to be, compared to the way we train now. I'm not going to say it's a bad thing, where we constantly train year round vice how we used to "surge" our training in the few months prior to a deployment but you sure do get tired of all the drills that come out of the wood work that continue as we are deployed. I really haven't noticed a down turn in the quantity of the drills we do compared to a few months ago... this is just a simple thing I've noticed...

This being my last deployment, and most likely my last time being 2000 miles away from land and nothing but the deep blue sea surrounding me I'm sure going to miss it..
      My advice... Enjoy every moment of it. You will look back again one day and everything will have changed several times over since your last time. Good Luck!;)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post

Makes me feel proud just to be associated with you through the WAB.
        Thank you for the long service!
        I hope your remaining travels will be safe and filled with success.
        How long will this deployment last?
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

till sometime next spring.. if it's 6 months, I'll be back home middle of March.. We just crossed into the "Realm of the Golden Dragon" last night, and while I've been there for a vacation with my wife, I'll be visiting PI for the first time in the Navy WHOOO.. no I won't be doing the normal Sailor thing, but I do want to visit with family that I've never seen in person, just talked to on the phone so that should be cool as hell..

Comment

This is your thread, dun, so excuse me for staying a bit. I was staying with a friend on the Chesapeake this weekend who works at Pax river. When he offered to take me on base for a revisit, I thought of you and what I may have missed from my time in. I was called up and stationed at Pax in 1961-2 with my VP squadron during the Cuban missile crisis (ever hear of that?). We were there 7 months except for a 6-week deployment to Gitmo. So I accepted the invitation to see what had changed and what I'd feel seeing the place again for the first time since those days. I didn't expect it, but my old hangar was still there looking like it did back then. It was a rush seeing it...and for a moment I missed those days. I know what you're in store for. Thanks for inspiring me to take a step back in time.
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Working...
            X