Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Runaway" Media has lost sight of what is real.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Runaway" Media has lost sight of what is real.....

'Runaway' media has lost sight of what's real
    By Renйe Graham, Globe Staff | May 3, 2005

Given the amount of coverage, one might have thought it was Osama bin Laden discovered in Albuquerque, N.M.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was, of course, a 32-year-old Duluth, Ga., woman -- the ''runaway bride" as newscasters have giddily dubbed her -- whose nasty case of pre-wedding willies has metastasized into the kind of media whirlwind once exclusively, but now rarely, reserved for actual news.

Ever since the revelation of Jennifer Wilbanks's stupid decision to duck out of her lavish wedding, scheduled for last Saturday, by pretending to have been kidnapped, there's been a dizzying parade of mental health professionals, criminal profilers, bridal counselors, and current and former prosecutors waltzing across TV screens to explain it all.

MSNBC had an hourlong special, hosted by that headache-inducing Dan Abrams, which aired throughout the weekend, and, no doubt, will clog up several more time slots in the coming days and weeks. ''Today" trumpeted its exclusive yesterday with one of Wilbanks's bridesmaids. CNN polled viewers as to whether stupefied groom-to-be John Mason should still marry Wilbanks.

(Even as the network was reporting the Wilbanks story, its ''news ticker" offered this accidental juxtaposition, in a promo for an upcoming topic on its weekend program, ''In the Money": ''Why isn't the US media covering the genocide in Sudan, very much, if at all?")

On ''Today," host Matt Lauer said of Wilbanks, ''As Ricky Ricardo would say, 'She's got some 'splainin' to do.' " All of the morning news shows yesterday had Georgia officials making the rounds to answer the same dull questions.

''We'll look back on how a case of bridal jitters turned into this kind of story," MSNBC's Abrams said with the kind of outraged incredulity one feels watching Abrams himself.

Yeah, Dan, why don't we just do that? It all began last week with an evergreen media favorite -- the disappearance of a young, attractive white woman. (How is it that media is collectively uninterested in missing women who are black, Asian, or Hispanic? Or average-looking? Or middle-aged?)

Even as newscasters and people like that awful Nancy Grace of CNN Headline News summoned up their best furrowed-brow gravitas, you almost see images of Laci Peterson dancing in their sharky little eyes. Here was another potential family tragedy they could exploit through the coming summer months. By Friday, they were already hinting -- with enough force to get the point across, but not so much that they could be later sued -- that Wilbanks's fiance could be a suspect.

Once the story was uncovered as a hoax, it should have been reported as such, and then dismissed. Instead, it was inflated into something of national importance, when really it concerns no more than family and friends of those involved, as well as the law enforcement officials who wasted time and energy looking for Wilbanks.

Yet like a big, dumb dog with more might than sense, the media just can't let this go. Scratching and clawing for new angles, they've interviewed other women who have skipped out on their nuptials, and, for no discernible reason, even Tom Smart, uncle of Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart, who was kidnapped in June 2002 and found and returned to her family nine months later.

Don't expect it to end any time soon. You can bet there's an unholy amount of jockeying -- will it be Katie? Barbara? Oprah? -- to score the hot ''get," the first interview with Wilbanks herself.

This is a golden moment for media hoaxes. First, there was the finger-in-the-Wendy's chili story, which garnered lots of airtime before the woman who made the accusation was arrested and charged with grand larceny. Then there was that quartet of mooks who convinced everyone -- except the Methuen police -- that they discovered more than $100,000 in old US currency while digging in a friend's backyard. Now, they're facing various charges, and police say they stole the money from the rafters of a Newbury barn.

As anyone who's ever pulled a practical joke knows, it always helps to have an gullible mark. These days, there's no greater dupe than the broadcast and cable news networks, which are more preoccupied with stories of water-cooler interest than those which are important or necessary. To wit, the misguided actions of one marriage-wary woman trumped coverage of the latest spike of violence in Iraq and North Korea's recent test of a short-range missile.

In an intense competition to top each other on the ''runaway bride" story, all that's been achieved is a dubious race to the bottom of journalistic standards by a runaway media, which, sadly again, has more than a little'splainin' to do.

http://www.boston.com/ae/media/artic...of_whats_real/
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Originally posted by MIKEMUN
    It all began last week with an evergreen media favorite -- the disappearance of a young, attractive white woman. (How is it that media is collectively uninterested in missing women who are black, Asian, or Hispanic? Or average-looking? Or middle-aged?)

Even as newscasters and people like that awful Nancy Grace of CNN Headline News summoned up their best furrowed-brow gravitas, you almost see images of Laci Peterson dancing in their sharky little eyes. Here was another potential family tragedy they could exploit through the coming summer months. By Friday, they were already hinting -- with enough force to get the point across, but not so much that they could be later sued -- that Wilbanks's fiance could be a suspect.
    Funny, I was thinking both of those things. Take one young, attractive white woman (PVT Jessica Lynch vs SPC Shoshana Johnson anyone?), add the words "bride" and "wedding" and have her disappear. Then remember Laci Peterson and VOILA'! Ever seen Jaws? Same thing, just no Roy Scheider or Richard Dreyfuss.
    I thought that for sure that her fiance was going to be charged with her disappearance, just for good measure. As the article said, the media sure has hell would have LOVED to have that happen

Disgusting...absolutely disgusting. My contempt and loathing for the media hit rock bottom and started digging a LONG time again. At this rate, I'll hit the Earth's core sometime next week
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Well, "News" went out of fashion a decade or two ago. News departments in media companies are all under the auspices of the Entertainment divisions. There is no "news" any more, just infotainmant.If you actually take a look at the media companies you'll see that several even actually call the news division their Infotainment Division.

Hard hitting investigative reporting is an anachronism. Corruption doesn't get nearly the ratings of a runaway bride so they dish out what the public wants to see - base trailer park scandal, the latest Survivor or Real Gilligan's Island "news".

If you really want to do something about it - stop watching/listening. Ratings (and therefore advertising revenue) are the only thing the entertainment companies listen to. If "Real" news has higher ratings then that's what we'll get. Otherwise we'll be kept up to date about Aunt Polly's Tryst with Farmer Joe in nausiating detail while The Tom Delay Corruption investigations get the 20 second sound byte near the end of the broadcast.
      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of the government by an individual, by a group or any controlling private power."
      -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Comment

I don't get why they haven't been saying that making the false report over the telephone is a federal crime. What's really sad in this case is the fiance, HE STILL WANTS TO MARRY HER

Comment

Originally posted by illusha
          I don't get why they haven't been saying that making the false report over the telephone is a federal crime. What's really sad in this case is the fiance, HE STILL WANTS TO MARRY HER
          Spend that much on a wedding and you sure as hell are going to want to get your money's worth
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Ok, this is what he should do. First, try to get a refund or pawn everything they got for the wedding, then fly to africa and sell that ***** as a slave. Or he could just torture her for the fun of it but he sounds like a dumbass and peaceloving christian so I doubt he would do it. People like him make me sad :( People like me who come up with these great ideas make me scared :)

Comment

Originally posted by illusha
              Ok, this is what he should do. First, try to get a refund or pawn everything they got for the wedding, then fly to africa and sell that ***** as a slave. Or he could just torture her for the fun of it but he sounds like a dumbass and peaceloving christian so I doubt he would do it. People like him make me sad :( People like me who come up with these great ideas make me scared :)

That might be taking a joke a bit too far, but yeah this guy does seem like a doormat. I wonder how old he is?

Comment

"People like me who come up with these great ideas make me scared "

LOL....classic.

Comment

The Georgia woman known as the runaway bride who touched off a massive search when she disappeared is suing her ex-fiancee for $500,000.

Jennifer Wilbanks took off just days before her lavish wedding in 2005, ending up in Las Vegas and New Mexico and making international headlines while hundreds searched for her back home in suburban Atlanta.

Wilbanks and John Mason broke up for good in May and now she's asking for $250,000 as her share of a home Mason purchased with money they got for selling their story to an agent. Atlanta television station WAGA says the lawsuit also seeks $250,000 in punitive damages.

Wilbanks initially claimed to have been abducted and sexually assaulted but later recanted, saying she ran due to personal issues.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,219125,00.html
                  Is she serious? I think this clown owes her ex at least that amount for what she put him through while she was off galavanting across the US pretending to have been abducted.
                  "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                  X