Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lotsa great American political news out there today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotsa great American political news out there today...

...and NObody in here wants to talk about:

Palin backs uber-longshot...and he WINS! Slate is shown to be a gang of political hacks writing what the fervently wish had happened, instead of, YOU know, actually reporting events as they are.

Oh, and the fire-bombing of Carnahan's campaign HQ, blamed on them violent teabaggin' hater/racists? Actually, it was a deeply-committed, long-time radical lefty dickbag that actually worked FOR Carnahan.

Oh, there's SO much more. Rubio leading in Florida, a wave building behind conservatives everywhere (even in California!), and Obama's popularity sinking and his 'hate the bastard' rating approaching Dubya territory...

NObody's been watching this stuff? NObody's interested? Frankly, I'm just fascinated.

WORSE.

THAN.

CARTER.

And I told you this before he was even inaugurated.

They are all busy arguing over a mosque. Like I said, the distraction worked.

I'm excited about Rubio, though he is one of the very few I am. Wish more like him would run here, but all we have are career pols. Speaking of which, John McCain suckered AZ reps one more time.

Comment

Whatdaya mean nobody is paying attention.

Add this one to your list. Ain't politics fun...

In Mich., A 'Tea Party' Is Denied Spot On Ballot : NPR

In Mich., A 'Tea Party' Is Denied Spot On Ballot

by Don Gonyea

August 24, 2010

A state election board in Michigan has refused to certify a new political party called The Tea Party for the November election ballot. But the push to block ballot access for this Tea Party came from members of the Tea Party movement in Michigan. They allege the whole thing was part of a plan hatched by Democrats.

It is one of several places around the country this year where potential third-party movements are looking to capture votes of discontented independents.

The petitions contained nearly 60,000 signatures — far more than the required 38,000. Except nobody affiliated with the Tea Party movement in the state had even heard of the plan to field a slate of candidates under the Tea Party name in November.

Splitting The Vote

Ken Mitts of Kalamazoo says a new political party is not something that real Tea Partiers want.

"What it does is it splits the Republican Party and it gives the Democrats more control over what's going on," Mitts said. "What we want to do is support candidates who follow the Constitution."

Stories emerged raising questions about who was behind the petitions to get the Tea Party party on the ballot. There were accusations of political mischief-making in order to confuse voters and siphon votes from Republicans in close state legislative and congressional races. Then, over the weekend, an official with the Democratic Party's Oakland County branch in suburban Detroit resigned his post after it was learned that he had recruited candidates to run under the Tea Party banner. But both the Michigan and the Oakland County Democratic parties deny any connection to the Tea Party party.

Challenge To Petition

Against this backdrop, the Board of State Canvassers convened Monday to decide the validity of the new party's petition, and to hear a formal challenge.

"The fact that the petitions were not submitted to the secretary of state before circulation to get approval of petitions, the fact that several of the candidates were nominated and didn't even know there was a convention — some of the candidates aren't even residents of Michigan — and the fact that some of the candidates aren't even the age of majority shows that this is just an [artifice] and a hoax, and it's meant to bring more disdain for the political process," said attorney John Pirich, who represents what he called the real Tea Party movement.

Tea Party activists from across the state spoke at the hearing, arguing that their movement had been hijacked.

"None of you would help your child cheat on an exam, and I'm sure none of you would let your family and friends participate in a Ponzi scheme," said activist Dianne Ruhlandt. "Doing the right thing in the political world should not be any different than doing the the right thing in our homes and at work."

Along Party Lines

On the other side, attorney Michael Hodges represented the group trying to get onto the ballot. He was the only person at the hearing to speak in support of the petition. He said the group had earned its spot on the ballot legally.

"No one has complained about the sufficiency of the signatures, and no one filed a challenge to the signatures," Hodges said.

But the Board of State Canvassers also looked at potential technical violations regarding the petition. The name of the party wasn't set in the required 24-point type, and on some petitions the word "The" before the words "Tea Party" was absent.

There are four members on the board: two Democrats and two Republicans who split along party lines. Because a majority is needed, the so-called Tea Party party was denied a spot on the ballot.

But an appeal will be filed within days, and the state Supreme Court is expected to get the case within weeks.

Ballot access controversies are hardly new. Attempts to field spoiler, minor-party candidates have a long history. But this year there may be added incentive because of voter discontent with both major parties.

Richard Winger, who publishes a newsletter called Ballot-Access News, says independent voters are worth watching closely.

"When times are bad, people are more interested in getting outside their normal habits," he said.

And, Winger says, Michigan's Tea Party controversy aside, it could be the best year for independent candidates and third parties in many decades.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

What can I say that hasn't been said? The American people elected a pile of lefty f**kbags into offices around the nation and are somehow suprised and horrified that they govern like lefty f**kbags. This started in 2006 with the "teach the Repubs a lesson" pissed-off-o-cans ushering in a Democratic congress (thanks guys!). And President Obama, being a lefty punk himself, is just icing on that cake. Pretty crappy icing, too.

So I'm interested, informed, and energized, but barring alien intervention we'll definitely get the House back with a vengeance, and probably get real close in the Senate. And then we'll see some REAL change as the liberal mainstream press switches from glorifying Obama and the Democrats and vilifying Republicans and conservatives, over to vilifying Republicans and conservatives and glorifying Obama and the Democrats. Can't WAIT for a different color of urine to trickle down my back from those clowns.

But much of the problem is the people, not the pols. NONE of my liberal friends have any idea of ANY of the legislative or executive scandals, efforts, policies, (failures or successes, economic, scientific, or foreign policy), or stories of the last 18 months. They colored in the straight D ticket, pinned their "I VOTED!" buttons on, and went back to whining about Bush and Cheney, Rush and Beck, and global warming, Partisan I can respect, but almost to a man, they are abysmally ignorant of anything remotely touching on science, economics, governmental theory and philosophy, or the rest.

But I'm the "Neocon whore" to them, the scary guy who "denies" global warming, likes Bush, carries a gun, and when many of the above topics are brought up, comes armed with facts in addition to opinions, as well as the occasional "I don't really have a valid opinion on that."

-dale

Comment

The Barracuda strikes again!!!!
          "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Oh, I'm paying lots of attention. Even voted in the primaries in my State for the very FIRST time a couple of weeks ago. I will vote now at EVERY opportunity after doing my homework. :)

Comment

Julie, a wise man once said "You should always vote. There may be nothing you want to vote for, but there is sure to be something you want to vote against."

I voted in our primary a couple weeks ago. We had a good turnout of repubs, this should translate well in November. I don't think we can knock off Patty Murray, but we'll give it a good try.
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Did'nt work here, I saw it for what it was. When said Mosque issue is over and they loose, the idiot politician that even proposed such a thing should be fired and the peoples tax money that payed (Nancy's investigation etc etc) for all the bullshit that went along with it should be recovered from New Yorks state budget.

It takes alot of balls for New York Polititicians to make such an outragous offer of funding it if they choose to move it. Thats taxpayer money being paid so they will consider moving it.

Theres ALOT of people in New York politics that should be fired over this no doubt and RIGHT NOW!

Piles of taxpayers money burned on this brainless fiasco as if times arent hard enough as it is you have assholes like this dreaming up newer ways of blowing taxpayer money on things that have absolutely ZERO to do with serving the taxpayers interests.

Whomever uses taxpayers money to pay them to move the Mosque should not only be fired but thrown in jail as well and send politics a message from the people:

Stop blowing our tax money on stupid political bullshit and start serving the people's interests instead. Jobs, Economy, Infastructure, Education, Relief for Seniors etc!

And stop making deals that you know would aggrivate the common good without putting it to a legal vote of the people. Assholes!
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 26 Aug 10,, 17:50.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

^^^ I think the mosque thread is over yonder, Dread...
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Gov. David A. Paterson said Tuesday that he would consider offering state-owned property to the developers of a $100 million Muslim center and mosque if they decided to build it farther from ground zero.

*State owned property which the people of New York have paid for by taxes he conviently leaves out no less.

The governor, wading into a fierce national debate over freedom of religion, said “there is no reason why” the center, known as Park51, should not be built as planned, two blocks from the former World Trade Center.

But Mr. Paterson said he understood the heated opposition to the building, which some see as an affront to the memory of those killed in the Sept. 11 attack.

*Some people? Polls seem to indicate more then just "some".

“I’m very sensitive to the desire of those who are adamant against it to see something else worked out,” Mr. Paterson said at a news conference in Midtown Manhattan, where he was discussing efforts to curb identify theft.

Mr. Paterson added, “Frankly, if the sponsors were looking for property anywhere at a distance that would be such that it would accommodate a better feeling among the people who are frustrated, I would look into trying to provide them with the state property they would need.”

*State owned property that YOU dont own, the taxpayers own! And if you "give" it too them its the equivilent of giving them the taxpayers money as well.

The governor’s remarks added a new wrinkle to the months-long battle over the Islamic center.

*There shouldn't be a months long battle if you used common sense and the wishes of those that pay YOUR salary!

Critics of the project, a wide-ranging group that includes Sarah Palin, the former Republican vice-presidential candidate, members of the Tea Party and the Anti-Defamation League, an influential Jewish organization, have assailed it as an unnecessary provocation. Some have pledged to organize efforts to block its construction.

*Notice the political slant of this, he failed to mention the people of New York. He only mentions his political rivals and the Jewish.

But supporters, including Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, have championed the center as a symbol of religious tolerance. A spokesman for Mr. Bloomberg said he would have no comment on Mr. Paterson’s remarks.

*Tolerance is giving those the right to practice religion like all religions and a place to in the community. Tolerance doesnt mean allowing this real eastate deal to go through on Political agenda's. Plenty of other places to build it, look around, Manhattan doesnt have enough empty buildings to choose from to knock down and construct the Mosque?

Mr. Bloomberg delivered a passionate defense of the Islamic center and mosque last week. But a Marist poll released on Tuesday found that 53 percent of registered voters in New York City disagreed with the mayor and said the mosque should not be built near ground zero.

*This means it takes a "poll" for him to keep the peoples best interest in mind. Should he need a reminder of what his job actually is?

The developer of the project, Soho Properties, plans to construct a tower of as many as 15 stories that will include a 500-seat auditorium and a swimming pool, in addition to a prayer space. It will be modeled on the Y.M.C.A. and Jewish Community Center in Manhattan. Soho Properties did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

*Fine. Build the project outside the area. There's your tolerance, and just think, you respect the peoples wishes as well. Both a win-win. Except for you loose your political agenda. Seems fair.

Last week, the project appeared to clear a final hurdle when the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission gave permission to tear down the existing building, at 45-47 Park Place in Lower Manhattan.

But before it becomes a reality, the project may require the approval of the state’s Public Service Commission because part of the site is owned by Consolidated Edison. The commission oversees the telecommunications industry in New York and a sale by Con Ed would need its approval.

On Tuesday, Mr. Paterson said he expected the commission to make a decision free of political considerations

*Dont bet on this one. They all have political influences and everybody knows it as well. Who do you think you are fooling?

“We’re still suffering in many respects from that horrible day,” Mr. Paterson said, saying the center “ignites tremendous feelings of anger and frustration.”

*No the frustration is in those people that pay your salary and you and the Mayor agreed to it without keeping the peoples best interests in mind. Something you are paid for by the State ergo the taxpayers money. So start acting in their interests already.

“To whatever extent we can,” he added, “we can ease what may be the frustrations of those who would think that this was improper.”

*As has been seen, the people dont want it there so stop wasting their money in trying to convince them of your political agenda! Make them build it somewhere else and not on taxpayer paid for "State Property"
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 26 Aug 10,, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      Gov. David A. Paterson said Tuesday that he would consider offering state-owned property to the developers of a $100 million Muslim center and mosque if they decided to build it farther from ground zero.
                      Doesn't that violate the "establishment clause" of the Constitution?
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Doesn't that violate the "establishment clause" of the Constitution?
                        Gun, one wonderful thing about this Administration is that they opened the door for people to see this political and money wasting nonsense. Half of the politicians out there right now belong in jail for the money they have wasted and defrauding the people of what that money is intended to pay for.

I'm not sure if it violates the Constitution but if I was a New Yorker and he gives this "state owned " land to developers (as in a political pay off for a backfire in the deal) I would want his ass out of office and behind bars. Its about time the people starting seeing some of these politicians for the crooks they really are and this one above is no different. Just think of how much tax payers money are being burned on this political diversion. They dont want the people to see the Democrats are failing this country and so are Republicans. The elections are coming soon and a time for the people to boot this bunch.

The people are being shafted and their best interests not looked after but yet they are the ones paying the bills for all of this. Each and everyone of us.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 26 Aug 10,, 18:47.

Comment

Hey...I voted for Bob Barr in 2008 ;)
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Same here buddy! This conscience is clear!:)

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                              ^^^ I think the mosque thread is over yonder, Dread...
                              Your a real bastid ya know that;), sides I promised I would post on that thread anymore anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X