Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

578 MILLION dollars for a public school???? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 578 MILLION dollars for a public school???? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?????

Aug. 23) -- The Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools, the nation's most expensive public school ever built, is set to open in Los Angeles next month, The Associated Press reports. The school is on the grounds of the former Ambassador Hotel, where Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1968. Portions of the old hotel remain -- the Coconut Grove nightclub has been transformed into an auditorium, the hotel diner has become a teacher's lounge, and the ballroom where Kennedy was shot will be a library.

The school takes a place next to the country's other so-called "Taj Mahal" schools, which all came at a cost of more than $100 million. (The real Taj Mahal, by comparison, cost an estimated 62 million Indian rupees to build at the time, which comes to about $687,286 American, not adjusted for inflation.) Below, Surge Desk takes a look at these costly centers of learning.

1. Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools, Los Angeles
    Price: $578 million
    Students: 4,200
    Size: 452,000 square feet
    Amenities: Fine art murals, marble memorial, swimming pool, 19,000-square-foot public park

The Most Expensive Public High Schools in America
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

A few hundred million here, a few hundred million there, pretty soon you're talkin' real money.

California's current budget deficit is $20 billion. The state's revenue is somewhere around $100 billion. Where California goes, the nation follows.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Do away with the dept of education and stop federal funding for schools. So easy a cave man could it.......but we won't!

Comment

But public education is a RIGHT!!! I can't find it in the Constitution but I'm sure it's in there somewhere. We just have to look harder.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

"and the ballroom where Kennedy was shot will be a library."
          IIRC -- RFK was shot in the Hotel Kitchen - while leaving through the "back door"
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Haha, that's one of the lowest performing school districts in the country too. They'll probably graffiti those million dollar murals...
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Is this where they will teach EBONICS?

My area is in desperate need of a new High school as it is already 130% of capacity and all the lower grades are increasing. It would be nice to get a new building, do some shifting and dump some of the....ancient, and inefficient grade schools to lower operating costs but that is already a hard sell. This Californian monstrosity just made it that much harder.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                But public education is a RIGHT!!! I can't find it in the Constitution but I'm sure it's in there somewhere. We just have to look harder.
                7th/ gunnut,

come one guys, you penny pinch on these costs and you look for years of "discrmination" charges ahead. Public education is one of the few areas which should be supported, just to ensure that everyone gets some sort of minimum level of boost, if nothing else.

A half a billion dollar school is indeed a monstrosity, though
                "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Ooooppps....

Forgot about this thread.

So anyway a few days ago, I was sitting in a balcony of a sports bar in Mid-Wilshire waiting for a friend and was on my iphone, just wasting time when I saw this thread.

Had to laugh because the school in question was right in front of me so I thought I'd take a pic with my phone from the vantage point of the bar and share it with you guys since you're all such big fans of this school. :))

Seriously, this school is a joke.

It's smack dab in the middle of the business district of Mid-Wilshire which has massive traffic during business hours and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if an already horrible traffic congestion through here gets much worse at best or kills alot of student at worse.

The picture I took is the front of the school with numerous buildings in the back that you can't see from the pic. The front is mostly finished but the back is still being worked on 24/7. It is appx. 8 blocks in size (the back of the school is much bigger than the front, which you see here here) and it has a huge underground parking lot.

And this is the kicker for you folks that think this school is too excessive....

The 2nd and 3rd on the list of most expensive schools are within 3 miles of this monstrosity...and they've been already spending a fortune getting rid of the graffitti and other vandalism on those schools.

And you begin to wonder why this state....this city is so f*cked up.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowFever; 01 Sep 10,, 09:07.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                    7th/ gunnut,

come one guys, you penny pinch on these costs and you look for years of "discrmination" charges ahead. Public education is one of the few areas which should be supported, just to ensure that everyone gets some sort of minimum level of boost, if nothing else.

The LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District) is reportedly spending appx. $15,000 per kid per year and it has one of the worse grade averages in the nation. How much money do they spend in your area? in China? in India? in Iran? ANYWHERE ELSE with much better results?

It's not a matter of money spent but the way they are going about it.

I blame it on the stupid liberal politicians in this city and the Teachers union, which to this day, still moans about the lack of money being spent on the children.

It's always "For the Kids" for these bleeding hearts.

And anybody that even questions their methods are "mean-spirited".
                    Last edited by YellowFever; 01 Sep 10,, 08:57.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                      7th/ gunnut,

I support public education, but once upon a time in America, before the federal dept of education, states funded thier schools, parents had and did take a more active role in the school and thier childs education. The DoE took all that responsibility away. They have turned the whole educational experience into a cookie cutter indoctrination.

Education needs to be regional besides a basic curriculum, which is something that is literally non-existent these days, hence the types of waste you see. It is also why we have seen a surge in independent day schools and parochial schools. The parents who still care about thier kids education are sick of the kool-aid stand ed thier kids are getting from a bloated and inefficient federal bureaucracy.

Don't get me wrong though. I support education 100%. It is the most important aspect of living a responsible, productive life. I think the way it is now though actually hinders that. Evidenced as well by the US below par rating compared to other countries. We used to be leaders in the world, but we are quickly slipping.

Comment

if you move education only to the local level, won't you end up with stuff like YEC being teached as science is 1/3 of the country?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEMUN View Post
                          The school takes a place next to the country's other so-called "Taj Mahal" schools, which all came at a cost of more than $100 million.
                          I wouldn't call a school for $100 million all that costly. One of the secondary schools here is currently being renovated for about $30 million, because completely demolishing and newly building it (was evaluated) would bring the cost to similar regions...

(then again our university is currently spending $1.3 billion dollar on new prestigious clinics, and the coal plant i get my district heat from is building a new generator bloc for 1.5 billion dollar - so it's all relative...)

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                          The LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District) is reportedly spending appx. $15,000 per kid per year and it has one of the worse grade averages in the nation.
                          Now that's always a relative thing though. My state in Germany is spending approximately $6,000 per kid per year (on 1.7 million primary/secondary students) - but only about 1.5% of that is investment in new buildings, almost 90% is staff salaries.

@Tarek: Want me to remind you that here in Germany the federal goverment doesn't spend a single cent on primary or secondary education? ;)
                          Last edited by kato; 01 Sep 10,, 16:07.

Comment

Want me to remind you that here in Germany the federal goverment doesn't spend a single cent on primary or secondary education?
                            I know that, but we don't have to worry about our children getting taught that earth was created 6000 years ago in science classes, despite what Karin Wolff might hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                              despite what Karin Wolff might hope for.
                              First person i thought of when reading the first half of that sentence... btw, wasn't it in Kassel where two private schools were busted for promoting Intelligent Design? (or using books heavily suggesting Intelligent Design or something like that)

Comment

Working...
                              X